Chapter 2, Part VII 

From Sudbury he soon after marched to Marlboro', where he seems to have remained several weeks, taking a large part in the negotiations concerning the redemption of captives, regulating (?) the affairs of the friendly Indians, etc. It is evident that he was always impatient of commands from his superior officers. The "seniority" rule of precedence was strictly adhered to in the colonial army, and in active service we find him constantly either disregarding or avoiding it. It is evident, even from Church's own account, that at the Fort fight, Gen. Winslow was only nominally in command; for when by Church's advice he had resolved to hold the fort and remain, "a certain Captain" threatened to shoot his horse under him if he attempted to enter with his troops, and "in a great heat" declared that Church had "lied" to him about the situation, and then a certain Doctor "brusled up" and supported the said captain. There is little doubt that this captain was Mosely. The exploits of Mr. Church in this campaign seem not to have been known to any of the early historians except himself. It is plain that the Massachusetts officers, especially Mosely, at the head of his veterans, popular, and flushed with the fresh victory in which Church had no part, would regard his interference as that of an insolent upstart. This popularity with the army, and the violent party of Indian-haters, together with his eminent success in the field, and probably his near relationship to the Governor's family, supported him in many notorious acts of insubordination and insolence towards his superiors, and even the Council. The hanging of Indians, referred to in his letter, was probably his "tying up" of the two Indian captives and extorting their evidence against the eleven seized at Marlboro'. The affair of Job Kattenanit, a tried and faithful "praying" Indian, whom, for his faithful service, Gen. Denison, by the advice of Major Savage, had given liberty to seek out his family held as captives by Philip's allies, shows Mosely's influence; for he came to the General's head-quarters and denounced both officers, and raised such a storm of indignation that they were obliged to send forthwith to bring Job back. And although members of the Council were very indignant at his insolent conduct, he was not even reprimanded, either for this act, or his high-handed proceeding at Concord; where he entered the congregation on the Sabbath, and harangued the people against the peaceful Nashobah Indians, whom the Council had placed in the charge of Mr. Hoare; and then seized the Indians, allowing , his soldiers to plunder all their possessions in spite of Mr. Hoare's remonstrances, and marched them down to Boston, whence the Court was constrained to send them to Deer Island, where with many other friendly Indians they were subjected to fearful privations. A full account of all these transactions may be found in the History of the Praying Indians by that upright and noble man, Gen. Daniel Gookin; a summary of which will be given in a subsequent chapter.

Capt. Mosely marched with Major Savage from Marlborough to Quaboag, March 1, 1676. They were there joined by the Connecticut troops, and all moved on towards Northampton, and he was engaged in the succeeding campaign in the west. On May 5th he received an independent commission, and the wages of his soldiers were to be raised by popular subscription, and besides they were to have all the profits accruing from the plunder or sale of captives, and if these resources failed, the Court was to make up the balance; and this irregular way of settling may be the reason that no larger credits appear in the later months. In June, Mosely and his men were sent in company with Capt. Brattle and his troop to assist the people of Plymouth Colony, and were still there after July 22d; and they there took part in the capture of one hundred and fifty captives, and probably soon after returned to Boston. The faithful services of the friendly Indians in the later campaigns had caused a reaction of popular feeling towards them. The fame of Church, who succeeded in destroying Philip at Mount Hope, August 12th, somewhat eclipsed that of Capt. Mosely, and we hear no more of his military service thereafter, if he performed any. On August 24th, at a great sale of Indian captives, he is charged with "1 boy and girle 6œ; & 13 squawes & papooses 20œ"; and this is the last notice I find of him throwing light upon his subsequent career.

The date and circumstances of Capt. Mosely's death are not, as yet, definitely known. Savage says he died January, 1680. The "Inventory of the Estate of Captn Saml Mosely deceased," was taken Jan. 26, 1679 (N. S. 1680), and may have been Mr. Savage's authority. In Judge Sewall's Interleaved Almanac Diary, this item appears: "1677, Oct. 20, 7, Capt. S. Mosely." But we are left in doubt as to its meaning. His final account is found in Hull's 3d Ledger, under date of July, 1678, and credits him with military service, œ67 05 06, which I presume was in full for his whole service. Sometime after, September 1678, œ1 credit is given "per Isaac Addington," to balance Mosely's account with the government. He died intestate. The careful inventory, rendered by Sewall, of the worldly possessions as produced by Ann Mosely the widow, who was admitted administratrix January 30, 1679-80, makes no mention of any arms or clothing except an old musket and sword in the "Garret."

This circumstance, with some others, and a lack of any official reference to his death, would seem to indicate that it happened away from home.

Ann Mosely, thrown upon her own resources for maintenance, was granted a license by the town authorities, in 1681 and 1682, "To sell wine and stronge liquors out of dores." That she prospered is proved by the deed of trust to her brothers, Isaac Addington and Penn Townsend, 1684, in favor of her daughters, "her only living children," just before she married Nehemiah Pierce, "set-work-cooper." He died in 1691, leaving her again a widow.

The son Samuel died young, doubtless. The daughter Rebecca married January 22, 1694, James Townsend; and Mary married William Webster, November 25, 1696. Rebecca married again in 1708, Jonathan Williams, who in 1733 appears as the Narraganset claimant in the "right of his wife's Father Capt Maudesley."

Capt. Mosely's descendants were quite numerous in the second and third generation, through Rebecca's children by Townsend and Williams. Her daughter, Rebecca Williams, married Thaddeus Mason, and their daughter, Rebecca Mason, married, in 1767, William Harris, and their oldest son was Rev. Thaddeus Mason Harris, D.D., b. July 7, 1768; grad. H. C., 1787, who was for forty-three years the Pastor of the First Church in Dorchester, and died April 3, 1842.

HTML by Debbie

Special thanks to Fred for his wonderful graphics.

You are the 5097th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since April, 2001.

3419 Visitors before this counter was installed

[King Philip's War Index Index][NY][VT]