Photo courtesy Ben Holdman family/UmatillaCounty Historical Society
Among nine "century farms" recognized recently in Umatilla County was the Holdman farm, which started operations in 1882 some 20 miles north of Pendleton. This photograph taken in 1910 shows some of the Holdman farm and the community of Holdman. On the left hand side of the road were a dance hall, stores and the United Brethern Church. On the right hand side were a blacksmith shop and a mill. A schoolhouse can be seen in the distance. Most of the buildings burned down in a fire started when a woman was ironing clothes with a kerosene iron. Four generations of the Holdman family have lived and farmed in the area. Present operators of the farm are Ben Holdman and his son Chris.
Northeastern Oregonian - 1985
These are two more pictures of Holdman provided by Tom