Maitland is worth a trip due to some of the original buildings and equipment can still be seen. The town is about 2 1/2 miles northwest of Central City on the False Bottom Creek. It was a great mining district in the early days with many producing mines, one of which was the Penobscot. In 1902, Alexander Maitland took over the Penobscot mine and the town began to be known by his name. It was originally called Garden City. In 1902, the mine had a 40 ton-ton stamp mill which burned down in the 1950s while being dismantled. The best road to Maitland is through Blacktail Gulch, starting in Central City
Many original ruins remain.