Fort Defiance, otherwise known as the Gordon Stockade, was so named because it was built and used by settlers to defy both Indians and the U.S. Cavalry in the early days. It was built in 1874, rebuilt during the 1920s, and rebuilt again in the 1930s. The U.S. Cavalry was stationed there for a short time but were never challenged by Indians. Although Fort Defiance is small, it's worth a visit as it is one of the authentic forts of the old west.

Authentic, small ruins

Custer county