|The STYMIEST's in Kingsbury County
James W. Stymiest - He moved from Wisconsin to Twin Brooks, South Dakota where he lived with his parents on a farm. Weh he was 36 he met and married Sara Mainwood, on February 14, 1897. They had three boys: chester Alfred; Lester Edward; and Glenn William. James and two partners were well diggers. The first well in Milbank, South Dakota was dug by them. From this business, he moved to Altamont, South Dakota where he owned and operated a blacksmith shop until he was forced out of business due to poor health. He then moved to Bancroft, South Dakota as a farmer. From there, they moved to Vayland, South Dakota, near De Smet on the old Mainwood farm. The depression came with the drought so farmers could not raise crops and they lost the farm to creditors. He died in a Huron, South Dakota hospital from prostate gland surgery on April 8, 1931 and was buried in De Smet, South Dakota. Sara wa born April 26, 1873 and died March 27, 1949.
Chester married Inez Ethel Tobey in Watertown, South Dakota on June 9, 1926.
Lester married Mary Wegner on October 29, 1923 and lived in Miller, South Dakota
Glenn married Agnes Gomsrud in Midland, South Dakota on September 20, 1928. They met in St. Lawrence, South Dakota. They farmed north of Lake Preston, South Dakota where the two boys were born. They then moved 5 miles north of Lake Preston where the three girls were born. They lived there until 1944 when fire destroyed their home and all their possessions. They farmed in the Lake Preston area until 1955 when they moved into to the village. During their marriage, they picked potatoes, operated several trailer courts, worked at Kopperud furniture and worked at Hillestad Oil Company. In May of 1982, Agnes became ill with cancer and died at Kingsbury Memorial Manor in Lake Preston on July 10, 1982. They had five children: Denton Dean; Darrell William; Patricia Irene; Glenna M; and Sherrill Ann.
Below is a brief history of the county.Both can be found in the SD Genweb archives.
This information appears in Chapter LXXIV of "History of South Dakota" by Doane Robinson, Vol. I (1904), pages 392-407 and was scanned, OCRed and edited by Joy Fisher, email@example.com This file may be freely copied by individuals and non-profit organizations for their private use. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the file's author. This file is part of the SDGENWEB Archives. If you arrived here inside a frame or from a link from somewhere else, our front door is at http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/sd/sdfiles.htm
KINGSBURY COUNTYNamed for George W. Kingsbury, editor, of Yankton. Created by legislature of 1873, but rearranged by Brown bill of 1879. Organized by Governor Howard December 15, 1879. Explored by John C. Fremont in 1838, who surveyed and named the lakes Preston, for Senator Preston, of North Carolina, and Albert (Abert), for Senator Abert, of Florida. Jacob Hanson was the first settler at Lake Albert, 1873. The principal settlement came with the railroad in 1880, from which time Arlington, Lake Preston, DeSmet and Iroquois date. The Hawarden line was built in 1883 and the Milwaukee in 1887. Thomas H. Ruth was commissioner of school and public lands, 1891-95; Charles Stromback, oil inspector, 1890-1893; Thomas Reed, regent of education, 1883-5; J. F. Halladay, state auditor, 1903; Carter P. Sherwood, food and dairy Commissioner, 1901. Area, 834 square miles. Population, 1900, 9,866. Company E, First South Dakota, in Philippines, was recruited here.