Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Oakview Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

Oakview Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T18N, R4W Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada


There is currently no available information to show where Oakview township got its name.

Oakview township has had three communities. Based on the establishment of its Post Office June 30, 1890, the earliest community was Standard, located in section 12. The second community was Perth in section 9, with its Post Office being established May 22, 1899. The record shows that Perth got its name from Perth, Kansas. With the construction of the railroad, Standard and Perth merged and moved to a location on the railroad approximately half way between Crescent and Marshall, also in section 9. This new community was named Lovell, after James Lovell, the townsite developer. The Standard Post Office officially closed March 31, 1904, with its mail being transferred to Crescent. The Perth Post Office officially had its name changed to Lovell on February 12, 1906.

The green highlight on the map represents the track of the Denver, Enid and Gulf Railroad (1902-1907) when it was purchased by the Santa Fe. It is still in operation under the Burlington Northern/Santa Fe. In November of 1998, 42.8 miles of this line from Guthrie to Fairmont in Garfield County was purchased from the BN/SF by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Initial planning is to operate light freight service during the week with excursion trains being run on the weekend from Guthrie to Enid and back, with operation to began in mid to late 1999.

Only one "formal" cemetery is known in Oakview township. It is called Oakview-Banner or Banner North and is located in the SW 1/4 of section 21.

A second burial location, known as the McManus Gravesite is located in the SW 1/4 of section 10.

A total of 6 schools, all of which were white only, are known to have been in operation in Oakview township. Two of the schools were known by the name of Oakview, and the Highview school, started in a log cabin, was the school at Lovell. They are:

School District Closed Section
Banner
7
7/16/47
NE29
Highview
6
6/19/25
SE5
Oakland
9
9/10/13
SW35
Oakview
5
6/19/25
N11
Oakview
10
6/11/20
SE32
Racket
8
7/16/47
NW25


|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:24 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!