- American Standard
- An American Standard type
locomotive. Drawing of Burnham, Parry,
- Williams Co., Philadelphia Pa., from Marvels of Science
- published 1880. Click
on the picture for a much larger version.
- The General (Western &
Atlantic Railroad) of Georgia - the famous
- locomotive that was stolen
by Union Army soldiers in April of 1862
- during the Civil War. The
General was built by Rogers, Ketchum
- & Grosvenor of Paterson, New Jersey. It is shown
here after its first
- post-Civil War rebuilding
when it was on exhibition at Union Depot
- in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- The General after its rebuild in 1962.
- The W. H. Winton (United
States Military Railroad) was built by
- Mason Machine Works of
Taunton, Massachusetts, and was
- delivered in 1862.
- [National Archives
- East Meets West: The Central
Pacific Railroad and Union Pacific
- Railroad meet on May 10,
1869, at Promontory Summit, Utah,
- completing the transcontinental
rail line. Here, the two locomotives -
- C.P.R.R.s Jupiter
(No. 60) and U.P.R.R.s No. 119 - fairly represented
- the Age of Steam.