The great Golden Reward Gold Mining Company was headquartered in Astoria. The company operated from 1887 to 1918 and mined over $21,000,000 in gold from 440 claims in the Ruby Basin and Bald Mountain mining districts. Their mill was a pioneer in the use of natural gas for smelting the ore which was brought to the mill by both narrow-gauge and standard-gauge railroads. Its remains can be seen to the west of US 85, about 2 miles southwest of Lead. Submitted by

lawrence county