Logan County (OK) Researchers Homepage
Click here to break out of frames

Orlando Township, Logan County, Oklahoma

Orlando Township
Logan County, Oklahoma

T19N R2W Indian Meridian



map image

Researched, written, © and map provided by: Bob Chada


Orlando Township gets its name from the town of Orlando. First called Cherokee, Orlando came into being July 18, 1889. Orlando most probably gets its name from Orlando Hysell, the townsite developer. A second town of Frederick was started east of the railroad from Orlando, but it never developed. A third township plat for a town to be called Cherokee City, again just east of Orlando, was filed June 20, 1891, but this town also failed to develop. orlando sign
Photo provided by Bob Chada                   

The green line on the map represents the original Southern Kansas Railway Company trackage which was laid in 1887. This line was used by settlers during the run of 1889. The line is now owned and operated by the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe.

Six cemeteries have existed in Orlando Township. Zion, or Mount Zion is located on the north boundary of section 9, the Tedford on the east boundary of section 11, Morris Heights on the south boundary of section 13, and Pleasant Valley on the south boundary of section 20. The record shows that a Lutheran cemetery was once in the southeast quarter of section 1 and that there was a cemetery "southeast of Orlando Townsite." Nothing is currently known about these last 2 cemeteries.

Morris Heights Cemetery.

Pleasant Valley Cemetery.

Tedford Cemetery.

Zion Cemetery.

The only cemetery located close to Orlando township is some 3 miles north of Orlando in Noble County, and is known as the German Cemetery.

Orlando has had the only Post Office to operate in the township. It opened July 18, 1899.

Four schools operated on Orlando Township, and they are listed below:

School District Closed W/B Section
Grandview
47
7/6/12
W
SW13
Pleasant Valley
46
4/16/29
W/B
SE21
Star
45
4/16/47
W
SE5
Orlando
44
Now combined with Mulhall
   


The outlaw Oliver "OL" Yantis, a member of the Bill Doolin gang, was killed November 30, 1892 on the McGinn farm near Orlando by Dodge City Sheriff C. M. Beeson, Marshalls Chris Madson, Heck Thomas and Tom Houston and others. He is buried in lot 171 of the Rose Lawn cemetery at Mulhall. Check here to see a picture of Olivers headstone.



|Township Index Page|  |Logan County Researchers Homepage|


Updated: Friday, 08-Aug-2008 16:00:24 CDT

This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.

© by Tammie Chada

The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.

All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!