Transcribed by G McCall from:
A HISTORY OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
By Luther B. Hill, A. B., With the Assistance of Local Authorities, Volume II, Illustrated, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago / New York, 1909, Page 323-324
ALEXANDER ANGUS DAVIDSON, a well known lawyer of Muskogee, was for years one of the most popular masters of chancery in the territory and was also prominently identified with the affairs of the Cherokee nation during the working of the Dawes Commission which accomplished so much toward establishing the legal status of the Five Civilized Tribes. A single glance at the name indicates the honorable and ancient Scottish origin of Alexander Angus Davidson--in fact both sides of his family were pure Scotch as far back as historic records are in existence. Mr. Davidson himself was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, January 20, 1866, and is a son of Alexander and Susan (Angus) Davidson. Until he was sixteen years of age he attended the public schools of his native city and was then apprenticed to William Sinclair, a manufacturing chemist of Aberdeen. His five years of service in this line made him thorough master of all branches of the drug business and when twenty-two years of age he came direct to Chicago. He did not apply himself, however, to the line with which he was so familiar but accepted a place as a farm hand near the town of Manteno, Kankakee county, Illinois. This work proved rather distasteful and his knowledge of drugs and medicine enabled him to secure a position in the Eastern Illinois Hospital for the Insane, at Kankakee, not far from the scene of his farm labors. He assumed his new duties in 1889 and remained with that institution for two years. In the meantime he had made considerable progress in the study of medicine but decided after all to adopt the legal profession. After studying for some time himself he became a regular student at the old Union College of Law, Chicago, continuing there for one year, or until it was merged into the Northwestern University, and he afterward continued his course at the Kent College of Law, from which he was graduated in 1893, with the degree of L.L. B.
During the year of his graduation he located for practice at Kankakee, associating himself with A. L. Granger, under the firm name of Granger and Davidson and continued in this connection for the following five years. Three years of private practice followed and in 1901 he received an appointment in connection with the legal branch of the department of the interior and in that capacity accompanied the Dawes Commission to Muskogee, Indian Territory. He himself was assigned to service in the Cherokee Nation, being located at Tahlequah until 1904 when he received the appointment of master of chancery for the northern judicial district of the Federal court for the Indian Territory. He thus served until 1907 when he assumed a similar position in the western district of the court and filled that with credit , with his office at Muskogee, until Oklahoma became a state. With the realization of statehood Mr. Davidson returned to private practice associating himself with Charles W. Bliss in the formation of the law firm of Bliss and Davidson. Besides conducting a large and growing practice he is a director in the First National Bank of Muskogee and widely participates in all public enterprises which promote the general welfare of the county. On November 17, 1896, Mr. Davidson married Miss Alexis Wallwork, of Kankakee, Illinois, and their three children are: Ruth, Mary T. and Angus A. Davidson.