Topography—Waubay lake takes up quite a bit of the south and east part of this township, and the rest of the township is quite rolling.

The earliest settlements made in and around this lake were filed upon the native timber tracts, as the homesteaders wanted to make sure of having fuel for the winters. The original settlers, were mostly Polish and Norwegian, but now better than three fourths of it is Polish settlers and descendants of the original settlers. This land has been very productive and these people have been grain farming all these years, and most of the farms are producing a bigger crop of wild oats than of grain. They are beginning to realize that they must diversify and build up the soil, and have made a very fair beginning at this time. This township had two postoffices established in the early eighties, Thorson postoffice, M. Thorson, postmaster, in section one. Nutley postoffice in section five, L. Haselden, postmaster.

Those still living on their homesteads will be shown below with a *.

The first child born here was Rosa Gruba, born April 5, 1883 to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Gruba.

The first death was that of Anton Wasilk, January 1, 1884.

The first marriage was between Ole Hanson and Caroline Johnson, June 1, 1883.

The largest family was born to Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Koslowski, eleven sons and three daughters.

This township was named on division of the township at a meeting of the homesteaders. The name was agreed upon and was approved by the county commissioners.

Dates of settlement of homesteaders:

1876-77—Albert Barse, G. W. Spencer.

1879—*Joseph Gruba, Joseph Helvig.

1880—I. J. Hanson, B. G. Ament.

1881—Frank Gruba, Rev. L. E. Kjelaas, *Tom J. Hagen, M. Thorson.

1882—M. M. and Markus E. Stavig, S. J. Reed, Markus T. Hustad, Ole, Severt, and Hans Loseth, Andras, *Daniel, and Andrew Sandvig, *M. 0. Skunberg, John Breske, John Gruba, Martin and Anton Block, Frank Kurkowski, Frank Krzebiatkowski, Mrs. Martha Hagen, Dena Peterson, Joe Block, A. Wasilke, Joseph Lesner.

1883—*Ole Hanson, *A. Danelson, Carl Johnson, H. C. Halverson, Lars Erickson, John Lewno, J. P. Reilander, (J. P.), F. Lehman, Jack Reynolds, J. H. Rezeppa, J. Krzebiatkowski, J. P. Stoli.

1884—*Jacob Pionk, Aug. Schultz, *John Ewalt, Thomas Snaza, F. Osowski, Albert Dolney, Bernard Boik, C. 0. Lovig, S. C. Farman, J. Iserlson, P. Bissner, J. Snaza, M. Iverson, V. Koslowski, J. Nikeleison, John Soldeteka, H. 0. Hendrickson, *A. 0. and 0. 0. Heggalin, Joe Lesner.

1885—*I. P. Bugan, M. P. Dahl, Botle Halverson, Sam Hanson, M. Lardy, Robert Hoga, *Ole J. Lensgrav, Mike Baisch, S. Cytlaka, A. Knaznowski, Frank Wika.

1886—John Sigmiller, John Wika, Larry Dolney, L. Wirkus, Mrs. Mary Tomasjewski.

1887-88—P. Sigmiller, P. Jakjewski.

Note—Abe Folsom and his father opened and kept a small stock of groceries and provisions in a log house near where the Hildebrand home now stands, in the fall of 1880. He also moved the Waubay post office from the D. W. Paul house and kept it until discontinued in fall of 1881. Mr. Folsom now operates a hotel at Littlefork, Minnesota.



M. M. Stavik was twelve years old when his parents came to America from Romsdalen, Norway, settling in Pope county, Minnesota in 1876. In the spring of 1883 he, with his father and twelve other settlers, came to Day county. He filed on his present homestead March 1, 1884, just three days after his twenty-first birthday. February 1, 1888, he was united in marriage to Miss Sina Lovig and to them were born six daughters and three sons, all living. While four of the girls have married, two of the girls and three of the boys still remain at home.

To his homestead he has added 240 acres and farms it all. He has not only practiced diversified farming, but has adopted a systematic working schedule. He milks ten to twelve cows, markets about thirty-five hogs, and a good bunch of all kinds of poultry, annually. Alfalfa, corn and sweet clover comprise his forage crop.

He has a modern home, which is cheered by the musical ability of his children. This property has been produced from the original homestead and additional land through hard work and good judgment, for all his earthly goods, after filing on his claim, was five dollars.

Phone and R. F. D., Roslyn, S. D.


Daniel Sandvig came to America from Tyrisdal Tellemarken, Norway with his mother, September, 1881, landing in Big Stone county, Minnesota. He worked for farmers until the spring of 1883, when he, with his father and brother, came to Day county. He filed a preemption and later a homestead, then filed his father's tree claim, which he proved up as such. To this he has added eighty acres.

He was married March, 1905 and to them was born one son. His wife died in 1908. After this Mr. Sandvig retained married help until 1920, when he married the widow of his brother, Andrew.


Mr. Sandvig has run a threshing machine ever since he came into the county and still has a separator which has run for twenty-five years and is still in good order. He has been hailed out several times, but suffered his severest loss is the memorable storm of June 12, 1922.

The grove which is shown in the picture, contains ten acres, planted twenty years ago. Buildings which are not shown in the picture include: large barn, granary, machine shed, blacksmith shop, wood working shop, garage, feed mill, hog and chicken house, milk house and a separate home for the renter, as he lets out all but forty acres of his farm.

His only income has been from hard labor on his own farm. He always pays cash.

Phone and R. F. D., Roslyn, S. D.


Mr. T. J. Hagen came to America from Christiana, Norway, June, 1879, and landed in Renville county, Minnesota. He came to Dakota Territory June, 1882 and filed on his present homestead and tree claim. He was married to Miss Sigred Glosimodt, April, 1884 and to them were born six sons and three daughters, all of whom are living in South Dakota.

He bought and improved a farm of 125 acres, adjoining his own, for one of his sons. Mr. Hagen has always practiced diversified farming, as he was raised on a small farm in Norway. He milks twelve to fourteen cows and markets twenty-five hogs, one hundred fifty chickens, fifty turkeys and about fifteen head of cattle, annually. After filing fees had been paid, Mr. Hagen had less than a hundred dollars and all he has made since then has come from hard labor on his farm.

The grove which is shown in above picture contains ten acres.

Phone, Roslyn and R. F. D., Webster, S. D.


©2003, Virginia A. Cisewski