Transcribed by G McCall from:
A HISTORY OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
By Luther B. Hill, A. B., With the Assistance of Local Authorities, Volume II, Illustrated, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago / New York, 1910, Page 165-166 (Illustrated)
Dr. George A. McBride, a leading physician and surgeon of Fort Gibson, was born in Charleston, Missouri, August 4, 1865, a son of W. D. and Mattie M. (Hagood) McBride, native of Tennessee and northwestern Arkansas, respectively. The McBride family originally emigrated from Scotland, settling first in Tennessee. W. D. McBride served in the Confederate army, in the Western Department, under Captain Guthrie, of Charleston, Missouri. He took part in many minor engagements and served under General Jeff Thompson, of southern fame. Mr. McBride removed to Washington county, Arkansas, in 1868, and in September, 1892, located in the Territory. He built the second residence in what is now Fort Gibson, which is still standing. He took a prominent part in affairs, served some time as postmaster of Fort Gibson, also filled the office of notary public for six or eight years, as well as several other offices. He married a daughter of Lewis Hagood, Mattie M., in 1862, of Cane Hill, Arkansas. They are the parents of four children now living, namely: E. C., of the Choctaw Nation; George A.; Mamie, wife of Connie Dogle, of Sedalia, Missouri; and Voldine, of Fort Gibson. Mr. and Mrs. McBride are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He belongs to Cane Hill Lodge Number 57, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Cane Hill, Arkansas, and politically is a Democrat.
Dr. McBride was educated at Cane Hill College, from which he graduated in 1884, at the age of nineteen years. He entered the medical department of the Vanderbilt School of Nashville, Tennessee, and graduated from the medical department of the University of Arkansas in 1889. He took postgraduate courses at the New York Polyclinic in 1891 and 1898 and in 1908 took a similar course at Tulane Polyclinic in New Orleans. He located at Fort Gibson in 1889, and in point of practice is the second oldest doctor in the city. At first he covered a territory reaching from twenty to twenty-five miles around the city. He was many times called upon by the so-called “bad men” or outlaws of earlier times. He himself was never molested save once one mile east of Fall City, when he was held up, but among the crowd was one man who had been a patient of his at one time, suffering from pneumonia, and upon finding the identity of their victim he ordered the others to move on, which they did. Dr. McBride has served as president of Indian Territory Medical Association through the year of 1898. He belongs now to the County and State Medical Associations, also to the American Medical Association. He has a private hospital, the only institution of the kind in the city.
Dr. McBride stands well among his fellow citizens, by whom he is universally esteemed. He is president of the Commercial Club of Fort Gibson, which includes merchants and other business men. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellow, Fort Gibson Lodge Number 126. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Politically he is a Democrat, being public-spirited to a remarkable degree, and much interested in all pertaining to the development of the county and state. He has just erected one of the finest residences in the city, on Garrison Hill, near the State Blind School, containing all modern conveniences and improvements. The architecture of the building is colonial, and the site commands a view of Fort Gibson and the surrounding country, also a view of Muskogee, some eight miles to the westward, and the Grand River, a beautiful stream, with many small islands and coves in sight.
February 10, 1887, Dr. McBride married Mary Norman, a native of the Cherokee tribe, a graduate of the Cherokee National Female Seminary, at Tahlequah. Her parents, C. W. and J. J. (Clingan) Norman, emigrated from Tennessee in 1880. Dr. and Mrs. McBride have no living children.