KING PHILIP'S WAR
Chapter 5, Part V
On May 5th Serg't Ephraim Savage was chosen to go up to relieve Capt. Graves with new supplies, and to send home those that were sick or greatly needed at home, and to take command of the garrison, thirty of the men at least to remain. Serg't Savage was excused from the service on account of sickness, and Thomas Walker, "the brickmaker," was chosen in his stead. It would seem, however, that his health improved, for he went with a lieutenant's commission and wages, and the credit below shows him to have served, and not Walker. Of the subsequent history of the garrison there is no definite account, but frequent references to it as a base of supplies, etc., show it to have been maintained for some time.
The following names are credited with military service at the garrison
at Brookfield and "Quabaug."
There is no reliable evidence that the town of Brookfield was resettled before 1686 or 7. Many families were there before 1693, and a garrison house had been built, when, on July 27th of that year, a band of twenty-six Canadian Indians attacked the town and killed and captured several of its inhabitants
HTML by Debbie
Special thanks to Fred for his wonderful graphics.
You are the 2402nd Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since April, 2001.
[King Philip's War Index Index][NY][VT]