Alta, Pennington county, South Dakota


Also known as Altamine, it had a population of 20 in 1878. A 40-stamp mill was built here by the Alta Lodi Mining Company in 1883 and it was later moved to Lookout. James Cochran built a 16-ton Huntington mill and operated it during the summer from 1883 to 1917. Located approximately 1 1/2 miles southwest of Rochford.