Fort Sisseton was built in 1864 to protect wagon trains from the Sioux Indian attacks. The fort was abandoned in 1888. Few of the original buildings survived from the 1880s when it became unoccupied, but it was restored in the 30's. As funds permit, the grounds are being built back as they were when the fort was occupied. There is a rondezvous (fur trade era reenactment) and Civil War reenactment there anually the first weekend in June
Located twenty miles west of Sisseton.