Waubay was known by railroad graders as station No. 50. This name has been changed in manner of spelling several times. In the Dak-o-ta language, it is Wa-Be, then it became Wah-Be, next Wah-Bey, when Supt. Prior located the railroad station the present name came into being, WAUBAY. Some of the sub railroad graders, began work along in May, 1880, but work was rushed from September on until grading was completed and construction trains were running by October 15, as far as Bristol. About that time one of Dakota's snow storms came along, and after the last construction train got back out of the hills, all the cuts were filled level full, and no more trains ran that fall. Prior had the town platted, November 18, 1880, as November was a nice month and this work could be done.
The records show that Daniel Brown, resident of Louisiana, had a homestead filing on the east half of the S. E. quarter of Sect. 33, the West half of the S. W. quarter of Sect. 34-122-54. (It would be a safe bet that Daniel Brown never saw, nor ever made any improvements on this homestead). This is the correct description of the original townsite of Waubay. Homer Fritz filed and built on the quarter adjoining on the west, and Ralph Chapman, filed on the quarter joining on the east, he also kept a small stock of groceries and provisions, while holding down his claim in 1880. (Mr. Ralph Chapman was frozen to death in a storm March 1881).
1881. The first general store built by M. Rexford and E. R. Thompson about August 1st. They also kept a small stock of lumber. Same year, Case and Sager built the first drug store. Dr. Case was also the first physician. First blacksmith shop, Geo. Mandler. First livery barn, Fred Pike. In the month of September the depot and coal sheds were built, F. Stringham was the first agent. First residence was built by J. Carlson.
1882. First hotel by Robert Stevenson.
1884. First schoolhouse, built on the lot where F. Smith's residence now stands. Ada Laird was the teacher. 1890. First newspaper "Waubay Clipper" by D. W. Stafford & Son. Mrs. Jane Black is now owner and editor of this same paper.
1894. First, Congregational Church; Second, M. E. Church; Third, German Lutheran; Fourth, Catholic; Fifth, Norwegian Lutheran.
In 1893 the village was incorporated. Incorporated as a city in 1920 by statute of 1919 Session of Legislature. A. T. H. Bosland chosen first mayor. P. M. Englehart present mayor.
Second school building was a two story frame building on the block of the present school house. This burned in 1905. The same year the first half of the present school building was erected, which answered until 1913, when it was increased to the present size.
Rooms in present building: eight grades, eight high school and class rooms, and gymnasium.
Enrollment: High school 137, grades 237. Tuition students high school 69.
Faculty: High school teachers 7, grades 9.
This is an accredited school, and second largest in the county.
The town began its healthy growth after the reservation was opened for settlement in 1892, all lines of business are well represented, and the population is approximately 1,000. City water system, pumped from a thirty foot well, by electric motor, to a tower tank. Excellent water and good pressure. Water mains are laid in the entire city. No sewer system. Fire equipment: 2 chemical engines, hook and ladder, hose truck. Ottertail electric high line. Long distance and local phones, Dakota Central Telephone Co. 4 R. F. D. routes. Waubay is the second largest city in the county.
Mrs. David Marshall, has a Canary Bird Hatchery, and specializes in Harts Mountain Roller birds. She hatches about 250 birds annually, and our people can purchase them at a very reasonable price. Most of her birds go to the Twin Cities and Chicago.
David Marshall, Jr., owner of one of the best gravel pits in the north half of the state, and it has been tested by the federal government and fills all requirements, supplies hundreds of carloads to stations west and east annually.
The Waubay Creamery Company was organized and built its first plant in 1902. The company has always operated on a cooperative basis. In 1917 the present plant, as shown in above picture, was built, as the old one was no longer sufficient to take care of the ever increasing business. The company has always paid the highest market price for butter fat and since the World War has paid its patrons an annual dividend of from one and a half to three and a half cents per pound. In 1925 this creamery produced about 500,000 pounds of butter and practically all of this was shipped to the Boston market. Their brand is known as "Lily."
Mr. J. H. Hammer has been manager since the creamery was started and understands how to make good butter.
PresidentD. P. Herrington.
SecretaryMrs. J. H. Hammer.
DirectorsD. P. Herrington, John Lines, Charles Brady, Soren Bisgard, Charles Subke.