McLennan County, Texas
January 1907

JANUARY 04, 1907


The funeral of  Mr. and Mrs. Ingram, an account of whose tragedic death appeared in the last issue of this paper took place on Saturday, Dec. 22, 1906, the Masonic fraternity of which Mr. Ingram was a member. The religious ceremony was conducted by Rev. J. H. Braswell. There was quite a large attendance from Victoria, Mart and the surrounding county.

[note: the previous issue referred to was destroyed by fire and is not available]


The near relatives wish to express their gratitude's and appreciation to the people who were so kind and helpful during the afflictions of the deceased Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Ingram.

On Thursday, December 27, 1906, the 15-month old baby of  J. R. Graves and wife died after a short illness of tonsillitis. Interment in Mart Cemetery.
Mr. and Mrs. Graves have the sympathy of all in this sad bereavement.

JANUARY 11, 1907

 John Milton Kirkpatrick, aged 63, was found dead in bed at his home near Perry, Falls county, Saturday morning. He retired the nigh previous a well man, apparently. A physician was summoned to ascertain the cause of his death who pronounced it from natural causes, probably heart trouble.
Deceased leaves a wife and five sons. The remains were interred in Marlin cemetery Sunday.

 W. G. Allen, aged 63, died at his home near McClanahan Sunday afternoon at 2:30, and the remains were interred there Monday. Deceased had been in bad health for some time.

JANUARY 25, 1907


There has been quite a stir this week in Mart among a certain element of the negro population. There has been a number of arrests for vagrancy, fights, etc., but Monday night the atmosphere down on Smokey Row assumed a more lurid aspect, when the monster, Green Eyed Jealousy held the fort and terminated affairs into a bloody battle, not of the emotional kind, but "of the knife with the knife to the hilt." The participants in this gory struggle were one dusky dame, Mattie Dennis, who had been on the war path for days and had spent the past several in the city lock up. Her victim was one "Fessor Foard" who was a city dude from the suburbs of Waco and had come with the stipulated price to free his "lady love." After the Fessor had paid the fee he took a likin' to anot'er woman which bestired the indignation of the aforesaid Mattie who slashed her victim across the jugular with her John Barlow thus ending his earthly existence. Judge Davis held inquest and returned his verdict in accordance with the above facts.
The negro woman was carried to Waco Tuesday.

FEBRUARY 01, 1907

 Phil, the little two-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Moore. died Saturday morning at 7:30 o'clock after an illness of only one day with membranous croup. At the time of the little fellow's death, Mr. Moore was away, and notwithstanding the great efforts of friends he was not located till Sunday when he was found by Mr. Matthews at Jacksonville, Texas. Mr. Moore left Jacksonville immediately for home, but owing to a wreck he failed to reach home Monday evening. The remains were held in state till Tuesday, when they were interred at 10 a.m. in Mart Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Moore have the sincere sympathy of the people of Mart in this sad hour.

 Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Nash received a telegram Monday morning announcing the death of Mrs. Nash's brother, Sam Davis, who died in Pueblo, Colo., where he has been for some time for his health. He was a sufferer of Bright's disease and traveled a great deal hunting a remedy, going one time to Europe but to no avail. Sam Davis was a Falls county boy and was in business at Rosebud for quite awhile. His remains were brought from Colorada to Moorevilee, Falls County where he was reared for interment. Mr. and Mrs. Nash left on the 2:52 north bound passenger to attend the funeral.


A telegram has been received by Messrs. J.T. and W. W. Davis, telling of the death of their brother, Samuel T. Davis, which occurred in Pueblo, Colo, last Sunday morning. Details of the death are lacking, but he has been in ill health for some time, and recently went to Mexico from his home in Rosebud in the hope of bettering his health. He was 30 years of age and was at one time connected with the Citizens National Bank of Waco for a short while. He was later a member of the Tarver-Henslee company of Rosebud. He was an active young businessman, and news of his death will be received with regret here.
The remains were sent to Rosebud and are expected to reach that place tomorrow morning. The exact hour of the funeral cannot be stated, owing to the fact the precise time of arrival of the remains cannot be determined.

FEBRUARY 15, 1907


A Mexican, supposed to be Juan Gusman, is dead at Otto, having been shot through the neck by Culberson Bradshaw, the 12 year old son of Lee Bradshaw.
The killing occurred Saturday night at about dark. The Mexican was in an intoxicated condition and was in the act of entering the Bradshaw residence when first discovered. Mr. Bradshaw was in west Texas and there was no one at home but Mrs. Bradshaw and the children.
The Mexican came upon the gallery and was ordered away two or three times by Mrs. Bradshaw. He refused to go and was shot by the boy, who used a shot gun, the load taking effect in the chin and probably breaking the neck. The Mexican was killed instantly and his body lay in the position in which it had fallen until next morning. The family thoroughly frightened left immediately for the home of a neighbor where they remained for the night.
Gusman had made several attempts to enter the private premises just before he went to the Bradshaw house. What his purpose was will, of course, remain a mystery except as his actions may show.
The remains were viewed by Justice of the Peace Faudi and verdict rendered in accordance with the facts. The boy is held blameless by the people familiar with the facts, but was placed under a nominal bond to conform to legal requirements.


The fatalities among the negro population the past few days have been numerous, the last of which occurred in the yards Sunday evening when Jim Bailey a negro highly respected by his race, was run over by an engine, breaking his legs and otherwise mangling his body so that death resulted while being carried to the hospital Monday evening a Valley Junction.

APRIL 25, 1907

 Mr. John G. Carroll, a Confederate veteran, living at Mexia, died last Saturday after a lingering illness of several months with cancer. He was a member of Joe Johnson, Camp U.D.C.
Interment at Mexia.

MAY 02, 1907


Solon Joynes died in Rockdale, Texas at 11 a.m. on the 26th day of April, going to his reward on the other shore. He was born the 26th day of April, 1839, by noticing the above date you will readily see that he succumbed on his birth day. He was an Ex-Confederate soldier which order followed him to his last resting place. The same day (26th) his company, (The Norfolk Blues) fired the opening salute for the Jamestown Exposition.
He was at Battle of the Crater and said the Negroes were in three feet of the Confederate soldiers and could pass an axe back and forwards. He was taken prisoner at Petersburg and put in a stockade and guarded by negro soldiers who shot in every day and killed two or three soldiers until coming to Grant's notice, he put a stop to same.
At the close of the war he with brothers and sisters came to Texas, going to Galveston, afterwards to Brenham, then he followed the H. & T.C. to Calvert and then to Bremond and finally to Rockdale, going on the first I. & G.N. train, and began weighing cotton under a tree, as he was engaged in cotton buying and was a commission merchant. He was a Knights of Honor and a member of the Episcopal Church. He was consigned to Mother Earth by a minister of that faith.
He left a devoted wife and two loving daughters, also two sons, the oldest of whom is John W. Joynes of Cameron. Besides these are three brothers and three sisters to mourn his loss. W.C. Joynes' oldest brother lives in McKinney, Tex., Geo. F. in Grand Rapids, Mich., Lucius I. also a
sister, Mrs. H.A. Gladish, Mart, Texas; Mrs. J.E. Longmore in Rockdale, the oldest of the sisters, Mrs. Josie T. Norton, in far away California. Business was suspended in Rockdale from 10 o'clock until 1 o'clock, many people attending the funeral from the country which bespeaks the esteem in which he was held in Milam county.
He always had a cheery word for every one, and during his late illness was patient as a child. His last words were, "God Bless Me"


 Mrs. Minerva E. Burney, relict of Judge Burney, who died on Honest Ridge about 30 years ago, passed to her reward Saturday evening at about half-past two o'clock at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. D. Oliver, where she has been confined to her bed for a number of months and her death has been momentarily expected for some time. She was 83 years old on the 15th of March last and has been a resident of Texas 55 years and of Limestone county 54 years, having emigrated to Texas from Alabama in 1852, and was therefore one of the county's early settlers. Mrs. Burney was a member of the Methodist Church, having joined that faith, in her early life so far back, that the eldest child cannot remember it, and her life and practice has always been consistent with the faith she professed. She was a woman of extraordinary intelligence, and her mind was a store of general information, which with the Christian virtues that shone resplendent in her character, stamped her as womanly woman, whom everyone respected and loved. She is survived by five children, namely, Mrs. D. Oliver of this city, Tom and Walker Burney of Honest Ridge, Jas. Burney of Houston, and Joe Burney of Coleman county, all of whom were present at her burial at Honest Ridge Sunday afternoon, and to whom the sympathies of all are extended. The funeral services were begun at the residence of Mr. Oliver Sunday at noon by Rev. J. M. Wynne, and concluded at the grave by Rev. E.T. Harrison.
In the death of Mrs. Burney another pioneer is gone. There are only a few more left, and soon all of those brave hearts who faced the dangers and privations of early days in order to establish the civilization that we now enjoy, will have been gathered to their father, and they will live only in the recollection of us who reap the benefits of their early hardships and toil. Let us then reverence those that are with us still, and treasure in memory's casket recollections of those that are gone. --Mexia News


Last evening out near the Swaim farm, while a crowd of negroes were en route to a ball game, they stopped in at another negro's house-Buster Freeman-one of the crowd and a negro woman were scuffling over a shot gun when it was discharged, the shot striking Freeman just under the chin and going through to the back of his head, death resulting instantly. Judge Stovall of Prairie Hill was down and viewed the situation and we understand the shooting was purely accidental. There has, so it is stated, been no trouble between the negroes, and the dead negro Freeman was held by Mr. Robert Swaim and the other prominent white people as being one of the most upright and law abiding negroes in this part of the county, he having worked at Mr. Swaim's farm for the past 15 or 20 years.
The remains were brought to Mart Sunday evening and buried.

MAY 16, 1907


Last Friday evening about 5 o'clock out on Big Creek, Richard Dryer, the 12-year old son of E. Dryer, a prominent farmer living about 1 1/2 miles from Mart, was shot and almost instantly killed by Jno. Murphy. They in company with two other boys, were out hunting and were attacked by a vicious dog which was in the act of biting the Dryer boy when Murphy turned quickly and fired at the dog but missing his mark, the load of no. 8 shot took effect in the boy's face and neck, death resulting almost instantly. Judge Davis of Mart held an inquest over the remains and verdict was that Richard Dryer met his death by accident.


 Surrounded by a devoted husband, four loving children, brothers and father, the spirit of Mrs. J. A. Coor took its flight to other realms beyond on last Monday night at 9 o'clock, all medical skill being tried for her relief but the disease had long since fastened its deadly fangs on her frail body and it was after a struggle of about three months that she surrendered to the Grim Reaper and her spirit, on the wings of its maker ascended to the portals of a brighter and purer world. She had been a sufferer for several months of Brights Disease but had only been considered dangerously ill a few days, and a few hours before death it was realized that the end was near when relatives were sent for, to arrive only a few hours before death.
Among the out of town relatives to attend were Father Tom Barron, Natches, Miss.; Joe Barron, Rockdale; Mrs. Jno. Barron, daughter Miss Cora, and two sons, Cameron; A. V. Barron, wife and son; Maypearl; W. O. Barron, wife and son of Calvert.
Mr. Coor and family moved here about a year ago from Calvert and the family have made many friends who deeply sympathize with them in this the saddest of all hours-death.
Rev. J.H. Braswell conducted the funeral services at the residence at 4 o'clock Tuesday evening previous to interment in the Mart cemetery.

JUNE 27, 1907

 The many friends of Marshal Franklin in this and Limestone counties, will regret to hear of his death which occurred the 18th instant in Baylor county, where he moved two years ago. He died of typhoid fever and was sick only a few days. He leaves a wife and two little boys.

 Mr. J. F. Watts, one of Mart's best citizens died Wednesday afternoon after three days of the most intense suffering. He was taken very suddenly Sunday night and grew worse continually until relieved by death. An operation was performed Wednesday morning for appendicitis. Mr. Watts was a carpenter by trade and was held in the highest--
[the rest of the paper is torn, so the last of this obit is not available]
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.