Transcribed by G McCall from:
A HISTORY OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
By Luther B. Hill, A. B., With the Assistance of Local Authorities, Volume II, Illustrated, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago / New York, 1910, Page 247-248
Frank S. Good. Standing prominent among the wide-awake, hustling business men of Council Hill, Muskogee county, is Frank S. Good, who established the first grain elevator and grist mill in this place, and has since managed both profitably and to the great advantage of his fellow townsmen. A son of the late Peter Good, he was born, in 1863, in Rockingham county, Virginia.
A Virginian by birth and breeding, Peter Good followed the tide of emigration westward when a young man, going first to Missouri, where he spent a short time, from there removing to Fort Scott, Kansas, which was then a mere trading post on the Kansas frontier. After his marriage he returned to Virginia and spent the year of 1863 in Rockingham county. Returning to Kansas in 1864, he opened a hotel at Fort Scott, and managed it successfully for nearly a score of years. Locating in Liberty, Kansas, in 1885, he bought a tract of prairie land, and for a time was there engaged in tilling the soil. He afterwards carried on farming in Sumner county, Kansas, for awhile, from there coming to the Indian Territory and taking up his residence in what is now Pawnee, where his death occurred at the age of sixty-six years, in 1903. He was twice married. He married first Margaret Tipton, of Missouri, by whom he had two children, namely: John H., of Kiowa, Oklahoma, and Frank S., the subject of this brief sketch. He married second Susie Berdie, of Kansas, and they reared two children, Rachel, wife of John Harvey, of Angola, Kansas, and Andy E. L.
Although he attended school but six months of his life Frank S. Good acquired a practical education through his own efforts mainly, learning to read and write while herding cattle and sheep, and in the meantime receiving some assistance evenings from his father. At the age of fourteen years he began to be self supporting, working first as a farm hand for eight dollars a month, his wages being raised a little each season. At the end of eight years, having by wise economy and prudent expenditure saved some money, Mr. Good rented land in Montgomery county, Kansas, and in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, and carried on farming for himself for a year. In 1883 he came to Oklahoma and engaged in agricultural pursuits near Oklahoma City. When Kiowa county was opened up for settlement Mr. Good drew a quarter of section of land, and having partly improved it sold it in 1905 to a good advantage. Coming immediately to Council Hill he with others erected the first elevator and grist mill built in this vicinity, and has since carried on a substantial business. His elevator has a holding capacity of ten thousand bushels, while his mill can grind out one hundred and fifty bushels of meal a day.
Mr. Good married, in 1883, Mary Vails, who was born in Arkansas, a daughter of W. B. and Sarah Vails, now residents of Luther, Oklahoma. In 1861 Mr. Vails enlisted in the Confederate army, and served in the Trans-Mississippi department until 1865. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Vails, seven of whom are living, as follows: Susie, wife of Jesse Foster; W. S., of the state of Washington; Mary J., wife of Mr. Good; George W.; J. F.; J. W.; and Dora M., wife of John Spell.
Mr. and Mrs. Good are the parent of nine children, namely: Myrtle; Ivry, wife of Charles Case, postmaster at Council Hill; William, who married Elsie Roseboon; Mary; Walter; Herbert; Carl; Earl; and Opal. Politically Mr. Good votes the Republican ticket at national elections, but in local issues is independent, voting with the courage of his convictions. Fraternally he is a member of Council Hill Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Religiously Mrs. Good is a worthy member of the Christian church.