Union County Obituaries A

This page part of the Union County, OR AGHP Page
Copyright 1999-2001
Janine M. Bork

These are obituaries that I and many others have donated. Mine were transcribed from old newspapers. I got the microfilms through interlibrary loan from the University of Oregon. There are also many others who have donated. If there is no contributor on it, it is something I have transcribed. If there is no link on the contributor's name, they have no further information about that person. It is someone extra on a copy of their families information.

If you have any obituaries you can donate, please drop a line to Janine M. Bork.Your information can help others.




Iris May ADLER

Willard AKIN

ALDRICH Obituaries

ALEXANDER Obituaries

ALLEN Obituaries


Mrs. Maggie P. AMES




Archer A. ANTLES

Lulu May (McCallister) ANTLES


Allen Marion ARANT



Mrs. William ASHBY

Mrs. Olive ASHMEAD


Walter AYERS

Col. William G. AYRE


At East Portland Insane Asylum, September 3d., 1877, Charles Aberley, aged 42 years. Pennsylvania papers please copy. Any persons desiring to correspond, please address:

Mrs. Jennie Aberley
La Grande, Ogn.

The Mountain Sentinel, Saturday
September 29, 1877


Charles Aberley, formerly well known as a citizen and enterprising business man of La Grande died a few days ago in the Asylum for the insane of this State. Mr. Aberley has been an inmate of the Insane Asylum for several years. His case was one of peculiar symptoms and was evidently occasioned by softening of the brain. Up to near the time of his death, he retained a lingering consciousness of his identity and when called on, as he frequently was by his numerous friends and acquaintences, he seemd to realize momentarily, who he was and had been, but would at once drift into a state of semiconsciousness. Poor Charley once so robust, the perfect model of physical manhood, the latter portion of his life proved to be a void, a blank. He leaves an estimable wife and lovely child to mourn his loss, the former with tender womanly affection, having clung to him like the green myrtle to the decayed trunk of the great oak, until it had been prostrated by the stormy hand of time.

Mountain Sentinel, Saturday
September 29, 1877


LA GRANDE, Jan.5 (Special)--Mrs. Martha B. Ackley, second white child to be born in La Grande, died here at the age of 89 years, all of them spent in this city. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Lane came to La Grande in August, 1862, and took up thier residence in a log cabin in Old Town--then the center of the town. She was born the following year.

Mrs. Ackley is survived by five of her ten children; 32 grandchildren; 55 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren. The children are:Mrs. Lulu Burnett and Oscar Ackley, of La Grande, Mrs. Carrie Glascow, of Jefferson, Ore., Mrs. Velva Cornforth of Boise, and Mrs. Lena Faye Ryckman, of Seaside, Cal.

[The year on this is 1953; she actually died on Dec 31, 1952. The 'B' is for 'Belle.' Her mother was Eliza Jane Womack.]

[I do not know what newspaper(s) these came from--all I have is the clippings, with no dates or any identifying markings. Lulu Maude (Ackley) Burnett was my great-grandmother; Martha Belle (Lane) Ackley was her mother.]

Donated by Ceridwen Attwood


In La Grande, March 26th., of Diptheria, AGNES, daughter of CHARLES and FRANCIS ADAMS, aged 5 years and 6 months:

"There is no flock, however watchful tended,
But one dead lamb is there
There is no fireside, however defended
But has one vacant chair.

Mountain Sentinel, Saturday
April 6, 1878

Iris May Adler, 79, Passes After Illness

Iris May Adler, 79, of 1604 Portland St., La Grande, died Friday, Aug. 5 at the Valley View Manor here after an extended illness.

Funeral services were held at Dempsey’s Funeral Chapel here on Monday, Aug. 8. Rev. Boone White officiated, with burial at the Summerville Cemetery.

She was born on August 26, 1886, in Alice and had resided in Union County for her entire lifetime. She was a member of the First Methodist Church, the Francis Brown Auxiliary, the Union County Historical Society, and the Neighborhood Club.

Survivors include the widower; William E. Adler of La Grande; one daughter, Mrs. Genevieve Carter of La Grande; a sister, Mrs. Lema Fuller of Alice; three grandchildren; and many friends.

The Recorder August 11, 1966

This obituary donated by Larry Rader

Willard Akin

Willard, the 18 year old son of Thos. Akin of Enterprise, was drowned at Ray's ferry while returning home from helping to cross cattle over the Grande Ronde river. Sam McAllister, who would have forded the river with him had he not stopped to talk with a man, a few minutes later saw the horse riderless in the stream and the boy in the river about 200 yards below. Before McAllister could rescue him the lad sank out of sight and at last accounts the body was not recovered. His father and uncle H.D. Akin went at once to search for it.

Cove Ledger
Thursday December 14, 1899

Isaac Allison

A Terrible Death

Oregon City, Dec. 14 - Isaac Allison aged about 55 years, was killed this afternoon at 4 o'clock by falling on a steam woodsaw while it was in motion. He came out of a wood shed and attempted to pass between the wood pile and the saw table, when he slipped and fell on the saw when it was making about 100 revolutions per minute, the steam having just been turned off. The saw caught his right shoulder and nearly severed the body, cutting off the lower part of his heart. He left a widow and four grown daughters, three of whome are married. The coroner's jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Cove Ledger
Thursday December 29, 1898

Mrs. Maggie P. Ames

Died, in Oakland, California, January 7, 1925, Mrs. Maggie P. Ames, age 89 years.

Maggie Pelham, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cyrenus Peham, was born at Malone, Clinton county, Iowa. In 1861 she was married to George W. Ames and started as a bride across the plains in a prairie schooner. They landed in the Grande Ronde Valley in 1862. It is said they were the first white folks to cross the river to where Cove now stands.

They purchased a tract of land that suited them, and today Union is built on a considerable portion of the Ames land. They homesteaded what is now the E. Draper place in High Valley and later bought up land near it. They engaged in farming and stock raising and Mrs. Ames was as active in the work as her husband until death separated them in 1904, when Mr. Ames passed on. Mrs. Ames continued her residence in Union until about 8 years ago when she went to California to spend her remaining days with her sister, Mrs. Esther Metcalf, of Oakland. Mrs. Ames was one of the early pioneers of Union. She was a great worker, endured many hardships and privations in early days here and was rewarded with great prosperity. She was a good Christian woman and a faithful member of the Adventist Church for the past 30 years. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. Metcalf, of Oakland, and a number of Nieces and nephews, Mrs. W. M. Cockrell, of High Valley, being one of the nieces.

Mrs. Ames was to have been buried by the side of her husband, but owing to the illness of her sister, Mrs. Metcalf, who was unable to accompany the remains, she was buried in the Oakland cemetery, Friday, January.

This information donated by Larry Rader


The Union Republican reports the death of Mrs. Maggie Ames, at one time, with her husband, owner of a great deal of land on which the city of Union was built. She was 89 years of age and since leaving Union eight years ago, resided with a sister at Oakland, Calif. She died Jan. 7.

North Powder News
Saturday, January 31, 1925

J.A. Anderson

James Anderson, for the past 30 years a resident of North Powder, died here at 12:45 Wednesday afternoon. He became ill Christmas day, but had been in poor health several years.

Mr. Anderson was born in Hancock county, Indiana September 6, 1863. He came west 40 years ago and to North Powder 30 years ago. He is survived by his wife, and four daughters; Mrs. Nellie Lowe of Glendale, Cal.; Mrs. Mary Crawford of Seattle, Wash.; and Mrs. Nola Miller of Portland; Mrs. Mildred McConnell of North Powder.

Funeral services were held Friday at 2 p.m. at the M.E. church. Miles Blokland and the Odd Fellows lodge of which the deceased was a member, in charge. Interment was in the North Powder cemetery.

Oregon Trail Weekly
North Powder News
Saturday, January 7, 1928

Death of a Pioneer

At nine o'clock yesterday morning, Moses Angell, a pioneer resident of the coast, died at the residence of L.B. Rinehart. Deceased has lived in Union county for someyears making his home with Mr. and Mrs. Rinehart since 1886. For many months his health has been failing and he had been under the physician's care for the past year. Mr. Angell was bron in Illinois coming to the Pacific coast in '49. There are many friends who will mourn his death. The funeral took place this morning attended by many of the friends of his lifetime.

Eastern Oregon Republican, Thursday
July 4, 1889

Drowned at Radium

Unable to keep above the water after he had abandoned a tire tube to which he clung for support while learning to swim in the tank at Radium Springs, Roy Angell, 24 years old, a young rancher of Haines, was drowned Monday afternoon about 3:30 before others who were swimming in the pool could reach him.

Angell had gone off to a section of the pool alone. For a time he held to the edge of the pool but becoming a little more certain of his ability as a swimmer he abandoned all caution and struck out for himself.

July 12, 1926 newspaper story

This information donated by Larry Rader

Archer Alva Antles

Archer A. Antles, 76, died Wednesday evening at his home in La Grande.

Mr. Antles was born Sept. 2, 1910, to Avril A. and Lula Mae (McCallister) Antles at Stanton, Neb.

He moved to Cove with his family in March 1911 and graduated from Cove High School in 1929. On Aug. 18, 1932, he married Eleanor Davis at Cove.

He farmed in Cove until 1935 when he went to work for the Gardner Cove Store until 1941. He moved to La Grande and worked as a brakeman for the Union Pacific Railroad until 1966 when an accident forced him to retire. He then worked for La Grande Lumber Co. and retired in 1975.

He loved fishing and woodworking

He was a member of the United Methodist Church and United Methodist Men of La Grande. He was active in the senior meal program.

Survivors include his wife Eleanor of La Grande; son Arden A. Antles of Vernal, Utah; grandsons, Randy, Ricky and Robert; two great granddaughters; a sister Juanita Kail of Yakima Wash; and several nieces and nephews in Yakima, Portland and La Grande.

A sister, Helen Conklin of Cove, and brothers, Dr. Floyd Antles of Seattle and Harry D. Antles of Yakima, died earlier.

A memorial service will be conducted at 11 a.m. Sunday at the La Grande United Methodist Church with the Rev. James Wenger Monroe officiating. A private family interment service will be conducted later at the Cove Cemetery.

Memorial gifts in Mr. Antles memory may be made to the La Grande United Methodist Church furnace fund in care of Payne Family Mortuary, 1508 Fourth St.

The Observer
La Grande, Oregon
Friday, October 17, 1986
Page 2

Submitted by: Tom Childers

Lulu May (McCallister) Antles

ANTLES, Mrs. Lulu May. Age 82. Late of Cove, Oregon. Born in Mindoka, Wisconsin August 8th, 1867. Passed away at her home Friday, June 16th, 1950. Survived by 2 daughters; 3 sons, 6 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. Funeral services Monday, June 19th, at 2:00 p.m. in the Methodist church, Cove, Oregon. Interment Cove cemetery. The Snodgrass Funeral Home funeral directors.

La Grande Evening Observer
June 19, 1950
Page 7

Submitted by: Tom Childers


Clifford Applegate, 51 year-old Umatilla carpenter, died here today at the home of his sister, Mrs. Merton Kuhn, following a brief illness.

A native of Paradise, Ore., and a former resident of Wallowa county, Applegate had resided for the last three and one half years in Umatilla.

He leaves his wife, Mrs. Maude Applegate, Umatilla; a grandson, Jimmie Applegate, Umatilla; a brother, Donald Applegate, Tillamook, and three sisters, Mrs. Sylvia Wade of Enterprise, Mrs. Letha Dailey of Portland and Mrs. Vadna Kuhn of La Grande.

Services will be held from the Snodgrass Funeral Home at 2 p.m. Monday under the Rev. Gene Robinson, with burial to follow in the Portland crematorium.

Saturday, 19 June 1954, Page 4.

Donated by Robert C. Bull

Allen Marion Arant, 70, died last Friday at his home near Roseburg. Mr. Arant was the father of Lucian P. Arant of the Baker Herald, and E.E. Arant, former principal of the North Powder schools, was also a son.

North Powder News
Saturday, December 5, 1925

Death of George Arnold

George Arnold, born April 26, 1853, in New York, passed away June 23 at his home in Pasco, Washington. Funeral services were held June 25 at the chapel at 2 o’clock, conducted by Rev. U. F. Hawk. Deceased made Pasco his home for about six years. He is survived by his wife, a niece, Mrs. John Perry, and two nephews, John and Francis Arnold, all of Pasco.

Mr. Arnold was a resident of Union for many years and news of his death will be a shock to many friends in this section.

1929 newspaper item

This information donated by Larry Rader

Guy Arnold, Pioneer Descendant, Stricken

Guy R. Arnold, lifetime resident of the Grande Ronde Valley and John Day, died Monday at his home in Summerville at the age of 70.

Arnold was born in Elgin. His father, William Arnold, came to La Grande in 1877. In 1884 he began driving a stage between Elgin and Joseph, a career for which he is still remembered. History books describe him as "the capable, faithful and courageous stage driver of Elgin."

Green Arnold, Guy Arnold's great uncle, is also remembered in history books as one of Union County's early pioneers, as was his great aunt, Hannah Arnold Chaplin. Her husband, Daniel Chaplin, is given credit in history for location of the railroad in La Grande. He donated the land which made it possible.

WW I Veteran

Arnold had spent the last few winters in Yuma, Ariz., and had just returned to this area when he died. He was a World War I veteran and a member of the Christian church in Elgin. He also belonged to the Elks Lodge in John Day and the American Legion in La Grande.

Survivors include two sons, L. Glenn Arnold, Concord, Calif., and Guy R. Arnold, Pendleton; a stepdaughter, Lavada Snyder, Alameda, Calif.; one brother, Earl Arnold, Spokane, Wash.; three sisters, Mabel Brack, Athena, Wilma Smith, Portland; Lois Smith, North Powder; five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Funeral services will be Thursday at 2 p.m. at Crippin and Daniels Chapel with concluding services at Elgin cemetery.

La Grande Observer
Wednesday, May 18, 1966
Front Page

Submitted by: Tom Childers

Mrs. Ashby was notified of the sudden death of her sister, Mrs. Wm. Ashby, of Eagle Valley, and with her daughter Jesse left Sunday to attend the funeral.

North Powder News
Saturday, June 8, 1918

Death of Mrs. Ashmead

Olive Ashmead (nee Goff), beloved wife of Howard D. Ashmead, a recent resident of Union and vicinity, passed away at the Walla Walla Sanitorium, College Place, Washington, Thursday evening December second.

Mrs. Ashmead was born in Baker, Oregon, Oct 15, 1897. Her family moved to this city twelve years later, then to High Valley where she was married on Christmas Day 1913.

She was very patient through long weeks of suffering from acute rheumatic fever. But is now laid to reset in the Wenatchee cemetery overlooking the beautiful valley of that name.

Beside her husband and two daughters, she leaves to mourn, father and mother, sisters, and brothers, and many friends.


This information donated by Larry Rader

Death Comes After Only Few Hours of Acute Illness

The death of Bert Atterberry, Friday morning, after an illness of only a few hours duration, shocked the entire community. The young man, only 36 years of age, was a resident of this community for many years, and was well known to the entire neighborhood.

He was his usual self Christmas, spending the day with his family, and in the evening, while his wife and children were visiting neighbors, he and several men friends spent the evening at the Atterberry home. He became violently ill early Friday morning, and before medical aid could be summoned, he passed away. Death was due to paralysis.

He leaves a widow and three small sons, a number of relatives living in other states, and an uncle, Ed Ledbetter, of this city. Funeral arrangements had not been completed up to the time of going to press, word being awaited from relatives in the east.

North Powder News
Saturday, December 27, 1924


Funeral services for Bert Atterberry were held Sunday at the late home of the deceased, Captain Petersen of the Salvation Army of La Grande, conducting the services. Interment was made in the North Powder cemetery.

Bert Atterberry was born at Springfield, Mo., Sept. 17, 1887, and was 37 years, 3 months and 9 days of age when claimed by death. He had been a resident of North Powder for approximately 15 years. he was united in marriage in November, 1916, to Miss Nora Gilkison, and they made their home in this city.

He leaves besides his widow, three sons, Ronald 7, Danny 5, and Keith 5 months old. Also a mother; two brothers, Clarence and Monte Atterberry; and a sister, Mrs. Henry Pierce, all residing in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Mrs. Atterberry will maintain her home in this city so her two oldest boys can attend school

North Powder News
Friday, January 3, 1925

Walter S. AYERS

Died in this city, July 16, 1904. Walter S., youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Ayers, aged 6 years, 7 months and 4 days.

Elgin Recorder Friday July 22, 1904

End Comes At Hot Springs On Wednesday Of This Week
Was a Resident of Baker County for Forty Years
Services at Cambridge, N.Y.
Masonic Lodge and Episcopal Church to Have Charge of Last Rites

Col. William G. Ayre, prominent Baker resident, local sheepman and globe trotter, died at Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday of this week. He was 71 years old.

Colonel Ayre had been in failing health for more than a year and a half. He left his home here with Mrs. Ayre in June, 1926, for a visit to his old home in England. In Canada he became seriously ill but improved and went on for England. While in England he became so ill that they hired a man attendant to accompany them home.

The Ayres left here a year ago for California. After a stay of some time, they went to Tuscon, Arizona and later to Hot Springs, where they have been several months. Colonel Ayre was born in Devonshire, England, April 29, 1856, according to his Masonic lodge records.

Col. Ayre engaged in the sheep business in the Durkee country about 40 years ago. He retired several years ago and since that time in company with Mrs. Ayre, has spent most of the time in traveling.

The body will be taken to Cambridge N.Y. where services will be under the auspices of the Masonic lodge with services by the Episcopal church.

Oregon Trail Weekly
North Powder News
Saturday, January 21, 1928

Back to Union County AGHP