entered 160 acres, where he now lives, as a homestead at that time. He has been successful in his farming
operations, and owns, in addition to his original farm, 160 acres of good land in section 24. All the improvements
on his place are the result of his own labor. He started with none too much of this world's goods, but by thrift,
economy and strict attention to his business duties, he has acquired a competence and is now fairly well-to-do. He
devotes his time to general farming and stock raising. Politically he is a Republican, and is also a member of the
board of school directors.
Mr. Carlson was married in 1867, in his native land, to Miss Mary Olson, and they are the parents of eight children,
viz.: Hannah, now the wife of Dick Heidland; Ida, wife of Dick De Nuy; Conrad, Alma, Ludwig, Eddie, Huldah, and
Albeda. Both he and wife are devout Christians and members of the Baptist church.
confidence of the entire community, and during his short period of life here has made many warm friends and a host
He was born in Boscobel, Wis., October 11, 1869. His father, Dr. Charles S. K. Bailey, was a graduate of the
Baltimore and Philadelphia Medical Colleges, and also of the University of New York, and he practiced for many
years in Boscobel. During the war he was an examining surgeon at Woodman, Wis., and in 1871 he removed to Colorado
for his health, later to San Francisco, and in the latter city he passed away, his death occurring in September,
1876. He married Mrs. Eleanor O. Jackson, nee Woolley, a native of Watertown, N. Y., and to them were born three
childrenEffie L., Frank M. and Myrtle F. The mother of our subject still survives.
Frank M. when he was three years of age was adopted by an English family by the name of Hoskin, then residing in
Lancaster, Wis., and with his foster parents he lived some nine years. At the expiration of that time, his mother
having re-married, he went to live with her for two years, and then he started out for himself. The first summer
he found employment on a ferry boat at Specht's Ferry, Iowa, and in the spring of 1884 he went to Rock county,
Minn., putting in the season at farm labor. In November of the same year he entered the printing establishment
publishing the Beaver Creek Graphic as "devil" and there learned the printer's trade. After two years of
service he secured a position on the Valley Springs Enterprise, published at Valley Springs, S. Dak., but he only
remained with this paper until September, 1888, when he returned to Rock county, Minn., and was employed in the
office of the Rock County News, published at Luverne. He remained on the staff of the latter paper until August,
1893, and during that period he established The Western Literary journal, but this he only operated about a year,
after which he abandoned the enterprise, and went to Hills, Minn., where he established the Hills Crescent. That
paper he continued until March, 1896, at which time, as stated above, he came to Vermillion. He owns the Clay
County Freeman, which he purchased on arrival, and is its editor-in-chief.