LYCO Home     Cemeteries     Census     Family Trees     Lyco History     Links     Obits     Surnames    

Williamsport Area High School

History

Students numbered just 13 in the three highest grades as of 1869, with Samuel Transeau serving as the principal. Classes were held in one small room on West Fourth Street between Hepburn and Elmira streets.

The first building was constructed in 1877 at the southeast corner of West Third and Walnut Streets, accommodating 250 students on the second and third floors and providing six elementary classrooms on the first floor. The Class of 1888 consisted of 160 pupils; by 1900 the high school had eleven teachers and 370 students. At the turn of the century, four courses of study were available: classical, Latin-scientific, English-scientific and commercial, this last department being housed in the Washington Elementary School. The courses of study included such subjects as Greek, rhetoric, declamation, essays and orations. By 1923, the graduation class numbered 212 pupils.

A fire on Saturday morning, April 4, 1914, completely destroyed the Williamsport High School building and all school records. A new high school building was already under construction at the corner of West Third and Susquehanna streets. The Class of 1914 was graduated in this still unfinished structure. A new wing and a gymnasium, which was built on the south side of West Third Street.

The school colors date back at least to 1895, when The Cherry and White, the school's magazine, first appeared. The earliest available football statistics are for the 1897 season, in which the team showed a 4-2-2 record. La Memoire originated in 1920; before that time a special edition of The Cherry and White had served annually in place of a yearbook. Athletic teams have been known as the Wolverines, the Black Shirts, the Billtowners and, since the mid-1930's, the Millionaires. This current designation echoes the name of a local baseball team of 1890, in the Tri-State League, and undoubtedly refers to Williamsport's days as "the lumber capital of the world" and to the stately homes along "Millionaires' Row" on West Fourth Street.

Class of:
  • 1900
  • 1901
  • 1902
  • 1903
  • 1904
  • 1905
  • 1906
  • 1907
  • 1908
  • 1909
     
  • 1930
  • 1931
  • 1932
  • 1933
  • 1934
  • 1935
  • 1936
  • 1937
  • 1938
  • 1939
 
  • 1940
  • 1941
  • 1942
  • 1943
  • 1944
  • 1945
  • 1946
  • 1947
  • 1948
  • 1949
 
  • 1950
  • 1951
  • 1952
  • 1953
  • 1954
  • 1955
  • 1956
  • 1957
  • 1958
  • 1959
 
  • 1960
  • 1961
  • 1962
  • 1963
  • 1964
  • 1965
  • 1966
  • 1967
  • 1968
  • 1969
 
  • 1970
  • 1971
  • 1972
  • 1973
  • 1974
  • 1975
  • 1976
  • 1977
  • 1978
  • 1979

 

 

 

 

 



PAGenWeb     USGenWeb Project     USGenNet
© 2005 Lycoming County Genealogy Project

This page was last updated:  February 09, 2009 at 07:52
You are the 1900th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since August 1, 2007