Original website created by Bage Neimeyer
Welcome to Clay County. Clay County was created and organized in 1857 from Cooke County. It was disorganized in 1862 because of the lack of troops to protect from Indian raids. It was reorganized in 1873. Henrietta is the county seat. Clay County is bordered on the north by the Red River and the state Oklahoma, counties of Cotton and Jefferson. On the west by the counties of Wichita and Archer. On the south by Jack and on the east Montague. Clay County was home of the first Hereford herd brought to Texas by W. S. Ikard in 1876. The first commercial gas well in North Texas was located 13 miles NW of Henrietta in 1907.
Clay County Famous/Infamous Visitors
Shannon History and People Hiram Burch
Newport History and People Joe Welch
Cambridge History and People Jim Curtis
This page was last updated March 2001