In 1879 a Charles Dunphy discovered what was thought to be the next bonanza and named it the Montana Mine. The next year a mill costing $160,000 was built, the money coming from New Hampshire investors. It operated only a few months when it was discovered the ore was unoxidizaable and the gold could not be recovered by the amalgamation method. Other attempts were made in the years following and as recently as 1938 but all were unsuccessful. The mine was closed in 1941. Today only one house remains standing but there are several ruins and the foundation of the mill is still there.
Much of the town has crumbled. One house and some foundations remain.