he took the most important step in his careerhis marriagethe happy event occurring July 2, 1860. The
bride was Miss Ermina Howard, a native of Henry county, Ill., and a daughter of Sperry and Nancy Howard, and after
their marriage the young couple located on a farm in Jefferson county, Wis., where Mr. Howard devoted his time
and attention to the general farming business until 1879. That year he came with his family to Turner county, Dak.
Ter., and settled on the farm whereon he now makes his home. He entered government land, and all the improvements,
such as fences, buildings, etc., have been made by him since his settlement on the property. He now has 160 acres
of land, and in connection with farming operations also follows his trade of mason, which business he learned when
Mr. and Mrs. Howard are the parents of four children on whom have been bestowed the following names, viz.: K. C.,
Alfred S., Willis G. and Edna E. He belongs to the A. O. U. W., lodge No. 2, at Parker, and has served many years
on the school board of his district, taking great interest in the cause of education.
above named. He is located in section 6, and has an attractive farm adorned with well-built structures of various
kinds needed in carrying on the occupation of general farming.
Mr. Stilwell was born in Tompkins county, N. Y. , May 16, 1829. His father, Clark Stilwell, was a lumberman by
occupation, and removed with his family to Tioga county, Penn., when our subject was about six years old. In the
latter place William grew to maturity, assisting his father, and was a member of the parental household until he
attained the age of twenty-three years. At that time he took an important step in his career, which was his
marriage to Miss Selina Kinne, who was born in Romulus, Seneca Co., N. Y., July 9, 1832, and he and his bride then
settled in Tioga county, Penn., where Mr. Stilwell engaged in farming quite extensively. He continued his farming
operations until 1863, when he removed to Elmira, Chemung Co., N. Y., and established himself in the mercantile
business. For eleven years he carried on business there, and then sold out in August, 1875, and removed to Dakota
territory, locating in section 6 of Dayton township, where he has since lived. The improvements he has made are
first-class in every respect and include a large number of shade trees, shrubs, etc. He has taken quite an
interest in local affairs of a public nature, and beside being a member of the town board has also held many of
the minor offices of Dayton township. He is a popular man and a good citizen.
Mrs. Stilwell has faithfully discharged her duties as wife and mother, and as a member of the community is highly
regarded for her kindness of heart and spirit of benevolence, and is a consistent and devout Christian, being a
member of the Baptist church. She is a well-educated and intelligent lady. and has taught school in her district,
since coming to Dakota territory, for three terms. Prior to her marriage with our subject she was also a