is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Surry county, August 3, 1827. His father and mother, Benjamin and
Margaret Taylor, were both born in Currituck county of the same state. After their marriage they settled in what is
now Davie county and there both passed to the world beyond, Mr. Taylor in 1837, and his good wife in 1848.
Our subject was reared in Davie county, N. C., on a farm, and continued to make his home there until June, 1853, at
which time he went to Mercer county, Mo., remained there during the following winter, and then in the spring of
1854 went to Decatur county, Iowa. In this latter place he operated a farm until the spring of 1858, then went to
North Bend, Dixon Co., Neb., and in July, 1859, crossed the river into what is now Clay county, S. Dak. He took up
a claim in Fairview township about three-quarters of a mile from where he now lives, and on this property he
settled and remained until 1870, at which time he removed to his present location in section 21. As stated above
his estate consists of 320 acres, and since coming to Dakota farming and agricultural pursuits have always
received the most of his attention.
Mr. Taylor was married to Fairview township, May 25, 1870, to Mrs. Martha G. Warner, the widow of Charles S. Warner.
Mrs. Taylor was born in Davie county, N. C., January 22, 1834, and is a daughter of Lamb and Margaret (Cornell)
Taylor, the former a native of Currituck county, N. C., and the latter from Maryland. They came to Clay county
during the early sixties and settled in this township, where they both subsequently died. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are
the parents of one daughter, Margaret E. who is now the wife of William A. Ufford.
Mr. Taylor served in the territorial legislature for five sessions, and during the early days of the territory was
appointed register of deeds of Clay county by the governor. He was also appointed by the county commissioners,
before the county had been divided in school districts, county superintendent, and under his direction at that time
the settled portions of the county were laid out into school districts and supplied with teachers. He has always
given much attention to educational matters, and during latter years took an active part in promoting and pushing
to completion the University of South Dakota. He and Capt. Nelson Miner selected the spot where that old historic
"first school house in Dakota" was erected. Mr. Taylor also served three years in the office of county
commissioner, and when Dakota was a territory was appointed by Judge Williston as clerk of the first judicial
district court. He is a Democrat in politics and has always affiliated with that party since attaining his majority.
As an old settler he has seen the wonderful development of the country, from a vast