Named for General George C. Meade of Civil War fame, the fort was founded in 1878 and for many years was the home of Custer's 7th Cavalry. In 1892, the fort was under the command of Colonel C. H. Carlton and the 8th Cavalry. It was Colonel Carlton who initiated the playing of the Star Spangled Banner at all military functions and ordered all persons within hearing to remove their hats when it was played. This led Secretary of War Daniel Lamont to order the playing of the National Anthem at every army post each evening at retreat. One of the authentic forts of the old west.
Authentic, small ruins.