Hayward became a gold mining camp in 1876. As a camp, it didn't last long due to constant Indian attacks and was abandoned by its three prospectors. Later that some year, three other prospectors, one of whom was named Charles Hayward, came from Custer and laid out a town. In a few months, there were 300 miners and by the following year the town became the temporary seat of Custer County. For a while Hayward was the site of extensive hydraulic mining. Today Hayward has a school and a very fine tourist attraction in Rushmore Cave. It is about 7 miles east of Keystone, on the Hermosa road.
Semi-ghost, much is left.