This page part of the Wallowa County AGHP Site

These images contributed by Orvetta Harmon

Homes in Wallowa County

George M. Cannon's Home

    One of the largest and most complete homes in the county is that of George M. Cannon of Lost Prairie.
     The house was finished about a year and half ago.  It contains 12 rooms and among other conveniences, is supplied with water piped from a spring 180 feet above the house.  Mr. Cannon has nearly 600 acres of Lost Prairie land, with 200 in cultivation. 
     He raises wheat, barley, oats and hay, which is fed to hogs, cattle, horses and sheep.  There is an acre of orchard which produces abundantly.  Mr. and Mrs. Cannon have been residents of the county for many years.  Mrs Cannon lived at Joseph when the country was new.

W. H. Baker's Home

     After he had retired from the mercantile business in Flora, W. H. Baker concluded to turn farmer.  He has 1000 acres of the rich Lost Prairie land on which corn and all other cereals thrive and where nearly _____ abundantly.  Here he built a comfortable new house recently, near the Arko school.  Mr. Baker had the first automobile owned in the north end of the

county, and this is shown near the house.  The farm and _____ below the level of the Flora-Paradise plateau, and from the neighborhood one has a beautiful view of other ridges and of the farming lands and mountains to the north of the Grande Ronde river.  Mr. Baker is still prominent in north end financial ________.

S. P. William's House

     This picture carries on back to the early days of Wallowa county, It shows the old house on the fine farm of S. P. Williams on Upper Prairie creek.  The main part was built by John Stepwell in 1880 and the kitchen and porches were added the year following.  T. F. Rich was then living on the place, which he owned.  A new roof and a few coats of paint have been added since to this pioneer house.  Mr.

Stepwell took up the land us a pre-emption and proved up the year he erected the house.  After him came Mr. Rich who sold in 1885 and Mr. Williams become the owner in 1888 and has remained in continuous possession ever since.

Sam Wade's Home

          The pleasant house of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Wade is on the river where the road drops down from the hills.  The site has been Mr. Wade’s home since he came into the county in 1876.  He has a large farm on which he raises thorough bred horses and large grain crops.  Mr. Wade is a banker as well as farmer and is one of the substantial men of the county.

 

N. K. Bue's Home

     In the four years Nola K. Bue has lived on his Mud Flat ranch he has built the new house and barn that now stand on the place.  The house was built first and the large barn was added two years ago.  Mr. Bue has 180 acres on the home ranch, with 40 in cultivation.  About 120 acres can be plowed, but timber stands on considerable of the farm.  Below this place Mr. Bue has another farm of 160

acres.  He is a Norwegian by birth, which is one way of saying he is a thrifty, progressive citizen.

O. L. Berland's Home

     A new and modern house is to take the place of the present home of Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Berland in due time, and the owners are inclined to apologize for their present home.  They say they are “just camping” in the old house, which stands half in the shelter of a friendly tree.  Mr. Dorland has 400 acres of farm land in Paradise, of which he plows 160, raising much grains.
He has lived in the county for ______ years, all but four of which has been spent in the north end.  He has prospered with the country, and has been so busy looking after the farm, and adding to it, that he let the years slip past “just caning” in the old house.

O. J. Roe's Home 

     This sis an abode of hospitality and good cheer.  On Alder Slopes at the base of the timbered mountains, three miles west of Enterprise, O. J. Roe has built his fine home and fitted it with every city convenience and comfort.  The name “Mountain View” fruit farm has been given to the place because of its sightly location.  From the front porch of the house one gets a marvelous view.  To the east and north stretch the valleys and hills of Wallowa county, with the Seven

Devils of Idaho rising in a serrated ridge in the eastern sky, beyond Snake river.  Billowy hills stretch to the Blue Mountains of Washington in the northwest.
     Almost any day Mr. and Mrs. Roe may be found on their farm tending the fruit, hay and stock.  It is a famous place for social gatherings particularly of hungry persons.  When guests seat themselves at O. J. Roe table and view the spread, they realize they have not had a square meal for weeks, and they at onset to work in a vain endeavor devour every morsel.  Mr. and Mrs. Roe came to the county from South Dakota., Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc., six years ago and never have regretted their last move.  Neither have their friends here.

Orvetta's Index

Back to Home Page

This site may be not be duplicated in any manner.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is strictly prohibited!