Cascade is sometimes called Cascade Springs and is in Alabough Canyon about 8 miles south of Hot Springs on SD 87. It was founded in 1888 as a resort town. A warm mineral spring gushing out 2,000 gallons of warm water a minute was to be the invitation to attract visitors to the resort town. A four story, hundred-room hotel was built. 36 city blocks were laid out and partially developed. It was thought the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad would go through Cascade on its way to Hot Springs. It probably would have had developers not held up the railroad for high right-of-way prices which forced the railroad to seek another route, which it did. Cascade then gradually began to decline and by 1900 only a post office and 25 people remained. A visit to Cascade is worthwhile
In July 1999 there were only two buildings left. The bank building, which is a residence and the banker's home still standing. All other buildings are gone. The picture of the Mayors residence was identified, by the owner, as the original bank of Cascade Springs. The hotel once there was torn down and the stones were used to build the Sister's Hospital and a Catholic Church in Hot Springs. Both have since been torn down. The blocks are still stored and have been used in part of the construction of a Motel in Hot Springs as a decoration. Most of the stones are stored in piles at Hot Springs.