county, South Dakota
Grindstone was established in
the early or mid 1800s. It was located between Grindstone Butes and
Pino Springs in Haakon county South Dakota. Origionaly it was Bad River
Crossing Stage Stop. During the late 1870s it was a small but thriveing
community sporting a two story hotel, a saloon and a bank. The
population may have been around 200 hardy souls at one time. The first
post office for the aria was established March 31,
During the summer of 1886 the
Northwestern Railroad Company completed a section of track from Omaha
Nebr. to Deadwood S.D. putting the stage line out of buisness. However
the old stage route was used by cowboys, prospectors, and drifters for
many more years.
By 1903 the town of Wall S.D.
located 23 miles southwest of Grindstone, had become the new trade
center of the aria, Grindstone was still holding it's own in 1906 with
a General Store, a hall, a saloon, a post office, a barber shop, a
lumber yard and at one time two different newspapers. The newspapers
eeked out a living mostly from the Government postings and listings of
land grants and notices.