Kuna Cemetery Main District
1321 Boise Street
Kuna, Ada County, Idaho 83634

Driving Directions:  Take Exit 44 (Hwy 69, Kuna-Meridian Road) off Interstate 84 and go south approximately 8 miles to Kuna.  Stay on Avalon Street to Main Street.  At stop sign on D Avenue turn north for one block then turn west on Fourth Street for one quarter mile to the stop sign at School Avenue.  Turn north on School Avenue for one half mile to Boise Street, turn west on Boise Street to the cemetery entrance.

At the beginning of the 20th Century the Town site of Kuna was formed (20 miles south and west of Boise), following completion of the Oregon Short Line Railroad through there in 1882.  With the promise of irrigation water, many homesteaders had already staked their claims, moved in and started to settle in the surrounding area, which was all a sagebrush desert.  In 1905 the Federal Government authorized Arrowrock Dam above Boise City to be built to bring water to 50,000 barren acres.  It was dedicated in February 1909 and water was diverted into canals the settlers had dug with horses and mules, shovels, slips and Fresno's, at that time it became very fertile farmland.

Realizing the need for a burial site the very early merchants formed an organization and bought four acres of land for that purpose it was named "The Fairview Cemetery."  The first burial recorded was Miranda Benton, born 22 Mar 1862, buried 23 Jul 1909.

By 1928 the Founding Fathers had formed another organization called the "Commissioners of the Kuna Cemetery Maintenance District" in what was by that time the Village of Kuna.  The Board of Trustees at a meeting on 5 Jun 1928 authorized the sale of the Fairview Cemetery for the sum of $500.00, which was paid to the Village of Kuna, and the name was changed to Kuna Cemetery.  It then became a taxing entity funded by levies assessed on the valuation of taxable property and the sale of burial plots and interments.

A visual survey of the grounds was done on September 9, 2003 by Phil Roush of Boise, Wendell Blunt of Caldwell and Eva Book Trullinger of Clovis, CA, each with hand-held recorders putting the information from each headstone on tape, which Eva transcribed to form the list that follows.  Since Kuna had it's humble beginnings, the population has exploded to over 10,000 residents in recent years, and records indicate 1,499 interments, as of December 3, 2003.

Special acknowledgement goes to Paul Castle and Virginia Fisk, the Sexton and Secretary/Treasurer of the Kuna Cemetery, which now covers 14 acres.   Without their assistance this mission would never have been completed.

Current Board of Directors:
Linda Ostolasa, Chairman
Jayne Davis
Jerry Shaul

 

 

Listings - A - E, F - J, K - P, R - Z

Transcribed and submitted by Eva Book Trullinger.

Back to Ada County