Bloom Funeral Home Advertisement

Muskogee County Funeral Homes

Biglow Funeral Directors
549 S. 6th
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-687-5510
Foster Petering Funeral Home
904 W.Okmulgee
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-682-3436
Millsap Funeral Service
Ft. Gibson: 918-478-2431
Webbers Falls: 918-464-2251
 
   
Black's Funeral Home
401 N. Main
Eufaula, OK
918-689-2553
Granger Funeral Home
812 Emporia
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-682-2477
Muskogee Funeral Service
222 S. 32nd
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-683-1700
   
Bradley's Funeral Service
1020 W. Okmulgee
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-682-3361
Lescher-Millsap Funeral Home
611 W. Okmulgee
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-683-7788
Ragsdale Funeral Center
2200 Military Blvd.
Muskogee, Ok 74401
918-682-2200
   
Evening Spring Funeral Home
115 N. Junction Ave.
Muskogee, OK 74401
918-682-7206
Mallory Funeral Home
Stigler, Spiro, Keota, Porum
Quinton, Sallisaw
1-800-967-2133
Dowdy Funeral Home
201 W. Commercial
Haskell, Ok 74436
918-482-5212


 
A History of the Oldest Funeral Homes

The first "funeral homes" were the actual home or business of the local undertaker. Since the undertaker's business was not dependable or constant, they usually had an additional profession. Caskets, if not made by a family member were usually made by the local furniture and cabinet maker. The Muskogee City Directory for 1903 lists C. W. "Charlie" Moore and Rhien and Dorsey as local undertakers. In 1904, G. H. Bloom and John H. Doyle and Company are listed.

   The earliest funeral home records that have survived are those of the George H. Bloom company which was in business from 1903 until 1918. Other early funeral homes with surviving records are: Doyle and Company: 1904, O. H. Farley and Company: 1906-1909, and Eaton and Bacon: 1912-1913.

In 1918 George H. Bloom sold his business to Mr.Spencer. In 1919, Spencer took Mr. Williams as a partner and then sold the business to him in 1920. Williams took Guipel as a partner in 1924 and then sold the business to him in 1926. Mr. Guipel ran the business by himself until he took Mr. Thornton as a partner in 1940 and then sold to him the same year. In 1944, Mr. Thornton sold to Mr. Agent. In 1957, Mr. Agent became a partner to Mr. Bradley and they remained partners until 1962 when Mr. Agent sold the business to him. Bradley Funeral Home is still an active service in Muskogee.

Other early funeral homes were: Street Furniture Company: 1903-1911, Street-Eicholtz: 1911-1930, Eicholtz: 1930-1945 and Hunter: 1945-1950. Mr. Hunter sold to Mr. Bradley in 1950.

Mr. Wood opened his funeral business in 1948 and then sold to Walker-Neargarden the same year. In 1950, Mr. Walker bought out Mr. Neargarden and then in 1952 sold the business to the Royal Casket Company.

Mr. Prall ran another early funeral service from 1904-1912. Jobe-McCarley bought his business in 1912. In 1916, Mr. Jobe bought out McCarley and in 1920, Mr. Petering bought out Mr. Jobe. Petering took Mr. Lescher as a partner in 1920. In 1927, Mr. Lescher parted from Petering and moved to his present location at 611 W. Okmulgee. Mr. Petering had other partners: Furry in 1927 and Cromer in 1928. Petering has been at the present location since 1928. In 1971 he sold to Foster and the name became Foster-Petering.








 

Return to HOME

©Sue Tolbert 2001-2006

The American Local History Network
Generously Hosted by USGenNet

The American History and Genealogy Project