McLennan County, Texas
February 1904

Transcribed by Mary Kall Snell
Waco Times-Herald February 1, 1904


 Mrs. Louis Harvey, a very worthy colored woman died this morning on Bell's Hill. Her husband works at the Behrens Drug company and they are industrious, thrifty and well behaved members of their race, commanding the esteem of white and black. Mrs. Louis Harvey was a daughter of Jane Humphreys, one of the best known Waco nurses, who is known in scores of homes here.
The passing of such worthy members of the negro race is regrettable, for they are capable of doing much good service in the world.

Waco Times-Herald February 2, 1904

Hewitt, Feb. 1. The funeral service of  Sam Bell who met his untimely death Friday, was held at the Hewitt Baptist church Saturday at 1 p. m., conducted by Revs. B. J. Kendal and T. Y. Adams, and were impressive and listened to by a large congregation at the close of which the remains were carried to Robinson, followed by a long procession of sorrowing friends. It was there other friends of deceased had met to pay the last tribute of respect, and it was there Rev. Adams spoke the last solemn and tender words concerning the dead, and then, the remains were lowered and the last of Sam Bell was closed from the sight of his numerous friends.
On his grave were left a number of wreaths of beautiful flowers, noticeable among them being one on which a card was attached bearing the following inscription: "From Fourth Battery of Field Artillery." Thus giving evidence of the esteem of his friends and comrades.

Waco Times-Herald February 2, 1904


B. D. Owen died at the home of Dan T. McGaughey, North Twenty-second street, last night of pneumonia, after an illness of only a few days.
Mr. Owen was a member of the Waco bar, an honorable and useful citizen, a member of Austin Avenue Methodist church, a Mason, and the news of his death was received with surprise and
regret where it was known today. It was not generally known that he was ill until yesterday, when the notice appeared in The Times-Herald, and today comes the announcement of his death. The disease developed rapidly, showing most alarming symptoms from the first day.
The funeral will take place from Austin Avenue Methodist church tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 o'clock. The pall bearers are: Judge W. H. Jenkins, J. E. Yeager, Cullen F. Thomas, John G. Winter, J. E. Boynton and Judge Eugene Williams.


Isa, the little child of Mr. and  Mrs. Sam Owens (firm of Owens Bros.), died last night at 12:30 after an illness of several weeks, aged 5 years.
Little Isa was a lovely child and the pride of her parents. It will be with much regret that little Isa's death will become known to numerous friends of the family. All that patient, loving hands could do was done, but she passed to the angel world to rest from the cares of this. The funeral occurs from the residence, 920 Taylor street, this evening at 3 o'clock. Rev. S. A. Barnes officiating at Oakwood cemetery.

Waco Times-Herald Frbruary 3, 1904

 Rev. W. B. Roberts, colored, one of the best known colored preachers in the state was buried this morning from the St. James Methodist church, having died last Monday at Oakwoods, in
Robertson county. He was presiding elder of that district in the A. M. E. church and formerly resided in this city.
Elder Roberts was one of the members of the board of trustees of Paul Quinn College and has been connected with the institution for many years. He has worked arduously for its success and in his death the College has lost a very sincere friend. The funeral this morning was very largely attended and was conducted by Rev. T. C. Denham of the Temple district.


The funeral of  Ada Harvey, the wife of Lewis Harvey, a well known colored man took place at New Hope Baptist church yesterday afternoon. She was the daughter of Jane Humphries, one
of the early settlers of Waco who lives on Bell's Hill and was well known by the white people, many of whom attended the funeral yesterday afternoon.


 W. C. Fyffe of this city received the sad intelligence by wire this morning of the death of his father which occurred at an early hour this morning at the family residence in Springfield, Ill. Mr. Fyffe leaves at once for that place to attend the funeral. He spent Christmas with his father and his wife was there at the time of his death. Mr. Fyffe says that his father was seventy-one years of age and until a short time ago had been in excellent health. His friends in this city extend loving condolence to him in his bereavement.

Waco Times-Herald February 5, 1904


He Jumped Into Freezing Water and Tried to Swim.

Midway, Tex., Feb. 5.--Friday, January 29,  Linsey Anderson, a white convict who had recently been transferred from the Eastham farm to Whatley and Herrings to work as a blacksmith, ran from the guard and made his escape under the fire of the guard's gun. Dogs were put on trail and overtook him at the river, some two miles away. He refused to surrender and jumped into the freezing cold water and began swimming from the guard who tried by both  threats and persuasion to induce him to come ashore, but he would not, and soon sank and drowned. The body was recovered a few hours later and inquest held by Justice P. K. Goree and the body buried at the convict farm from where he escaped.

Waco Times-Herald February 8, 1904

McGregor, Tex., Feb 6.-- Mr. Ratjen, one of the prominent German farmers of the Goshen neighborhood, was buried this morning in the McGregor cemetery. He was 77 years old and had been in feeble health for quite a while. He leaves a wife and a number of grown children besides other relatives and friends to mourn his loss.


A telephone message from Upshur county today at noon brought the sad news of the death of  Harvey Elms, at his home in that county. Mr. Elms was a citizen of this section up to a few years
ago and has a large list of friends who will regret to hear of his death. He was here a few weeks ago to attend the burial of his brother, George, and was enjoying his usual health. Richard, Tom
and Frank Elms and Mrs. Chester Willite go to Upshur county this evening to attend the burial.


Guthrie, Ok., Feb 7.-- Professor J. F. Beauchamp died yesterday of heart disease at Tahlequah, I. T., where he was teaching in the government Indian school. He was president of the Oklahoma
Baptist college in Blackwell for two years. He came to Oklahoma from Liberty, Mo., where he was a teacher in the young ladies' seminary.


The memorial exercises in honor of the late  General John B. Gordon, at the First Baptist church yesterday morning constituted one of the most elaborate and interesting church functions that
have recently been held in the city. Dr. B. H. Carroll preached a special sermon at the urgent request of the Mary West chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, G. B. Gerald chapter and the Pat Cleburne camp, United Confederacy veterans. The ladies of the Mary West chapter had provided many beautiful flowers to ornament the pulpit stand, and these, together with their flag, gave a sacred, patriotic semblance to the service which they would not otherwise have produced.
Reserved seats were arranged for the old veterans and their families and these seats were all full. Previous to the opening of Dr. Carroll's discourse, Miss Leona Randal sang "I Bring Thee a
Broken Heart" and the simple faith and humility of spirit which that beautiful song embodies was easily visible during the exercises that followed.
Judge John C. West, on behalf of the camps under whose auspices the services were held, made some suggestive remarks on the significance of the occasion and its settings. He deemed it highly proper that the ladies had provided the flag and flowers for, said he, the ideas for which flags, flowers and women stand indissolubly connected. The flag is the emblem of patriotism, woman is God's last and best gift to man, and flowers are the instruments with which God beautifies the world.
Dr. B. H. Carroll, for twenty-five years the pastor of the church, recognized as one of the ablest men of the country, and himself a soldier, then began his discourse. He read the following text from the third chapter of Second Samuel, "And the king said unto his servants, Know ye not that there is a prince and great man fallen this day in Israel?" Dr. Carroll stated at the outset that he would make no exposition of the text, but had read it rather that he might use it as a motto for the day's exercises.
After reading the selection of scripture he read General Gordon's tribute to the women who remained at home, they might be able in this way to aid their sons and husbands who shouldered arms in the common cause. It was a splendid and deserved tribute, affording at once an insight into the inner life of the great man, and it was for this purpose that Dr. Carroll read it at this juncture.
He discussed the career of General Gordon from the standpoint of a soldier veteran after the war closed, and as a citizen, but laying more emphasis upon the solid worth of his impregnable character.
Beginning his career as a soldier the speaker showed the remarkable coincidence of how when the future military chieftain first began his career, he had his home in Alabama, his interests in
Georgia and his post office in Tennessee, and how his wife forsook her home and followed him in all of his campaigns. His career began as captain of a small company of mountain troops, and the close of the war found this youthful captain the lieutenant general of the confederate army. Referring to General Gordon's "Reminiscences of the Civil War." Dr. Carroll said that his first
impression of the book was that the author could make history, but could not write it. This impression changed as he read further into the volume and he came to find the volume of supreme importance from the fact that its spirit is entirely void of all partiality; because it
portrays the heroism and sacrifices of the private soldier and the women at home; it puts vividly before the mind the confederacy as it first stood upon its feet; it brings out certain features of the border war; it contributes much essential information on many of the greatest battles, and gives a comprehensive and fair history of the later days. He said that the 350,000 soldiers which the confederacy first sent out had never been equaled in the world's history, but when they were subdued by numbers, General Gordon did not worry himself nor brood over his defeat, nor enter such business or politics that would separate himself in the least from the men whom he had commanded. He was ready to cast flowers upon the graves of his fallen enemies and to grasp the hand of those who survived, and then having laid down his sword at Appomattox, he accepted the consequences and adjusted himself to the situation.
Passing from this peculiar phase of the career of General Gordon, Dr. Carroll declared him to be a civic hero, greater in peace than in war. As United States senator from Georgia and then as governor of the same state, he made a matchless officer, and preserved throughout each administration the love of friends and the respect of enemies.
As a high-minded religious man, the hero of the confederacy was no less distinguished in the ranks of Christian activity than in those of his country. Springing from strong religious families, he was the son and grandson of them as governor of the same state, he was himself a Presbyterian, and one of the surest characters of history, and this earnest Christian disposition was not left at home when he left for the battlefield, and during all operations of the army General Gordon's Christian conduct and Christian influence were powerfully felt. No other such records of interest in the spiritual welfare of his men have been manifested in all the annals of history as are recorded of him.
Thus the beautiful light of this eminent career will shine down the avenues of time to glorify the history of our great confederacy, and to serve as a guide for aspiring feet throughout the years that are to be. The entire address was a most beautiful exposition of the life and character of the great confederate general and was given the closest attention throughout.

Waco Times-Herald February 9, 1904


 James R. Robinson, aged 49 years, died at 12 o'clock today after an illness of two or three weeks. He is known to many residents of Waco and was the son of John Robinson, founder of
the flourishing town of Robinson, seven miles south of Waco. He belonged to an excellent family and was a man of kind, considerate nature, disposed always to be just and true to his friends and in fact to all persons. There will be many who will speak a kind word for Jim Robinson and express regret that he is no more. Joel Robinson of Llano, a brother, is here, having come a short time ago owing to the fact that he heard of his brother's serious illness. Another brother, Richard, lives in Virginia, but it is not thought that he will be able to attend the funeral.

Waco Times-Herald February 15, 1904


 Mrs. George W. Todd died at the Curtis house last night at 8 o'clock after a brief illness which began last Thursday. This announcement will be read with sadness by the many friends in the
city and other points, as few of them knew that she was ill. Mr. Todd, who is a popular traveling man, was on the road when his wife was taken ill and in the western part of the state. He was wired as soon as his wife's condition showed symptoms of seriousness and hastened home with all possible speed, arriving here Saturday night. He had only a day to remain with her and last night at 8 o'clock she passed away.
The deceased was 26 years of age and was married to Mr. Todd in St. Louis six years ago. Her maiden name was Katheirne Star.
Four years ago they came to Waco and have made their home at the Curtis house since that time. Mr. Todd has been on the road since their residence in the city and is well known over the state.
Mrs. Todd has been active in social circles and had many admirers.
She possessed a winsome way, a cheery disposition and a most womanly character that made friends for her of all whom she met.
It will be hard for her friends who had seen her only a few days ago on the streets to realize now that she has passed to the beyond and her untimely death has cast a gloom over the home where she has so long been a favorite, and all join in extending the heart-broken husband most tender and loving sympathy. Besides the husband, the deceased leaves a bright little girl, Charlie, three years of age, to mourn her sad death. The remains will be shipped to St. Louis in
the morning where the interment will take place.


 Mrs. Mary Anne Sparks, aged 77 years, died yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock at her home, No. 820 South Eleventh street, after an illness of some time. The funeral took place this morning at 10 o'clock, interment at First Street Cemetery. She leaves a husband, but no children, and has been a resident of Waco for many years.

Waco Times-Herald February 17, 1904


The remains of  Mrs. Willie T. Manahan reached Waco from Pecos City at 11:40 last night and were taken to the undertaking establishment of Fall & Puckett.
The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the Fifth Street Methodist church, interment at Oakwood cemetery.
Great interest has been shown by old friends, anxious to pay their last respects to one who was formerly a popular and beloved member of Waco society. The announcement in yesterday
afternoon's paper created profound sorrow, as while it has been known that Mrs. Manahan was in poor health, yet it was not thought that the end was so near.
Mrs. Manahan was a daughter of Jackson Thomason, who was one of the early settlers of Waco, and also a prime mover in the establishment of the old Waco cotton mills, about the time of the
civil war, an institution which was little short of gigantic for those days. The buildings are still standing in East Waco--great piles of brick and mortar, strong and enduring, rather sightly and suggesting the splendid spirit of enterprise which planned so gigantic a task in times when people were few in this section of Texas, railroad facilities almost unknown, and skilled cotton workers hard to get here. The machinery for this mill was bought in England, brought by ship around through the Pacific ocean, landed in Mexico, and transported across that country on ox wagons, the trip requiring many months. The teamsters were followed by bandits, often famished for water, and surrounded by dangers the whole way.
The history of this venture would almost fill a volume, and after undergoing many vicissitudes the plant ceased operations, the machinery being now out of date, most of it. In the undertaking were Mr. Thomason, Mr. Earl, Colonel Burney and General Thomas Harrison.
Mrs. Manahan lived many years in Waco and was a bright and interesting woman. She removed to Pecos some time ago and has been residing there since. She graduated at the old Waco Female college with Mrs. John F. Marshall and other ladies who are well known in Texas and elsewhere.
Mrs. Jno. F. Marshall was asked this morning by a representative of the Times-Herald for the members of the graduating class at the old Waco Female College in chich Mrs. Manahan completed her education. Mrs. Marshall stated that the class was composed of Mrs. Manahan, or Miss Thompson; Mrs. John D. Johnson, Mrs. Annie Ross-Fitzwilliams, Mrs. Jno. F. Marshall and Miss Lou Malone. Mrs. Manahan was one of the bridesmaids of Mrs. Lawrence Sullivan Ross, and a great friend of the family.


Gatesville, Tex., Feb. 10.-- Rev. P. B. Chandler died at his home near this place Monday evening. He came to Texas as a
missionary in 1846 and has ever since been actively engaged in the work of the ministry, preaching to a large congregation here a few days previous to his eighty-eighth birthday, which occurred January 27. In the memories of Z. N. Morrell, a pioneer preacher of Texas, is the following concerning the beginning of his work in Texas: "No ship that ever plowed the waves between New Orleans and Galveston ever brought a more valuable cargo for Texas than the one that landed Elders J. W. D. Creath, P. B. Chandler, Henry L. Graves and Newt Hill. Elder Graves was under a call of the Board of Trustees of Baylor University, the others under appointment of the Southern Baptist Convention as missionaries."
Bro. Chandler, in association with R. E. B. Baylor, Dr. Rufus Burleson and others organized the first Baptist Convention of Texas in 1848. In his death the last survivor of that period passed away. His influence in the making of Texas history will be lasting and far reaching.

Waco Times-Herald February 18, 1904



 Ethel Thompson, a young woman, was killed almost instantly last night in an accident in front of the passenger station of the Texas Central depot in East Waco through a horse which she was riding getting in front of a team of the hose wagon of the East Waco fire department.
As it was rather dark at the point where the accident occurred, and as it all happened so quick it was difficult to get at the exact facts in the case, but some of those who saw it say that the Thompson woman and a companion, Lottie Watters, had stopped at the point indicated for some reason. They were standing on horseback at this place when an alarm of fire was turned in from Box 14 and the hose cart of the department came along. It is thought that the horses ridden by the women became frightened at the clangor and noise and they began backing. The horse ridden by Ethel Thompson, it is claimed, backed right in front of the hose cart team and was run into, then dragged along with the hose cart team a short distance.
The woman fell from the horse and was also dragged along, and some think that she broke her neck in falling, others that she was struck by a horse's hoof or the tongue of the cart. At any rate a hole was knocked in her head, over the right ear from which the brain protruded, and death occurred almost immediately. The hose wagon, which was driven by T. V. Meers, who was substitute for the regular driver, E. H. Jones, checked the horses as soon as possible, and the woman was carried to the depot of the Texas Central, while a physician was summoned at once. It was too late,
however, death following inside of two or three minutes after the concussion.
The remains were taken to the undertaking parlor of John C. Lees, and the funeral will take place from there at 4 o'clock this afternoon. The people of the girl who reside in the Indian Territory were telegraphed at once. At this writing they have not been heard from, however.
Chief A. M. Prescott asked that an inquest be held in the case in order to fix responsibility for the accident and to find out if carelessness had been shown, or if no fault attached to the driver of the hose wagon that this fact also be brought out. The entire department feel deep regret that the accident occurred, but think that it could not well be avoided under the circumstances. Justice Moore viewed the remains and is taking testimony in the case and may be able to make up a verdict when this shall have been concluded. The hose wagon in front of which the poor woman fell
to her death will attend the funeral as a mark of regret of the fire boys over the accident.


 W. M. Walker, a printer, died at the city hospital at 8:39 this morning from typhoid pneumonia. Walker, who came to Waco early in February, had a card from the McAllister (I. T.) Typographical Union No. 565, and was a well man when he came to Waco, though he was taken sick soon after that. He grew worse and worse, dying this morning. He was about 28 years of age, and impressed those with whom he came to contact here as a nice and pleasant young man. He was from some place in Georgia, though he was too ill to make this exact place known. A telegram has been sent to McAllister by the Waco Typographical Union and a reply may disclose Walker's home.
Unless instructions to the contrary are received, Waler will be buried by the Typographical union here on the lot at Oakwood. The Waco members of the union gave him all possible attention during his illness and he was also looked after carefully at the hospital.

Waco Times-Herald Friday, February 19, 1904


At 3:30 yesterday afternoon,  W. T. Pharr died at the home of his brother, No. 820 South Fourth street. He was 54 years of age. The funeral will take place from the residence at 2:30 today, interment at Oakwood. Mr. Pharr came here about two weeks ago for treatment, as he was suffering from Bright's disease. There was no hope for him, however, and he succumbed yesterday. He has been living in Duffau.


 J. F. Alexander, aged 34 years, died yesterday in East Waco at the residence of J. S. Harrison. The funeral will take place at 3:30 this afternoon, interment at Oakwood cemetery, Rev. H. H. Muirhead officiating. The services will first be held at the residence of Mr. Harrison, No. 324 McKeen street. Alexander has been living in Waco eight or ten years, but was formerly from Georgia. His parents still live in that place. Interment will take place at Oakwood.


 W. M. Walker, the printer who died at the city hospital yesterday morning was not buried here as had been intended, as a brother came after him from near Covington, (county name unclear). It was not known that he had relatives in Texas, as he was too ill to tell anything about himself while at the hospital, but his brother was notified and came after him. Walker's parents also reside near Covington, though they formerly lived in Georgia and Walker ran two or three newspapers in that state. He was also a lawyer and is said to have been a very bright young man. The remains went to Covington this morning and interment will take place today.


 A. E. Gehring of the Western Union Telegraph company received the sad intelligence yesterday afternoon of the death of his father which occurred in Independence, Kansas. He left at once for that place to attend the funeral. Mr. Gehring's friends in this city tender him sincere sympathy in his sorrow.

Waco Times-Herald February 21, 1904


Word reached here last night that  William B. B. Higgins had died at Pittsburg, Texas, yesterday, February 20, as the result of an accident received while out hunting on February 5. Mr. Higgins was engaged in the cotton business in Waco for six or eight years prior to last season, when he moved to Pittsburg. The deceased had many friends in Waco, who will learn of his demise with much regret. Mr. Higgins' father resides in Liverpool, England, and has been notified of his son's death by cable. Until he is heard from it is not known when or where the funeral will take place, but it will very likely be in Waco.


 L. C. Rigby of this city received a telegram yesterday afternoon from A. Findlay, announcing the death of his wife which had just occurred at their old home in Abingdon, Va. Mr. and Mrs. Findlay resided on North Fourth street until several months ago, each of them holding positions as music teachers at Texas Christian university. They came to Waco last summer to take charge of the music department of this institution and made friends from the first.
It was not long, however, until Mrs. Findlay's health began to fail and in a few months after arriving here she was compelled to tender her resignation, as it was evident that the dreaded disease consumption had already taken hold upon her.
They remained here for a few weeks after the resignation and then went north, to Mrs. Findlay's old home, where they have remained since. The death of Mrs. Findlay will bring much sorrow to the many friends that she made and especially at Texas Christian university. She had a very amiable disposition and made friends of all whom she met.

Waco Times-Herald February 23, 1904


Miss Lella E. Cornforth died yesterday afternoon at 3:15 o'clock, in Beaumont, after an illness of five weeks, aged 28 years. The remains will reach Waco at 5:15 this afternoon over the Houston and Texas Central railway and funeral services will be held tomorrow, Wednesday morning, at 10 o'clock, from the residence of F. R. Cornforth, a brother, No. 1000 South Fourth street. Rev. Caldwell, pastor of First Presbyterian church, and Rev. C. W. Peyton of Temple will officiate.
The remains will be accompanied by Mr. F. R. Cornforth and the mother of Miss Cornforth, both of whom have been in Beaumont for several weeks doing all they could to stay the progress of disease and make as comfortable as possible the condition of the loved one. Miss Cornforth was teaching in the public schools of Beaumont and was attacked first by measles, then penumonia and subsequently by typhoid fever, the combined attack being too much for the system to combat. Her home was in Iowa Park near Wichita Falls, and she was an exceptionally bright young woman whose
useful life and devoted Christian experience have been the subject of remark among all who knew her. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and her life has been an exemplification of the claims of the gospel and a beneficence to all with whom she has come in contact.

Waco Times-Herald February 24, 1904


 Dr. J. H. Boyett this morning received the sad news of the death of a brother, Everett R. Boyett, which occurred in Olustee, Oklahoma Territory, yesterday. The news came in a telegram this morning. E. R. Boyett went from Quanah, Texas, to Oklahoma about six months ago, and has since been there. He was a very strong and healthy young man and the news of his death was naturally a shock. He was only 36 years of age and had had but little sickness in his entire life. Dr. Boyett now has only two living brothers. He will not go to Oklahoma, but will wire instructions as to the funeral.

Waco Times-Herald February 27, 1904


News reached Waco yesterday afternoon of the death in Weatherford, Parker county, Texas, of  Judge J. L. L. McCall, a pioneer of Texas and an early resident of Waco, a man esteemed generally and whose life has been an unusually active and useful one. Mrs. E. Rotan of Waco, a daughter, received notification of the fact that her father had died, the presumption being that the end came somewhat unexpectedly, and went at once to Weatherford.
Old age doubtless had much to do with inducing death, as Judge McCall was a very aged man.
Judge McCall came to Waco before the civil war and did not leave here until some time in the 70's. He was formerly a law partner of Fabius Sleeper, the firm being Norris, McCall & Sleeper.
He was present at Gatesville when the first term of district court was held. After going to Weatherford, he was elected county judge of Parker county. He will be recalled by all the older settlers of Waco, and they will regret to hear the news of his death. Judge McCall was a man of great push and energy and left his impress upon the state which he loved so well. Judge McCall's wife has been dead a number of years, but several children survive him, the name of these children not being obtainable at this writing.


 Miss Sue Dollings, aged 47 years, sister of City Marshal John Dollins, died at 1 o'clock this afternoon, having been ill some time.
While the news of her death was expected, yet it came as a sad message to many hearts, as this good woman was known and loved by all with thom she has been associated. She has been gradually growing worse, for some time, and though she appeared to rally occasionally, still it could be seen that death must result.
The funeral will take place from the residence of City Marshal Dollins, No. 1108 North Sixteenth street, at 3 o'clock tomorrow, Sunday, afternoon. Interment at Oakwood cemetery. The hour of the funeral, however, is subject to change, and if it should be decided to hold the funeral at a different time, this fact can be announced in Sunday's Times-Herald.

Waco Times-Herald February 28, 1904


 Mr. Hugh Clements, age 54 years, died at the residence, 422 Moore street after a lingering illness at 5 p. m. yesterday. Mr. Clements was a kind and generous man, and well known here.
Services will be conducted by the Rev. L. J. Mimms, at the Concord church. Interment at Concord cemetery today, Sunday, at 2 p. m.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.