The town was named after the hometown of Pierre Wibeaux, a Frenchman with cattle and mining interests. The story of Roubaix is mainly that of the Uncle Sam mine. Discovered in 1878, the mine changed hands many times. In 1889, Wibeaux bought it and renamed it the Clover Leaf. The mine produced over one million dollars in gold for Wibeaux before a cave-in and flood in 1905 forced the mine to close. The town had a population of around 500, a post office, boarding houses, a town hall, churches, a school and a newspaper. There are a few buildings still standing. The town is to the east of US 385, about 7 miles south of Pluma.