under Gen. McClelland. At the battle of Antietam our subject was wounded in the breast by a piece of shell, sent to
the hospital at Frederick City, Md., and there discharged on account of disability, caused by the wound. He
returned home to Pennsylvania, and in 1863 started west to Wisconsin, where he again enlisted as a soldier under
the stars and stripes, this time becoming corporal of company H, Forty-third Wisconsin regiment, infantry. The
regiment in due time was mustered into Gen. Sherman's command, and was engaged principally on guard duty at
railroad stations from Nashville to Johnsonville until the close of hostilities.
After his discharge in June, 1865, our subject returned to the Badger state, locating in Grant county until 1872,
and then removed to Butler county, Neb., on a wild piece of land which he improved and lived on until 1878, coming
at that time to Dakota territory, and settling on the farm whereon he now makes his home and base of operations.
His landed possessions aggregate 210 acres, and the improvements which have been made greatly enhance its value.
In addition to a good residence he has erected barns and other out buildings, introduced the latest improved
machinery, and placed his farm on an equal with any in the township. He always keeps abreast of the times, and for
his success in life deserves not a little credit. He may truly be called a self-made man, for without capital or
influential friends to aid him in the conflict, he began the battle of life, and the word success has been written
upon his banner.
Mr. Polley was married in 1875 to Miss Margaret E. Bradberry, a native of Grant county, Wis., and to this union
have been born six children, viz.: Leta, Leanna, Bertha, Zora, Ford, and Nina. The children are all afforded the
advantages of good educations, and the eldest daughter is now a student at the state university. As a citizen he
faithfully discharges his duties and to the cause of education he is a warm friend. He has been school treasurer,
and also served as township assessor, and in political matters is identified with the Republican party. Socially he
holds membership in the G. A. R. post at Hurley.
December 5, 1824, in Randolph, Cattaraugus county, to Clement and Sabra (Harvey) Russell, natives of Maine and New
York, respectively. This couple married and settled in the place where our subject was born, and in 1830 emigrated
to Michigan, settling first in Lenawee county, later in St. Joseph county, and then in Branch county of the same
state, where they continued to reside until 1837. The latter year Mr. Russell, with his family, started for Iowa
and located in Jones county, and there both he and his wife passed to the world beyond, their deaths occurring at
Fairview of that state.
Of the seven children composing the family, five were sons and two were daughters, and Miles was the eldest. He was
about thirteen years of age when he accompanied his parents to the Hawkeye state, and in Jones county