Greenwod was founded about 1885 and in its prime had a post office, school, livery stable, blacksmith shop, a boarding house for miners and the usual mercantile store. The town received its name from a grove of trees that populated the area. The town survived until about 1912 when its founder, a Robert Flormann, was killed attempting to rescue a miner from a burning mine. In 1971 the last of the houses was torn down but many foundations and the mine itself can still be seen.
Torn down in 1971. Foundations and mine remain.