flour, feed and produce. This latter enterprise he conducted until the flood of 1881, when he built the kiln which
he now operates in the manufacture of brick. His process is what is known as the semi-dry, which produces brick of
a superior quality, and his establishment has a capacity of 25,000 per day. He owns fifteen acres of land all
located within the limits of Vermillion, and from this he gets the raw material for his manufactory.
Mr. Bower and Miss Julia M. Morrow were united in marriage in Lodi, Columbia Co., Wis., April 3, 1866. Mrs. Bower
is a native of Bellville, Ohio, born March 16, 1844, and by her union with our subject has become the mother of
three children, viz.: Lizzie M., the wife of Charles Brinstad; Frank W. and Grace M. Mr. Bower takes quite an
interest in temperance work and is a member of the civic federation which organization is doing some effective
work against the prevalent curse of the age. Religiously he belongs to the Congregational church, of which he has
been a member with his wife since coming to Dakota, and socially he holds membership in Miner post No. 8, G. A. R.
K. BERRY, treasurer of Turner county, and an
influential citizen of southeastern Dakota, was born in Knox county, Ill., in the year 1849. His father, Isaac
Berry, a native of Virginia, but of English descent,
left his native state at an early day, and settled on a farm in Knox county, Ill., about the year 1840. In 1853 he
removed with his family to Wapello county, Iowa, where he died at the age of seventy-two years. The mother of our
subject, prior to her marriage, was Miss Mary Maxwell, born in North Carolina, but settling in Illinois at an early
day in its history. Our subject is the fourth of seven children, six of whom were sons, and one a daughter. The
mother died at the age of sixty-six years. The children all grew to manhood and womanhood.
Our subject was about four years of age when the family removed to Iowa. He was reared in that state, attending
the public school, and remaining with the family until his marriage, which happy event occurred October 24, 1870.
The life partner which he chose at that date was Miss Mary Dugan, native of Iowa, born in Monroe county in 1853,
and the daughter of George and Diana (Carter) Dugan.
For two years after his marriage he prosecuted his farming in Iowa, and then, in 1872, he went to Turner county,
Dak. Ter., and took up a homestead in Swan Lake township. This farm he improved, and remained upon it for nine
years. About this time he engaged with the Wilcox Lumber company of Yankton. This connection continued seven years,
when he engaged with J. H. Queal & Co., also in the lumber business, with whom he remained three years. He
then resigned his place with them, and devoted his attention to farming and stock-raising.
Elected to the office of treasurer of Turner county in 1894 and re-elected in 1896, he still resides on his farm.
This farm consists of three hundred and twenty acres of fine land, besides other tracts that he rents each year.
He has made a distinct success of the stock business, in which he is extensively engaged, and he has shown himself
thoroughly master of the secret of success in agriculture. He is one of the enterprising and ambitious