McLennan County, Texas
February 1907

FEBRUARY 4, 1907


San Antonio, Tex., Feb. 3--- David Roman of Waco died at the residence of his brother-in-law, L.L. Marks, of this city, at 10 o'clock last night.
Mr. Roman was formerly a resident of San Antonio, having been engaged in the exporting business here several years ago. The body will be shipped to Montgomery, Ala., today, accompanied by the wife. The funeral will take place in that city.
A short service will be held this evening at 8 o'clock at the residence of L.L. Marks, 417 Camden street. Rabbi Samuel Marks will officiate.


Dave Roman, the well known Waco cotton buyer, died in the Sanitarium in San Antonio, at a late hour Saturday night. His death was not unexpected, and news received from his bedside Saturday afternoon was discouraging. His death is deeply mourned in Waco as he had made his home in this city for ten or fifteen years, and there was no more popular resident of Waco.
The remains were shipped from San Antonio yesterday to his old home in Montgomery, Alabama, where they will be interred tomorrow. They were accompanied by his devoted wife and her brother.
The deceased was born in Heidingsfield, Vavaria, fifty-one years ago, and came to this country about twenty-five years ago. He was married to Miss Marks in Montgomery, Alabama twenty years ago, and she has been his constant companion since that time.
Only a year ago, Mr. and Mrs. Roman visited their former home in Bavaria, and made a tour of Europe while there. They returned to Waco and it was not long after that until Mr. Roman was taken ill. The latter part of November he went to San Antonio and entered the Sanitarium there and never recovered. His last illness was accompanied by much suffering, but in all of it his devoted wife was constantly at his side and everything known to medical skill was invoked but all to no purpose.
Mr. Roman was a man of whom it could be said he had few enemies, if any. He had the happy faculty of making friends and his cheerful disposition, his happy and considerate manner, and the many other manly traits possessed by him, made him universally admired. He had been in the cotton business most of the time he resided in Waco and was quite successful. At the time of his death he was a member of the firm of C.L. Sanger and company and his standing in the cotton markets was A1.
Mr. Roman was a Knight of Pythias and a member of Cowan Lodge No. 77. He was also a member of Waco Lodge No. 166. B.P.O.E., a Mason, and at the time of his death, was president of the local order of the B'naia B'rith. He was also vice president of local congregation Rodef Sholem, and took a deep interest in all of these orders. His enterprise, faithfulness and zeal
in public affairs had always characterized him and no man in the city had more true and loyal friends.
All will join in extending the bereft wife loving condolence in her great sorrow.
Memorial services will be held by the I.O.B.B. Thursday night and it is expected the meeting will be largely attended.

FEBRUARY 5, 1907


The news of the death of Dr. D. H. Williams of Gainesville, Alabama, reached the city last night. Dr. Williams was the father of Judge Eugene Williams, of this city, and the numerous friends of the judge will regret to learn of his sorrow, and will extend tender sympathy.
Judge Williams received a message only a few days ago of the serious illness of his father and left at once for his bedside. Upon reaching his old home he found his father improved, and it was believed he would recover.
Having pressing business at home Judge Williams started upon his return, thinking his father was entirely out of danger. He had proceeded to some place in Mississippi when he was intercepted with a telegram bearing the sad news of his father's death. He immediately returned and is now at his old home and will attend the funeral and perhaps remain there for a few days.
Dr. Williams was one of the prominent men of Alabama and while he had reached the age when his death might have been expected at any time, the knowledge of it is a great sorrow to Judge Williams and other members of the family, as well as others who knew him.

FEBRUARY 6, 1907


 John Spillar, the infant son of Rev. H.A. Wells, manager of the industrial department of Paul Quinn college, died in east Waco this morning.
The funeral will take place from the residence, No. 904 Taylor street at 10 o'clock in the morning.

FEBRUARY 7, 1907


After weeks of suffering, as the result of injuries received while trying to put out a fire which had started on the railroad tracks, little Alta Cameron, 9 years old, this morning passed away at the home of her mother, Mrs. Cooper of No. 25 Lelia street, Edgefield.
The child had suffered intensely and the fact became evident some time ago that she could not recover, as the burns were so terrible. Mr. J.D. Thomas had his hands very badly burned in trying to put out the flames at the time, while the two daughters of E.C. Overby were also burned about the hands.
The funeral took place at 11 o'clock this morning from the residence interment following at Speegleville. Rev. Jeff D. Ray conducted the services.

FEBRUARY 09, 1907

 John Tennant, aged 70 years, died at 5:55 o'clock yesterday evening at his residence about Thirty-Fourth and Franklin streets, after an illness extending over some eight weeks, during which time the patient suffered from a complication of troubles involving his heart, lungs, and circulation. He did not have the vitality to withstand these inroads, and finally succumbed after having made a good struggle for life.
He leaves a wife and several children. The children of the first union are R.I. Tennant of Temple, F.J. and F.E. Tennant of Dallas, and Mrs. W. H. Hahn of San Bernardino, California, and of the last marriage, Mrs. John Tennant and Miss Violet. Mr. Tennant was a very active man until a few years ago and many of the material improvements of this city are traceable to him. He had the first contract for the construction of the Provident building, put up the Tom Padgitt building and many others. He also did some of the bridge contracting for the Texas Central Railroad, and has been connected with large works of this character. He was a man who handled matters systematically, and was usually very successful in his plans. He has lived in Waco for a quarter of a century or more, and has always made a good citizen, attaching to him many good and true friends, all of whom will be grieved that he is no more.
The funeral will take place from the residence at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon, interment in Oakwood cemetery, Rev. C.T. Caldwell officiating.

FEBRUARY 10, 1907


The funeral of John Tennant whose death occurred Friday afternoon, will take place from the family residence, at the end of Austin street, this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock. The following are the pall-bearers: W.D. Lacy, J.B. Cornish, Dr. W. R. Clifton, W.W. Seley. R. A. Hanrick, E.C. Harris.
Interment at Oakwood cemetery.

FEBRUARY 11, 1907

The funeral of Mr. John Tennant took place yesterday and was largely attended many friends of the good man paying their last respects to his remains.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. T. Caldwell of the First Presbyterian church, and the remains were buried at Oakwood cemetery.

Mr. A. D. Volson died in this city Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, and the remains were shipped to Houston and interred at 10 a.m. yesterday. Mr. Volson was 77 years old, and was the father of Mrs. T.C. Negroponte of this city.

FEBRUARY 11, 1907

 Miss Ella Faes, aged 37 years, died at 7:30 o'clock yesterday morning from typhoid fever.
The remains were shipped last night to Faxina, Ill., the old home of deceased. Miss Faes has been living in Hillsboro and contracted her last illness there, but was brought her for treatment.

FEBRUARY 12, 1907

A terrible accident happened on Columbus street yesterday morning, when little Mildred age 5 years, the bright and happy child of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wheeler, walked backwards into a tub of boiling water, sustaining injuries which resulted in death at 4 o'clock.
The little one suffered a great deal, and it was evident from the first that the injuries were of the most serious character. All that medical skill could do was done, but the end was inevitable, and the dark shadow of death crossed the threshold of the home just as the shadows of evening began to lengthen and the rays of the sun were losing some of their intense brilliance. It was a sad and tragic ending of a day commenced in childish glee and buoyancy, but such are the vicissitudes of life and the little feet are now safe from many thorns and rough places which would have certainly rent them as they do us all. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler will have the tender sympathy of hundreds of friends in this city, and their grief will rend the hearts of others.
The funeral will take place at 3 o'clock this afternoon, interment at Oakwood cemetery, Rev. C.T. Caldwell officiating.
Following is a list of pall-bearers: J.H. Lockwood, D.W. McQuirty, Lud Williams, John Fall.


Marlin, Tex., Feb. 12--- At Otto, north of Marlin, a 12-year old boy used a shotgun with fatal effect on a Mexican the other evening. The boy, Culberson Bradshaw, son of Lee Bradshaw, was at home with his mother and smaller children when the Mexican attempted to enter the house, disregarding orders from the lady to leave the premises. The boy then came to his mothers assistance in the manner stated. The shot took effect in the Mexican's face and head and his neck was broken. The boy has been placed under nominal bond. The husband and father was absent from home. The Mexicans name was Juan Gussman.

FEBRUARY 14, 1907

Lorena, Tex, Feb. 14-- Two little boys, sons of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. McAdams, went into their hay barn to play yesterday. In a few minutes the older one, aged 6, ran out, and in an instant the whole beam was in flames and the younger boy, aged 4, was burned to death.
An adjoining barn, belonging to H.J. Hudson, caught fire and burned. By the united efforts of the citizens the flames were quenched.

FEBRUARY 15, 1907

A shocking accident happened about 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon at Eighth and Jackson streets, at which time little Johnnie Kemendo, aged seven years, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chris Kemendo of 512 South Third street lost his life.
According to the best information obtainable the boy started to crawl under a freight train which had stopped at that point, and was caught by the trucks on the back and shoulder being almost decapitated and cruelly mangled. The accident was witnessed by some ladies whose cries first drew the attention of the train crew to what had happened.
According to the story told by Conductor, J.D. Hadley of the freight train, he had come in from the north with his train and had taken the siding to allow the north bound passenger train to have the right of way. The freight train had been cut to allow the people to get through at the streets, and a section of the train which was coupled to the engine was moving when Conductor Hadley heard some ladies screaming, and looking saw the body of the boy being dragged in the trucks. He immediately gave the signal and had the air brakes applied, but it was too late, the boy having been killed almost immediately by the wheels. It is supposed that he wanted to get on home and started to crawl under the train while it was standing, but that it moved up after he got under it, catching and killing him.
The remains of the poor little fellow were placed on the platform and messages sent to his home and to Justice Tom Dillworth. Justice Dillworth viewed the remains and made some inquiry in the case, setting the hearing in the inquest for next Tuesday at which time the Conductor Hadley and members of the crew of the freight train will come to Waco and tell what they know about the case.
A peculiarly distressing feature of the matter was that the father of the boy was out on the road, as he is a traveling man, while Mrs. Kemendo, the mother, was ill, there being a young baby in the home. The sad news was broken as gently as possible, but it was too terrible to be robbed of much of its horror. Expressions of sympathy have been heard all over the city for the family.
Interment took place at 10 o'clock this morning from the residence on South Tenth street.

FEBRUARY 18, 1907

 Mattie McGlasson, aged 11 years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. McGlasson, died this morning at 11:30 o'clock at the residence, 1407 South Eighth street.
The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 from the residence on South Eighth street, Rev. Jeff D. Ray, officiating, interment at Oakwood cemetery. The family will have the sympathy of many friends in their affliction.

FEBRUARY 19, 1907

A message has just been received from Oscar Jannasch, formerly of this city, but who now makes his headquarters at Temple, gives the information of his fathers death in Dallas. Mr. Jannasch's many friends in this city will be sorry to learn of this and extend to him their sincere condolence.

FEBRUARY 22, 1907

Addie Hill, a well known and worthy negro woman, died this morning at 7:30 o'clock at 608 North Eighth street.
The funeral will take place tomorrow at 3 o'clock from the New Hope Baptist Church. The burial will take place at First street cemetery.

FEBRUARY 23, 1907

 Mrs. Defay A. Harris, widow of H.C. Harris, died at her home near Rosenthal at 2:30 this morning, after a short illness, aged 55 years.
She has lived in this vicinity all her life and her many friends will be grieved to learn of her death. The funeral will take place from the residence tomorrow at 2:30 o'clock, interment at the Rosenthal cemetery.

FEBRUARY 25, 1907

Dr. J. M. Willis, the last member but one of a large and useful family, passed peacefully away at Temple last night, aged 85 years and several weeks.
He settled in Waco in 1865 and has been a resident almost ever since, thought a part of his time for the past few years has been spent with his son, William Willis at Temple. When in Waco, he stopped with Mrs. M.B. Willis, widow of his son, Dr. Joe Willis, with the family of John H. Rivere and other relatives, and was well known and esteemed by all the older residents of Waco, and many of those who have not been here so long. He was a member of Fifth street Methodist church for many years, and in fact until he began spending most of his time in Temple, when his membership was transferred to that place for convenience. He was a man who fully met all the duties and obligations of life, and was a stalwart figure in battling for the things which he considered right. Few men have been more useful, and naturally the passing of such a man saddens many hearts. Dr. Willis contributed in no small degree to the upbuilding of Waco in all those things which make for permanent good, and those who know of his work here appreciate it most heartily. Long will the memory of this good and true man linger in the memory of the people here.
He has one sister living and she is the only surviving member of the family. This is Mrs. Nettie Walker of Mansfield, La. Beside his son, William of Temple, Dr. Willis leaves another son, John Willis, of Alabama.
He was born in Jones county, Georgia, December 11, 1822, moved to Barnesville, Georgia, when a child. He was a graduate in medicine of the University of New York. From Georgia he moved to Cass county, Texas, in 1857. He represented that district in the Thirteenth Texas legislature. He was a surgeon in the Confederate Army.
He moved to Waco, Texas in 1865, Practiced medicine fifty years, was fifty years an Odd Fellow; fifty years a Mason; seventy years a member of the Methodist church. For many years he was a steward of the Fifth street Methodist church, Waco, Texas and was a trustee of the Waco Female College.
His remains will reach Waco today on the 4:30 p.m. M.K. and T. railroad from Temple and will be buried at Oakwood cemetery, this afternoon.
His daughter-in-law, Mrs. M.B. Willis, and his grandson, Joe S. Willis, were called to his bedside. Lagrippe and old age took him away. His bodily machine had worn out. He suffered no pain and went into death as a gentle sleep and expressed his willingness to meet his God.

FEBRUARY 26, 1907

The funeral of Dr. J.M. Willis was held yesterday afternoon from the 4:30 train of the M.K. and T. railroad, and several persons came up from Temple in addition to the relatives who came as follows: Mr. and Mrs. Flay Downs, Pink Downs, Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Hutcheson, Mr. Jarrell, Mrs. Booker.
The services were conducted at Oakwood cemetery by Rev. C. R. Wright, who was pastor of Dr. Willis at Temple and who is now pastor of Austin Avenue Methodist church here assisted by Rev. W.H. Matthews, pastor of Fifth Street Methodist church. The services while brief were impressive and the floral offerings were beautiful and profuse.
Following were the pall bearers: W.S. Heard, L.B. Black, W.L. Tucker, Prof. J.M. Ferguson, and William Lambdin.

FEBRUARY 27, 1907

Charles Burke, who had been the bar tender for Joe Sheppard on South Fifth street near the cemetery, last night about 7 o'clock shot and killed Alvin Powell, a negro.
Powell only received one wound, that being in the back. The ball went clear through and pushed up the skin near the left nipple of the negro. The wound proved fatal almost at once and after being shot, Powell fell and expired in a few moments.
After ascertaining that Powell was dead Burke came to the city and gave himself up to the officers and was placed in jail. No examining trial has been held thus far or evidence occurred in the case.
Officers state that they could get but little information about the matter and how the trouble originated. Burke fired only one shot, but that one proved fatal.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.