THERE is little doubt that the first physician to make his appearance in what is now the territory of Lycoming, county was Dr. Benjamin Allison. He was employed as Surgeon to the militia as early as 1777. In the statement of Colonel Hunter's, accounts we find that be paid him £41 5s, November 18,1777, for serving as "first class Surgeon" with Colonel Kelly's battalion two months; and again he paid him £202 10s; for six months service as surgeon, from April 1, 1779, to October 23, 1779. During a part of this time he was stationed at Fort Muncy; and possibly he, accompanied some of the expeditions further up the valley. That there were others here on brief visits there is no doubt, but in the absence of any record it is impossible to give dates. Dr. Plunkett was at Muncy much earlier, but he was in command of a military company to dispossess the Connecticut settlers. It is therefore, safe to conclude that Dr. Allison was the first physician to remain here any time in the practice of his profession. And it is probable that he remained at Fort Muncy until it was abandoned. He was a son of the celebrated Rev. Francis Allison, who became the owner of a large tract of fine land near Lock Haven.
The next physician of whom we have any authentic account was Dr. James Davidson, the Revolutionary surgeon, who settled near the mouth of Pine creek (see review of Porter township) as early as 1790. For a long time he was the only physician in that part of the country and his practice took in a wide range. He died in 1825. William Kent Lathey was the first physician in Williamsport. In 1798 he is assessed in Loyalsock township with "one lot, one cabin, and two horses." The cabin was valued at $10 and the horses at $16. After the assessment of 1802 big name disappears from the book. That Dr. Lathey was in this section as early as the winter of 1796 we have positive evidence. Old letters found among the papers of James Starr Lippincott, of Haddonfield, New Jersey, (See Now and Then, Vol. II, page 118) speak of James Ecroyd, of Muncy township, setting out to hunt on Saturday the 30th day of January, 1796. In attempting to cross Barbour's run, near where it empties into Loyalsock, he fell off the log into the water. He then lost himself in the woods and wandered about until the following Friday, (February 5th), when he was found with both feet badly frozen. Dr. Lathey was called to treat him, and the latter speaks of him as the "clever English surgeon, whose services proved so valuable." Four years later (1800) he married Mary Wallis, eldest daughter of Samuel Wallis, settled in Muncy township, purchased a farm near Penn's Dale, and built a stone house which is still standing. Ecroyd recovered with the partial loss of one foot.
Dr. Lathey lived there and practiced medicine a few years, when he moved to Northumberland, and died. His tombstone, which may be seen in the new cemetery, bears this inscription: "In memory of Dr. William Kent Lathey, who was born in Exeter, England, January 29, 1772, and departed this life, July 28, 1809." Dr. Lathey and wife had three sons, but two of them died in infancy; the third, named Henry Kent Lathey, survived, studied medicine, and settled at Alton, Illinois, where he died about 1862. He left a son, George W., who also became a physician, and is practicing there now. While at Williamsport his cabin stood oil the site of the freight depot of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company, on Front street. The dwelling of the late Tunison Coryell stood on the same spot. At that time there were few inhabitants in Williamsport, and as the settlement at Penn's Dale was older and more thrifty, he doubtless thought it would be a better place for a physician.
Dr. Lathey was succeeded by Drs. Coleman and Rogers, but unfortunately the dates of their arrival have not been preserved. It was probably about 1801, as at that time there was some activity here caused by the building of the jail and court house, and the outlook was promising for physicians.
It was claimed by the late John McCarty that after Lathey, the second physician at Muncy was a young man named Dr. Willits. He remained there a short time and then went to Selinsgrove and located. The third physician to settle at Muncy was Dr. Thomas Wood, He was born in Cumberland county in 1780, received a good education, graduated, and came to Muncy in 1803 and at once commenced to practice medicine. After practicing very successfully for some time he retired in favor of his nephew, Dr. Thomas Wood, Jr., and moved to Paradise, where he died at the age of forty-six. His widow, who was Miss Eliza Montgomery, survived him a long time. The second Dr. Thomas Wood lived at Muncy many years and followed his profession. He left a son, Thomas Wood, who became a leading citizen, and represented Lycoming county in the Assembly during the session of 1854-55. He left a son, George G. Wood, who became a physician, and, like his father, represented the county in the Assembly during the session of 1888-89.
Dr. Edward D. Kittoe was an early practitioner and druggist in Muncy. In 1835-36 he was prominent as a medical witness at the celebrated Earle murder trial. Dr. E. H. Russell was "remembered with gratitude," says Now and Then of July, 1877, "because he planted a long row of shade trees along the lower sidewalk of Plank road in East Muncy."
Dr. Frederick Laselle, a French refugee, settled in Muncy township early in the century and lived the life of a recluse. He was a man of education, but peculiar in his ways. His death occurred about 1860, at an advanced age.
Another old time physician was Dr. Asher Davidson. He was born near Jersey Shore, February 23, 1795. When quite young he attended Rev. Grier's school at Northumberland, and frequently walked home, following the Indian path through White Deer and Nippenose valleys. He commenced reading medicine with his father, Dr. James Davidson, and completed his studies with Dr. Thomas Wood, of Muncy, At that time there were not more than three or four physicians in Lycoming county, and the territory over which they had to travel was vast. Doctors were compelled to travel on horseback, with saddle bags, eating and sleeping where night overtook them. It is related that these old physicians were often met on the highway-or paths-sitting asleep in their saddles, so tired and worn out with their long rides that they could not keep awake.
It was while pursuing his studies at Muncy that Dr. Davidson became acquainted with and married, April 24, 1817, Miss Rachel Wood, a niece of his preceptor. They lived happily together for forty-five years. Dr. Davidson was chosen an associate judge in 1837 and sat upon the bench as his father had done before him. Years after he had been in active practice he attended a full course of lectures in one of the medical colleges of Philadelphia and was awarded a diploma. As a practitioner he was successful and became a great favorite with the people. He dearly loved anecdote and always had something amusing to relate when he met a friend. He was a true type of the old-time physician. While on professional duty he contracted a cold which terminated in his death, at his home in Jersey Shore, June 20, 1864, in the seventieth year of his age.
William T. Babb, a student of Dr. Davidson, was born in Jersey Shore, December 22, 1822, and graduated high up in his class. After receiving his diploma he was retained for a short time as demonstrator of anatomy in the Pennsylvania Medical College. He applied for admission as an assistant surgeon in the navy and passed a brilliant examination. He served for several years in this capacity, visited many foreign ports, and was present, at the bombardment of Vera Cruz during the Mexican war. Tiring of the navy he resigned his commission, returned to Jersey Shore, and entered into partnership with his old preceptor. On the breaking out of the civil war he went out with the Eleventh Regiment, Colonel Jarret, as assistant surgeon, and served a short time in the field. Falling ill he hastened to the home of his sister, in Philadelphia, where he died, April 25, 1863, in the forty-second year of his age. Dr. Babb was a gentleman of polished address and very successful as a physician and surgeon. He was well read in history, science, and literature, and had he lived would have attained to eminence in his profession.
Dr. Joseph Wood was another of the early physicians who practiced in Jersey Shore. The most careful research has failed to develop his history, further than that he appears on the assessment list for 1828.
James Lutson Reed studied medicine with Dr. Davidson, at Jersey Shore, and graduated about 1847 or 1848. His place of nativity was near Lock Haven. After graduating he returned to Jersey Shore and associated himself with his preceptor in the practice of medicine and soon achieved success. Few young physicians rose more rapidly, than did Dr. Reed, and he passed away quickly. His death occurred probably about 1854 or 1855.
William Hepburn was born in December, 1812, studied medicine, and first located at Mill Hall, Clinton county, Pennsylvania, where he followed his profession for eleven years. In 1850 he went to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, read law, was admitted, and practiced until April, 1855. His health giving out he came to Williamsport, where he died in October of the same year.
J. Wesley McMurray, of Jersey Shore, read medicine with Dr. Davidson, and graduated in Philadelphia about 1850, and died of consumption in 1853. He gave promise of becoming a successful practitioner, but the fell destroyer had marked him early.
Isaac McKinney, born at Heshbon, on Lycoming creek, studied medicine and settled at Jersey Shore. He practiced successfully for many years and died about 1876 or 1877.
Among other early physicians in Williamsport were Dr. James Taylor, Dr. W. R. Power, Dr. Thomas Vastine, and E. Baldwin. Dr. Power, tradition says, was here in September, 1818. James, son of Judge Hepburn, was born here, April 14, 1799. At the age of nineteen he commenced the study, of medicine and in 1823 graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1824 he commenced practicing, which he followed up to 1837. He then engaged in contracting, visited California in 1849, and returned to the place of his nativity in 1875, whore he soon afterwards died. Drs. M. Green and Thomas Huston, followed James Hepburn in 1823. We next hear of the arrival of Dr. Seiler about 1835, who, in 1838, left for Harrisburg. Dr. Taylor was sent to the legislature about this time. Thomas Huston was born at Carlisle in 1793; graduated at Dickinson College, and the Medical College of Philadelphia in 1814. In 1823 he visited his parents at Williamsport. When at Dickinson he was a classmate of Robert J. Walker. He was the youngest brother of Judge Charles Huston. Dr: Huston settled at Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he died in 1865. He was the father of Charles T. Huston of Williamsport.
Dr. Thomas Lyon in his reminiscences says that be "commenced the practice of medicine in Williamsport in April, 1838. Dr. Thomas Vastine was really the only practicing physician in the town at that time, Dr. Seiler having ceased practice some months previous to engage in the mercantile business. Dr. Samuel Pollock moved here some two weeks after, which then increased the number to three. The town at that time contained about 1,000 inhabitants. There was one physician, at Newberry, Dr. Shoemaker, and no one on the West Branch nearer than Muncy and Jersey Shore. At the former place Drs. Wood and Rankin were the only ones; at the latter Dr. Davidson. Dr. Peale was practicing at Hughesville, followed by Dr. George Hill."
Dr. John W. Peale was born at Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, June 13,.1800. He was of English origin. Having studied medicine he located at Hughesville, but left there in November, 1838, to settle in Sunbury. He died at Lock Haven, July 14, 1868, at the house of his son, ex-Senator Peale. Dr. George Hill, who succeeded Dr. Peale, was born January 14, 1816, and graduated at the same time with Dr. Lyon. He is therefore as old a practitioner as Dr. Lyon.
About 1848 or 1849, Dr. Vastine left Williamsport and settled in St. Louis. Concerning the practice in those early days - 1838 to 1848 - Dr. Lyon. says:
The country roads were very rough, and at times unsafe for any kind of vehicle, and the only mode of travel was on horseback, and occasionally in what is called a sulky, which, at certain seasons of the year, could not be used. My rides and drives extended twenty-five miles up Loyalsock and Lycoming creeks. I frequently made both trips on horseback. We had but one drug store, and that a very indifferent one, and were obliged to send to, Philadelphia for all important drugs. My bills would frequently amount to $600 per year. That was trusted out among all kinds of patients and carried to their houses. Money being exceedingly scarce and fees very small, made it hard to meet our indebtedness. A visit in town was 25 cents; obstetrical cases, $5 in town, and country. Being obliged to compound our medicines and extract teeth as there were no dentists in that day-gave us little time to rest or sleep. Bleeding, cupping, and, leeching were extra charges. Extracting teeth if we got any compensation was 25 cents, and having no anesthetics and frequently very unruly subjects, which took up a great deal of time, made it not only very unprofitable but exceedingly disagreeable. In all cases of an inflammatory type, and particularly patients of a plethoric habit, we bled from the arm or the foot. The latter was generally resorted to in children. Local bleeding was generally performed with cups.
Dr. Thomas Lyon, the writer of the foregoing, was born at Pennsville, October 13, 1812; studied medicine with that eminent practitioner, Dr. James S. Dougal, of Milton, and graduated in 1838 at Jefferson Medical College. In April of that year he established himself at Williamsport, Where he has practiced without interruption up to the present writing, (May, 1892) a period of fifty-four years! He and Dr. Hill are the oldest practitioners in Lycoming county. Dr. Lyon married Elizabeth Priestley, of Northumberland, a great-granddaughter of Dr. Joseph Priestley.
Dr. Samuel Pollock, long a contemporary of Dr. Lyon, was born at Milton, October 23, 1808. He studied medicine with Dr. James S. Dougal and graduated in April, 1832, as the University of Pennsylvania; settled in Milton in 1833 and began the practice of medicine; he came to Williamsport in 1838, and continued practice until his death, which occurred April 28, 1887.
The second oldest practitioner in the county is Dr. John H. Grier, of Jamestown, Limestone township. He is a son of Rev. John H. Grier, and was born, June 2,1813, in Chester county. His mother was Mary Mackelduff. Dr. Grier was graduated at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, in 1840, and has practiced his profession in McEwensville , Jersey Shore, and Jamestown, for over fifty-three years. He married Miss Quiggle, of Wayne township, Clinton county. Col. W. Hayes Grier, editor of the Columbia, Pennsylvania, Independent, and John W. and Robert H. Grier, of the Jersey Shore Vidette, are his sons.
Dr. John S. Crawford, one of the old time and popular physicians of Williamsport, was born, November 17, 1808, at Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania. He graduated at Jefferson Medical College in March, 1838, and after practicing ten years in Cambria, Luzerne county, located in Williamsport in 1849. He died, December 15, 1879, and the circumstances surrounding his death were tragic as well as very sad. He was hurrying to visit a boy who was dying from the effects of an accidental gunshot wound, and while in the act of driving across the railroad track was struck by a car which was being backed by an engine, thrown out and instantly killed. About the time he was struck, the boy called out in great agony, "Oh! will the Doctor never come?" He never came. And in a few minutes the boy, like him for whom he was waiting, was dead.
Dr. Thomas W. Meckly, born at Milton in 1840, died at Jersey Shore, February 2, 1890, from the effects of disease contracted in the naval service. He graduated With honor in 1861, and immediately entered the marine service, where he was actively employed. He also was assigned to the Sixth army corps as assistant surgeon and was an eye witness to many engagements. Dr. Meckly located in Jersey Shore in 1868 and practiced his profession until within a short time of his death.
COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY.
The Lycoming County Medical Society was organized March 31, 1864, in a room over Dr. W. F. Logan's drug store, on Pine street. Only five physicians were present, viz: Drs. Thomas Lyon, W. F. Logan, B. H. Detwiler, W. R. Hull, and John S. Crawford. The officers elected were as follows: President, Dr. John S. Crawford; vice-president, Dr. W. H. Rankin; secretary, Dr. W. R. Hull; treasurer, Dr. B. H. Detwiler. At first the meetings of the society were only held quarterly, and it was of slow growth. But as physicians began to realize the benefits to be derived from such an organization they united with the society more rapidly. Meetings are now held monthly for the purpose of listening to the reading of essays on medical and surgical topics, and the discussions of questions calculated to advance the profession. The following are the officers for 1892: President, C. W. Youngman; vice-presidents, Sidney Davis and John A. Klump; secretary, J. P. Connelly; treasurer, W. W. Hull.
The Lycoming Anatomical Association is another society which has for its object the practical study of anatomy and pathology; organized in 1888, and registered under the act of 1883. Officers for 1892: President, C. W. Youngman; secretary, J. P. Connelly; treasurer, John A. Klump.
The Lycoming County Pharmaceutical Society was organized, November 22, 1883, and on the evening of December 11th following these officers were chosen: President, W. F. Logan; vice-president, Milton Huber; secretary, P. W. Bentley, treasurer, Justin L. Hill. Following are the present officers; President, Justin L. Hill; secretary, P. W. Bentley; treasurer, William Sweeley, Mr. Bentley has been secretary since the organization of the society.
HOMOEOPATHY IN WILLIAMSPORT.
Homoeopathy was introduced in this city in the spring of 1845 by John Redman Coxe, Jr., son of John Redman Coxe, Sr., M.D., who prior to that time occupied the chair of materia medica in the Pennsylvania University. Dr. Coxe had a successful practice here for four years, and in' 1849 returned to Philadelphia, his native city. From this time till 1864 there was no Homoeopathic physician in Williamsport. In October of that year, Dr. C. G. Reinhold & Son located here. The Doctor was a graduate of the Berlin University, and was one of the old Hahnemann Homoeopaths. He died, June 28, 1865, and was succeeded by his son, H. E. Reinhold, M. D., who practiced quite successfully until 1872, when he fell ill and soon after died. About this time his brother, J. Max Reinhold, graduated at the college in Philadelphia and became his successor. And now a sister, Miss Hannah C. Reinhold, has just entered the field as a practitioner.
About the time of the death of Dr. H. E. Reinhold, Dr. W. C. Doane located here and practiced Homoeopathy up to the fall of 1875, when he removed to Syracuse. He returned in a few years and resumed practice; he also established a sanitarium, where he received and treated patients from abroad. In 1890 Dr. Doane again left the city and opened a sanitarium at Union, near Binghamton, which he is now conducting.
At the present time there are seven Homoeopathic practitioners in the city, the latest being Miss Reinhold, who graduated at the State Iowa, March 25, 1892.
Below are presented the names of all physicians who have registered in the office of the prothonotary of Lycoming county since the act of June 8, 1881, went into operation. The figures following the name indicate the time of graduation: Adam B. Finney, 1860, resides in Washington, D. C.; George W. Weisel, March 11, 1865; George Alvin Hill, March 12, 1874; John Treon, has practiced 'since 1857; Jean Saylor-Brown, 1874; James L. A. Burrell, 1877, deceased; Horace G. McCormick, March 11, 1874; William M. Rankin, March 8, 1851; Peter C. Rundio, March 6, 1852; B. H. Detwiler, 1855; William H. H. Miller, 1848; George D. Nutt, March 13, 1869; H. H. Fessler, 1858; Eugene B. Campbell, 1873; Thomas Lyon, 1838; Samuel Pollock, deceased; Emil Kuder, July, 1873; James P. McVicker, 1866, deceased; Simon S. Koser, 1873; James W. Young, March 10, 1877; William Adams, March 5, 1859; , William McMeens Hepburn, 1880; William Willits, March 4, 1865; Charles L. Allen, March 12, 1880; Augustus Richter, 1851; Thomas H. Helsby, 1859, lives in Philadelphia; W. C. Doane, 1846, lives at Union, New York; Jacob Stickel, March 27, 1867; Edward Lyon, 1867; Jacob E. Shadle, 1881; Howard Cheney, 1874; Edward D. Lumley, 1871; William M. Du Four, March 10, 1880; James R. Montgomery, 1880; Maximilian J. Koenig, March 11, 1878; William F. Logan, 1851; John F. Griffin, March 3, 1873; William P. England, 1851; C. E. Belcher, February 26, 1877; James O. Bullock, March, 1872; William Eves, 1868; Max J. Reinhold, 1879; Harry A. Tomlinson, 1880; B. W. A. Young, 1871; William R. Hull, March 6, 1858; William M. Howell, March 1, 1869; B. M. Yost, March 12, 1880; Godfrey H. Cline; George W. Pearson, 187A, George I. Pfouts, 1846, deceased; William Goehrig, 1870; William Hayes, 1838; John Tomlinson, 1841; William E. Kunkel, 1880; George G. Wood, 1872; A. P. Hull, 1873; Thomas C. Detwiler, 1881, practicing in Lancaster; Charles L. Lyon, March 10, 1842; George W. Metzger, 1866; Joseph Hill, 1842; George C. Saeger, 1876; Thomas J. Raper, 1854; John C. Bastian, 1849; John H. Grier, 1840; Thomas W. Meckley, 1861, deceased; George Hill, 1838; Joseph W. Albright, March 12, 1879; George W. Crawford, 1879; Ward L. King, 1880; William B. Harkins, 1880; Charles E. Albright, 1854; M. B. Dewight, 1875, lives in Philadelphia; Uriah Reed, March 3, 1855; Edward W. Marshall, March 16, 1881; Walter C. Moore, 1865, lives in New York; Edward Everett, 1868; William E. Reed, 1880; Jeremiah R. Bowers, 1873; Charles A. Ward, 1882; John Senn, February 22, 1881; William T. Sheadle, March 7, 1882; A. H. Harriman, March 1, 1882; Margaret G. Coleman, March 28, 1858; Howard M. Essick, March 8, 1881; James H. DeWolf, 1878; Frank W. Johnson, 1867; Mahlon T. Milnor, April 2, 1883; Andrew J. Stokes, 1882; Louis G. Baker, March 6, 1883; Daniel C. Flanagan, March 1, 1883; Boardman P. Backus, 1876, Philadelphia; Henry M. Fessler, 1883; John Nevins, 1883; Henry J. Smith, March 10, 1865, Philadelphia; Gottleib P. Kvitsch, 1853; Charles W. Youngman, 1883; William H. Randall, 1878; John W. Carothers, 1883; James R. Rankin, 1883; William B. Konkle, March 29; 1884; George G. Verbryck, May 21, 1884; Samuel P. Glover, 1884; Sherman E. Ayars, March 31, 1884, Philadelphia; Stephen E. Palmer, March 27, 1872; Caroline G. Marr, 1880; Louis Schneider, 1865; Phoebe H. Flagler, 1879; Andrew H. Rankin, 1858; J. Frank Fleming, March 4, 1884; George F. Bell, March 13, 1885; James N. Faulkner, 1875; C. Schneider, March 1, 1881; Abram R. Lovelace, 1871; Dan E. Hughes, 1878; Harry C. Fuller, 1885; James J. Brennan, 1885; Frank M. Sisson, 1881; Joseph P. Connelly, March 18, 1886; Byron Clark, March 18, 1880, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; John C. Thompson, 1880; Abraham T. Welker, 1886; William E. Bitter, 1885; James M. Peebles, 1877, Hammonton, New Jersey; James W. Ritter, 1883; Henry S. Clemen, 1886, Allentown, Pennsylvania; Robert H. Blakesle, 1871; John Wilbur, 1885; Edward W. Cline, 1887; Charles D. Hunt, 1887; Robert A. Simpson, 1862, York, Pennsylvania; Robert G. Van Valzah, 1885; John A. Klump, 1881; George B. M. Bower, 1887; Thomas C. Rich, 1874; Daniel E. Kiess, March 15,1886; Charles R. Early, 1860, Ridgway; James P. Pursel, 1880; Samuel E. Bickell, 1888; John P. Haag, April 6, 1888; Charles W. Adams, March 12, 1888; Charles M. Blakeslee, 1871; Augustin A. Bancroft, February 27, 1868; Wesley F. Runkle, April 5, 1888; Paul W. Von Scheliha, April 4, 1889; Charles D. Shinnway, 1888, residence, Harrisburg; Thomas L. Mills, December 3, 1876, residence, Corry, Pennsylvania; Augustus Soper, 1880; Henry S. George, 1870; William U. Truckenmiller, February 25, 1868, residence, Allenwood; Ray Lyons, May 1, 1886; Shepherd L. Van Valzah, March, 1859; Reuben Hill, March 14; 1887; John W. Brown, March 11, 1870; Samuel A. Gibson, 1871, deceased; Charles Brown, April 3, 1889; Waldo W. Hull, May 1, 1889; Albra W. Baker, March 1, 1887; Nathaniel Lyke, March 14, 1884; Jacob Rhoads, April, 1848; Edward K. Prettyman, March 6, 1868; David W. Spance 1888; Thomas Theel, 1886, residence, Philadelphia; James H. Hepburn, 1889; George M. Kuhry, April 7, 1887, residence, Philadelphia; Annis H. Crawford, 1883; Philip Drick, April 2, 1890; Peter C. Reilly, April 2, 1890; Charles E. Heller, April 2, 1890; William H. Rote, April 2, 1890; Howard A. Underwood, 1873; John W. Bruner, April 2, 1890; Elmer S. Hull, March, 1884; Emmet C. Stuart, March, 15, 1887; Melvin E. Page, March 11, 1889; Nelson Cheney, 1870; Howard W. Pownall, March 12, 1879; William E. Delaney, April 4, 1891; George K. Angle, March 30,1891; David D. Davis, April 2, 1889; George B. Wix, April 2, 1890; Frank L. Moyer, June 19, 1891; Albert T. Kaupp, April 15, 1891; 1C. Lincoln Mohn, March 5, 1875; Reuben O. Davis, April 2, 1890; Moritz Salm, 1892, residence, Columbus, Ohio; Hannah C. Reinhold, March 25, 1892; John J. Cannan, April, 1892.
In the foregoing list there are seven Homoeopathists, three of the Eclectic school, and four ladies who graduated at the Womens' Medical College, Philadelphia. Biographical mention in this chapter has only been made of deceased members of the profession, with one or two exceptions. Sketches of many of the present physicians, however, will be found in the biographical department of this book.
The record shows that 186 have registered in this county up to March 31, 1892, but of this number several are deceased, a number reside elsewhere, and several are not in active practice.
The Williamsport Hospital was established, September 1, 1870, and chartered by a decree of court, August 30, 1873. It is governed by a board of managers who are chosen annually, and they select a medical staff. A resident physician is constantly in attendance, with steward and nurses. A training school for nurses is attached. The term of instruction embraces fifteen months, at the end of which the graduate receives a diploma. The association had but little capital to start with, and that was derived from the charitable. The legislature has generously appropriated from time to time over $30,000, which has enabled the management, with other revenues, to successfully found the institution. The hospital was first located on Elmira street, but finding the building too small, it was sold and a larger building on Pine street purchased. After occupying this building for a few years the management found that it would be necessary to have a building specially erected for hospital purposes. An opportunity offered to sell, when ground was purchased in the northern part of the city and an elegant hospital costing $50,000 was erected, and occupied in 1891. The location is in the northern part of the city in a quiet place. The hospital is superbly equipped. Its business is steadily increasing, and it has become an indispensable institution.
For 1892 the officers are: President, J. H. Perkins; secretary, Dr. G. D. Nutt; treasurer, Adolph Niemeyer; executive committee: Dr. B. H. Detwiler, Dr. J. Saylor-Brown, J. A. Beeber; superintendent and resident physician, Dr. Rita B. Church; medical staff: surgeons attending, 1891-September, October, and November-Dr. G. D. Nutt; 1891-92-December, January, and February-Dr. W. W. Hull; 1892-March, April, and May-Dr. J. P. Connelly; June, July, and August-Dr. C. W. Youngman.
The Home for the Friendless, a philanthropic institution, was founded by the ladies of Williamsport in 1872. It is located on Campbell street, north of the railroad, and the ground was donated by Peter Herdic for a nominal consideration. It affords a home for aged and infirm ladies, as well as children and infants. The building is a neat brick structure and cost $10,322.62. It has accommodations for fifty persons. The State aided it with appropriations amounting to $5,000, but it has to look largely to the liberality and charity of the citizens for maintenance. The Home is governed by a lady superintendent under the direction of a board of lady directors. It has been well managed from the beginning and has done much good.
In the spring of 1892 the Williamsport Infirmary was opened by Dr. Paul W. Von Scheliha and Dr. D. W. Spence. The sanitarium is located in the Linck Block on West Fourth street and comprises thirty-four rooms fitted up with all the modern conveniences, including electric light, baths, and elevator. A charity ward is also connected with the infirmary, where deserving poor persons, when properly recommended, are treated free.