McLennan County, Texas
August 1899

Transcribed by Bentley Hooks

Waco Times-Herald  Sunday August 6, 1899

 Mrs. Delia K. Bryan, mother of Lyman Bryan, died at Lake Charles, Louisiana, Thursday, after a protracted illness. Mrs. Bryan became ill at her home, 1111 Speight street, and was removed to Lake Charles in the hope of being benefited by the change. She did not improve, however, but steadily sank until death relieved her from further suffering.
  Lyman Bryan, who now lives in Dallas, passed through this city yesterday on his return from Lake Charles. Mrs. Bryan was well known and highly esteemed in Waco and many friends will be grieved to learn of her death.

Waco Times-Herald  Monday August 7, 1899

     Marlin, Tex., Aug. 6, - (Special.) - Cy Johnson, a negro, who lived at Hearne, was run over by a mixed train last night at 11 o'clock and both legs were cut off, one above the knee and the other near the ankle. He lingered until today and died.
     G. G. Jones, a well known citizen of this place, was the victim of an accident today, which came near costing him his life. In an attempt to move a shot gun from its position leaning against the wall the hammer caught on something and the gun was discharged severing the first three fingers of one of Mr. Jones' hands close up. The charge narrowly missed Mr. Jones' head.

Waco Times-Herald  Friday August 11, 1899

      Marlin, Tex., Aug. 8. -- Lala, the little 4-year-old daughter of  Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Powers, got hold of  some unknown poison yesterday and took it. It was soon found there was something wrong with the child and three doctors were called, but their services were of no avail, and she died this morning at 4 o'clock. The remains will be intered tomorrow at the city cemetery at 10 a.m.
     Hubbard City, Tex., Aug. 9. -  About 4 o'clock this morning  Mr. Josh Fuqua was aroused from his sleep by a groan by his wife and he called and tried to awaken her only to find that she was dead. Mrs. Fuqua worked all day yesterday discharging her household duties in her usual way and retired last night in apparent good health. The deceased leaves a husband and five small children, the youngest child being only three months old. Her untimely death throws a shadow of grief upon the entire community in which she lived as she was an estimable lady.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.