Chapter 8, Part III 

In the Mass. Archives, vol. 68, p. 91, I find this fragment relative to Major Appleton's division:

The full complement of the Massachusetts is 527, 13 under the impressed men, so that if there should want 13 troopers and be but 62 troopers besides their officers there would be but 465 foote & if less than 62 troopers they must be suplyed with so many foote soldjers.

These seem to be fragments of memoranda, the latter list being on the back of the paper. This refers to the number in the six companies, and gives an excess of 99 over the estimated quota of 465 foot. I doubt that this excess includes Capt. Prentice's troopers as might at first appear, his company not being set down; but his lists and credits published hereinbefore give few if any of the names included in Appleton's, Mosely's or Johnson's lists, which were taken at Dedham, December 9th, and contain exactly the numbers above. It is probable that the excess consisted of volunteers, the regular quota being impressed men. In this expedition Capt. Mosely took Capt. Hubbard's place, and then his company was not made up wholly of volunteers.


Troopers:  Boston

15 foote









Major Appleton


Capt. Johnson


Capt. Olliver


Capt. Davenport


Capt. Gardiner


Capt. Mosely


Mr. Hubbard says that the force from the latter colony mustered there four hundred and sixty-five "fighting men besides a Troop of Horse" under Capt. Prentice. Gov. Josiah Winslow, of Plymouth, was commander-in-chief of the army in this expedition, and with this force marched to Woodcock's Garrison (Attleboro'), that day, thence to Seaconck, where they arrived on the night of the 11th, and on the 12th passed over Patuxet River, and by way of Providence arrived at Wickford, at Smith's Garrison, at night. After several days spent in scouting and skirmishing, as previously related, on the 18th they all marched out to Pettisquamscott and met the Connecticut forces, consisting of five companies, three hundred and twenty-five men, under Major Treat, and the whole army were forced to bivouac in the open air in a driving snow-storm during the night, Bull's Garrison-house at that place having been burned by the Indians but a few days before. At daybreak next morning they took up their march over the rough country through the deepening snow, each man carrying his own arms, rations, etc. In this march the Massachusetts division led; Plymouth held the centre and Connecticut the rear. This army, the largest and best organized that had ever been in the field in the American colonies, arrived about 1 o'clock, P.M., at the borders of the great swamp where the Indians had gathered in great numbers and had built a strong fortification and now awaited the attack. The full account of the battle must be completed in several chapters, wherein the names of those in the remaining companies of Major Appleton's division are given. The conduct of the Major and his men here, as elsewhere, was creditable. In May, 1676, the Court voted to repay the losses of divers persons who were "damnified" by the burning of Major Appleton's tent at Narraganset.

HTML by Debbie

Special thanks to Fred for his wonderful graphics.

You are the 4604th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since April, 2001.

3419 Visitors before this counter was installed

[King Philip's War Index Index][NY][VT]