Transcribed by G McCall from:
A HISTORY OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
By Luther B. Hill, A. B., With the Assistance of Local Authorities, Volume II, Illustrated, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago / New York, 1910, Page 204-206
William M. Gibson, Jr. The state of Oklahoma has many retail mercantile establishments conducting operations upon a truly metropolitan scale, and among the prominent and successful concerns of this order is that conducted by the firm of Gibson Brothers at Webber’s Falls, Muskogee county. Of this firm the subject of this review is the senior member, and he is known as a reliable and progressive business man of marked ability and as a citizen of the utmost loyalty and public spirit. He has contributed his quota to the progress and upbuilding of this favored section of the state and is well entitled to representation in this historical compilation.
Mr. Gibson is a native of the Lone Star state and a scion of one of its pioneer families. He was born in Cook county, Texas, in 1877, and is a son of William M. and Louisa (Tulley) Gibson, the former of staunch Scotch lineage and the latter of Scotch-Irish ancestry with one-sixteenth infusion of Cherokee Indian blood on the maternal side. William M. Gibson, Sr., was born in Missouri, and his wife was born in Arkansas. He is a son of James Gibson, who was one of the early settlers of that state and who lost his life while serving as a Confederate soldier in the Civil war. William M. Gibson, Sr., was reared and educated in Texas, and became one of the early settlers of Grayson county, that state, from whence he later removed to Cook county. In the early days he owned and operated a flour mill in Grayson county, and the same secured its power from one of the old-time overshot water wheels which are now obsolete and practically unknown to the generation born since the Civil war. In 1882 Mr. Gibson engaged in the mercantile business at Collinsvile, Texas, where he continued to reside until 1892, when he removed with his family to the Canadia district of the Cherokee nation, now a part of the state of Oklahoma. He took up his residence in Webber’s Falls, which was then a small and insignificant village, and here established a general store, becoming one of the pioneer merchants of the place and building up a substantial business, in which he continued until 1899, when he was succeeded by his sons and removed to Wagoner, where he has since maintained his home. He was there engaged in the general merchandise business for some time and has since given his attention to the real-estate business, in which he has conducted extensive operations. He is known and honored as one of the substantial business men and influential citizens of Oklahoma.
William M. and Louis (Tulley) Gibson became the parents of six children, namely: Nola, who is the wife of James D. Canary, of Caney, Kansas; James E., who is a representative business man of Wagoner, Oklahoma; William M., Jr., who is the immediate subject of this review; Marion W., who is junior member of the firm of Gibson Brothers, in which he is associated with William M., Jr.; Nettie, who is the wife of Homer Ellington, of Wagoner; and Minnie Gibson, deceased. The devoted wife and mother was summoned to the life eternal in 1883, and in 1891 the father contracted a second marriage, being then united to Miss Sallie Bugg, of San Antonio, Texas. They have one daughter, Cassie.
William M. Gibson, Jr., secured his educational discipline at Sherman, Texas, and Tahlequah, Oklahoma, and he early began to assist his father in the latter’s business affairs. In 1898 he and his brother Marion W. succeeded to the mercantile business established by their father in Webber’s Falls, and through their energy and progressive policy they have greatly expanded the scope and importance of the same, which now represents one of the leading mercantile enterprises of this section of the state. The large and well appointed establishment has numerous departments, devoted to dry-goods, groceries, clothing, boots and shoes, hardware, farming implements, etc., and the average stock carried represents an investment of about eighteen thousand dollars,--a fact that stands indicative of the magnitude of the business controlled by the firm, both of whose members command unqualified confidence and esteem in the community with whose varied interests they are closely identified. Besides giving their attention to this magnificent enterprise the Gibson Brothers are owners of a large amount of valuable realty in Muskogee county, where they have a number of well improved farms, devoted to diversified agriculture and stock-growing. Both brothers stand exponent of that progressive spirit and vital energy which have brought about the magnificent development of the fin new commonwealth of Oklahoma, and their aid and influence is given to all measures and enterprises which tend to advance the general welfare of the community. The subject of this sketch is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, in whose ranks he has rendered effective service, though he has never had aught of aspiration for the honors or emoluments of the public office. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist church in his home town and gives a liberal support to the various departments of its work.
In the year 1901 Mr. Gibson was united in marriage to Miss Minnie E. Buchanan, who was born and reared in Sherman, Texas, a daughter of John M. and A. A. (Pierce) Buchanan, early settlers of that state. Mr. Buchanan took up his residence in Sherman, Texas, in 1861, and he and his wife still maintain their home in that place. Mrs. Gibson was summoned to the life eternal on the 28th of November, 1908, and is survived by one daughter,--Hazel W.