This page part of the Wallowa County AGHP Site

Wallowa County Obituaries


M. R. Dalby

M.R. Dalby died at his home in this city, Friday, December 6th, after an illness of two weeks. He was taken ill with influenza which soon developed into pneumonia. His father, P.A. Dalby of Portland arrived a few days before the end just for brief moments of consciousness the son was able to know and talk with him.

Mr. Dalby was born in Nebraska 30 years ago but had been a resident of Enterprise about three years having done considerable carpentering and building in this city previous to his connection with the Standard Oil Co. last February. He had merited an advancement with them and they were just to place him in full charge of one of their plants at the time his last illness seized him.

He left a wife and two children; four and six years of age. The father, P.A. Dalby accompanied the body to Portland, Saturday, for interment.

Mr. Dalby was a genial industrious man and had a host of friends in Enterprise who regret his untimely passing away and extend heartfelt sympathy to his family and parents.

Wallowa County Reporter Thursday December 12, 1918
(Supplement to Wallowa County Reporter)

Cordus Dale

Cordus Dale, son of J. W. Dale, passed away June 9th, 1919, cause of death pulmonary tuberculosis. The deceased was thirty-three years of age and was born and raised in this county. He contracted the influenza last winter which was followed by complications and resulted in his death. He was buried in the Enterprise cemetery.

Wallowa County Reporter

Mrs. A. E. Darby

Mrs. A.E. Darby died Sunday morning of the influenza just ten days after the death of her husband. Short outdoor services were held at the house at one o'clock Monday. The body was taken to Salem for burial. It was taken by the mother and brother of the deceased. Mrs. Darby leaves one child which will be taken care of by her mother Mrs. Davis.

(This article states A.E.- Husband listed in his obituary as O.E.)

Wallowa County Reporter Thursday December 26, 1918

Rev. Darby A Victim of Influenza

Rev. O.E. Darby, Christian minister at Lostine, died of bronchial pneumonia at his home in that on Friday evening, Dec. 13th.

He contracted the illness while attending a ministerial meeting at Portland and was ill about one week. The body was held at Lostine until Tuesday when it was taken to Salem for burial. Mrs. Darby is very low with pneumonia and not expected to survive. They have one child one year old and sick with influenza. Miss Darby a sister of the deceased, accompanied the remains to Salem for burial.

Wallowa County Reporter Thursday December 19, 1918

Gilda Davidson
Dies in Athens

Gilda Marie Davidson, a long-time resident of Union and Wallowa counties, died September 13, in Athens, Greece where she had been receiving medical care for a week. She was 63.

The daughter of Henry Newton and Jeannie Gail Ashby, she was born March 5, 1912 in Kansas City, Mo. She and her family moved to La Grande in 1922. She was graduated from La Grande High School and from Lindenwood School For Girls in St. Louis, Mo. She was married to John Raymond Davidson June 23, 1936.

The Davidson and Ashbys moved from La Grande to their ranch homes at Water Canyon near Wallowa in 1940. After the ranch was sold the Davidsons moved back to La Grande in 1972. Mrs. Davidson had worked as a bookkeeper for several years at the former Bowman-Hicks Lumber Co. in La Grande and at their Wallowa office which her father had managed until it was sold in the late 1940's. She was a partner with her husband in the J.R. Davidson, Inc. Logging Co. in Wallowa until they retired in 1972.

Mrs. Davidson was a member and Past Worthy Matron of Jessica Chapter, Order of Eastern Star, in Wallowa and had held the state OES office of Grand Marshal. She was a founder and the first Mother Advisor of Rainbow For Girls in Wallowa.

Mrs. Davidson was a former member of St. Patrick's Episcopal church in Enterprise and a member of St. Peters Episcopal church in La Grande. An enthusiastic golfer, she was a member of the La Grande Country Club and also played golf in Enterprise.

In addition to her husband, she leaves a daughter, Gail Fineberg of Redding, Ca.; a brother, Henry Newton Ashby, Jr. of Wallowa and two grandchildren.

Funeral services are being arranged by the Daniel Funeral Home in La Grande.

Wallowa County Chieftain
Thursday September 18, 1975


Former Enterprise resident, Eva (Emmons) Davies, died October 7, 1989, at Mt. Vista Care Center in La Grande.

She was born June 19, 1899, at Newton County, Missouri, the daughter of George William Neill and Ollie Frances Davidson.

On Oct. 18, 1967, she married Leslie H. Davies. He preceded her in death on June 15, 1987. She was also preceded in death by her first husband, Lester Emmons, in 1967.

She was a homemaker and a member of Enterprise Christian church.

Survivors include two sons, Ed Emmons, of Milton Freewater and George Emmons of Hermiston; four grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and three great-great grandchildren.

Services and interment will be held Thursday (today) Oct. 12, at 11 a.m. at the Enterprise Cemetery, with Bill Sheets officiating.

Memorial contributions may be made to the cancer fund in care of Bollman Funeral Home, 3rd and West Main, Enterprise.

Wallowa County Chieftain

This information contributed by S. Renee Schaeffer

OBIT: Lemuel P. Day Dies in La Grande

Lemuel Presley Day passed away in La Grande Sunday, March 18, 1956 following an extended illness. He was a cousin of Mrs. Charles T. Thornburg, Charles D. Emmons, and the late Robert L. Day. When young he lived in the Flora

He was born in Illinois October 10, 1868 and had lived in La Grande for 65 years. He was a member of IOOF lodge 16 of La Grande. Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Elma Day, La Grande; a son Calvin Vance Day, Prosser, Washington; a daughter Mrs. Ruby Klinghammer, La Grande; four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at the Daniels Funeral Home in La Grande Tuesday at 2 p.m., with the Rev. Henry Gernhardt officiating. Burial was in the Elgin Cemetery.

This information contributed by S. Renee Schaeffer

David Diggins, who crossed Plaines in 1859

David Diggins, a pioneer in the northwest, died on Monday at his home in Joseph.  He was 79 years old and some time ago suffered a stroke of
paralysis.  The funeral was held on Tuesday and burial was in the Prairie creek cemetery, Rev. B. F. Miller officiating.

Mr. Diggins was born in Pennsylvania in 1833 and when 23 years old moved to Illinois, where he lived two years, farming in the new Prairie state.  But the love of the frontier would not let him rest with life in the central states and he started for Colorado in 1859.  Hearing reports of rich regions in the far northwest, he continued his journey to Washington, arriving at Walla Walla September 11, 1859.

The next year he went into the wilderness in search of gold to the district where Pierce City and Oro Fino are now situated.  The camp prospered and Mrs. Diggins staid there for two years, when he returned to his homestead near Walla Walla.  He sold his land there in 1877 and moved to Umatilla county, Oregon, where he again went into farming.  He was very successful and was well to do when he sold out in 1894 and came to the Wallowa country settling on a farm some miles southeast of Joseph.

Mr. Diggins was married twice.  The first wife was Miss Malvina Pennington. Two sons were born, of which one survives.  Mrs. Diggins second wife was Mrs. Isley of Joseph, who survives him.

ERC  Thursday Sept. 5, 1912

Contributed by Charlottte Carper


W. S. Dishman, an early settler of this county, well remembered by all the older residents, and father of Mrs. George S. Craig of this city, died at Whittier, Cal., Tuesday night, September 12, of illness due to old age, for he was in his 89th year. The body was brought to Portland for burial, the funeral being held Sunday afternoon from the home of William I. Dishman, a son of the deceased.

Mr. Dishman was born in Kentucky, Dec. 6, 1821, and came west in the early eighties, settling on Swamp Creek, where for a number of years he was a prosperous rancher and stockman. He was one of the founders of the Presbyterian church in this city. About 10 years ago, he moved to Walla Walla, then to Ashland but of late years he and Mrs. Dishman resided with their son at Whittier in Southern California.

Besides his aged companion, herself past 80 years of age, he leaves two sons and two daughters, John E. of Whittier, W.I. of Portland, Mrs. Mattie Imbler of Klamath Falls, and Mrs. Sally B. Craig of this city and numerous grandchildren.

Mr. Dishman was an active man in business life, of strict integrity and lived up to his profession of Christianity. The family have the sympathy of all the old friends who knew and respected Mr. Dishman in his lifetime.

Enterprise Record Chieftain
Thursday September 21, 1911

Contributed by Charlottte Carper

Rosco Dorsey

Rosco Dorsey was badly injured in a fight at Wallowa last Friday. All parties live at Wallowa and are young boys. The row started at a basket ball game and after the boys went outside the Daniels boys used knives on the Dorsey boy with the result that it was feared that he would not recover but at this writing it looks like he will get well. District Attorney Fairchild had the Daniels boys placed under bond awaiting the outcome of the affair.

Wallowa County Reporter February 19, 1920


Rosco Dorsey Dies of Wounds

Rosco Dorsey, who was badly slashed in a fight with Bert and Virgil Daniels at Wallowa on Friday evening, Feb. 13th, died from his wounds yesterday. The row started at a basket ball game in the high school auditorium at Wallowa and continued on the outside after the Daniel boys had dared young Dorsey outside. The Daniel boys have been under bonds awaiting the outcome and will now be tried for murder. It is a very unfortunate affair. The Dorsey boy was said to be a quiet sort of a fellow and not quarrelsome.

Wallowa County Reporter Thursday March 11, 1920


Bert Daniels on Trial

The trial of the State vs. Bert Daniels for the murder of Rosco Dorsey at Wallowa on the evening of Feby. 13th went to the jury today. Ten witnesses have been examined for the state and the two defendants appeared for themselves. The case has occupied the time of the court since Monday afternoon.

District Attorney A. Fairchild assisted by A.E. Clawson, is conducting the prosecution for the state and J.A. and W.S. Burleigh are the attorneys for the defendants.

The witnesses for the state are Clifford Landers, Warren Akers, Dr. Gregory, Felman Aker, Dezel Lloyd, Jack Hamilton, Sam Berry, George Murphey, Mrs. Mary E. Dorsey and Earl Akers.

The jurors to decide the case are Tom Winson, F.S. Green, J.L. Dimmick, A. Wenham, Earl Pinkley, Walter Lee, M.B. Knight, Ellis Marr, W.E. taggart, Earl Allen, L. Burland and H.T. Skaggs.

Wallowa County Reporter July 29, 1920

Mrs. J. H. Doss

Mrs. J. H. Doss died on Sept. 11, 1919 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Sam Winchester at La Grande.

Wallowa County Reporter Thursday September 18, 1919

Mrs. Henry W. Downs
(Francis Helen Ward)

Francis Helen Ward was born to Joseph W. and Mary B. Ward at Unionville, Missouri March 14, 1886, and died at Lostine January 19, 1918, being 31 years, 10 months and 5 days of age.

When about two years old, her parents came to Lostine where she has since lived. She received her education in the Lostine schools. On May 9th, 1909, she was united in marriage to Henry W. Downs and to them were born three children of whom two survive. Grandy Henry, age two years and Sophia Mary, age six months. These two motherless babes, her husband, her mother, Mrs. Mary B. Ward; three brothers Ober Ward of Marr Flatt, D.C. ward of Pollock, Mo., James C. Ward, Unionville, Mo., and one sister, Mrs. Arthur Hulse of Lostine, are all surivors to cherish in tender memory their loved one.

About twelve years ago, Mrs. Downs became a Christian, affiliating with the Seven Day Adventists. This faith continued even unto death.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Bogue assisted by Rev. Williams on Sunday afternoon and interment was made in the Lostine cemtery.

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank all those who so kindly helped us in the illness and death of our wife, mother, daughter and sister. The Relatives.

Wallowa County Reporter
Wednesday, January 23, 1918


Armel Lee Duckett, 104, of Imnaha, died Tuesday, Dec. 8, 1998, at Ochoco Care Center in Prineville. Services were Dec. 12, with burial in Prairie Creek Cemetery at Joseph.

Mr. Duckett was born Sept. 18, 1894, in Cassville, Mo., to Bill and Florence Duckett, the third of 13 children.

Mr. Duckett moved to Oregon when he was 18 and worked as a farm hand and trapper. He was a boiler maker for the O&R Railroad, based out of la Grande. He enlisted in the Army when he was 23 and served in France and Germany during World War I as a cook. He cooked in a rolling kitchen, a wood-fired stove on a wagon, and prepared the food as the Army moved. Family members recalled that the roast meat was excellent because it was self-basted all day, but there was no refrigeration and flies were bad.

Mr. Duckett married Rowena Johnson in January of 1925. She preceeded him in death.

After his discharge, he moved to Wallowa County, where he lived for 69 years. He clerked at the Imnaha Store and drove horse-drawn mail and freight line to Enterprise and later drove the first trucks on the route. At Imnaha, he started a blacksmith shop which developed into a hardware store, car repair shop and a barber shop. He built a water wheel to provide electricity for his shop and home, and was known for such inventions as the Duckett sheepherder stove. He also drove a school bus.

He served for years on the election board over 65 years and the Imnaha school board 35 years, helped put in the Imnaha water system and lobbied for the modern Imnaha Highway and for electricity from Idaho Power to the Imnaha River area. He was a state Grange master and member of the Masons and Shrine. He donated land and materials for the Imnaha church. He enjoyed gardening, farming and carpentry.

A.L. Duckett is survived by a son, Jack of Prineville, two sisters, Lena Marshall of La Grande and Lela Luppenacci of Clarkston, Wash.; nine grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. He was preceeded in death by a son, Leland, five sisters and five brothers.

Wallowa County Chieftain On-Line
Week of December 17, 1998


Long-time Imnaha resident A.L. Duckett dies at age 104.

A.L. Duckett, who died last week at the age of 104, spent most of his adult life in Imnaha. He can be regarded as one of the most influential and popular citizens in Wallowa County's history.

By Elane Dickenson
of the Chieftain

Armel Lee Duckett, better known by his initials, A.L., died in Prineville last week after spending virtually all of his adult life as one of Imnaha's leading citizens. The small Imnaha church built just 10 years ago on land he donated was packed with family and friends during his funeral service Saturday.

During his long life, A.L. Duckett was interviewed many times by the Chieftain, and the following account was put together from information he supplied, as well as from a short summary of his life, hand-written in pencil by Duckett himself a few years ago.

A native of Missouri, working 100-150 acres with a team by the time he was 15, he came to Oregon with his family when he was about 19, working for awhile in the railroad shops in La Grande where he learned to be a boiler maker.

Duckett came for the first time to Wallowa County in 1916, working as a ranch hand on Prairie Creek, and then enlisted in the U.S. Army, in which he served as a cook in Europe during World War I. He was assigned tot he 4th Division for overseas duty in 1918 in Bordeau, France, where he served until the Armistice on Nov. 11, 1918. He then hiked into Germany for occupation duty. "In 1919, I received my Red Chevron, of which I was pretty proud," Duckett wrote.

Duckett dated his actual residency in Wallowa County from October, 1919, when he was discharged from the service and returned to make his home in Imnaha.

Duckett went to work there for Bailey Maxwell as a clerk in the store and post office and as a stage driver. Duckett drove the Imnaha-Enterprise stage for a couple of years, making the round trip between the two towns three times a week, traveling 8-10 hours a day; in the winter he'd trade stage wagon for a sled.

A.L. had a homestead on the Imnaha, and was also Imnaha's pioneer garage man. In the fall of 1921 he purchased a blacksmith shop from Ross Falconer for $100, and later built the building which now houses the cafe, using part of it as a blacksmith shop. When the automobile took over from the horse Duckett went along with the times, "I shod horses, overhauled engines, sold gas and hardware," he said. A man who was good at anything he tried, Duckett also became town barber. He sold the garage in1952.

Duckett married Rowena Johnson in January, 1925; they had two sons, Jack of Prineville and Leland, who preceded A.L. in death, as did his wife Rowena, the daughter of Imnaha pioneers Jack and Florence Findley Johnson.

Known for his inventions, two in particular became famous. They were the Duckett sheepherder stove, which he designed and began manufacturing in 1923, eventually selling hundreds in three states over the next few years, and a steel inlay horseshoe with a hard toe caulk that gave horses traction on ice and in the rugged rim rock canyon country of the Imnaha and the Snake.

A.L. Duckett was appointed to the Imnaha election board in 1922 and served 65 years, and served 35 years on the Imnaha School Board. Duckett was chairman of the first county zoning commission, which became the Wallowa County Planning Commission, serving nine years.

He was instrumental in getting the Little Sheep Creek highway built, and working with a man named Lester Robinson installed the Imnaha water system.

Duckett and Robinson also devised and installed a hydroelectric power plant at the Imnaha Bridge in 1941 which provided electricity until Idaho Power Co. transmission lines came through from Brownlee Dam in 1962. Duckett was largely responsible for getting the power company to provide local power for the Imnaha residents, a service which the company at first said would be too costly.

Honors bestowed on A.L. Duckett by his fellow Wallowa County citizens through the years include a testimonial dinner in his honor in 1964 by the Joseph Chamber of Commerce, being named Wallowa County Father of the Year in 1969 by Wallowa County CowBelles, receiving the Distinguished Service Award in 1971 by the Jaycees and being selected as Chief Joseph Days grand marshal in 1972.

"I hesitate to think I am entitled to all these honors, but am deeply grateful to the ones responsible for them" he wrote, adding with a sense of humor, "I am sure that I will be remembered by many as one who could have put in more time minding my own business."

In all A.L. Duckett spent 69 years in Wallowa County before moving just a few years ago to Prineville to be near his son Jack. He continued to grow his locally famous Imnaha corn until he was almost 90, as well as tended a garden and canned garden produce well into his 90's. He donated the land on which the first-ever Imnaha church was built 10 years ago, and also crafted the pews.

Funeral services were held Saturday, Dec. 12 in the church that is part of the legacy of a man who contributed his talent and energy to his community for the best part of a century. A.L. Duckett is buried in Prairie Creek Cemetery near Joseph.

Wallowa County Chieftain On-Line
Week of  December 17, 1998

(My thanks to the Duckett family of Prineville for allowing these obituaries to be placed on the site)

Oron L. Dunbar Dead

Oron L. Dunbar, who lived in Joseph several years ago, died last Sunday, Oct. 27, at Oregon City, of Influenza. He had lived in California until the first of the year when he went to Oregon City, where he was manager of a store. He was born 48 years ago in Fairview and for a time was manager of the McCully Mercantile company store in Joseph. A daughter, Lucile Dunbar, teaches in the Joseph school, and a son, Raymond, is in the 65th artillery, A.E.F., in France, having enlisted in Joseph more than a year ago.

Enterprise Record Chieftain
Thursday, October 31, 1918

Obituary Index

Back to Home Page

This site may be not be duplicated in any manner.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is strictly prohibited!