McLennan County, Texas
January 1910

Transcribed by Jane Combs and Sandra Van Wyk

Saturday  January 1, 1910

Pioneer Resident Dead
 W.C. Talbert, aged 59 years, a resident of the China Springs section for about three decades, died last night at 11 o'clock.  Funeral services were held today, the body being interred in the cemetery at Patrick.  Besides his widow, deceased is survived by eight children.

News of the death of this pioneer citizen has been received here with great regret.  He was well known in Waco, where he often visited, and his sterling traits, his rugged honesty and never-failing courtesy made friends of all with whom he came in contact.  He delighted in serving others, being cheerful and willing in any effort that would contribute towards the lightening of another's burden.  Patient, kind and gentle, in the communtity where he resided no one was more generally esteemed.

To his widow and children the most sincere sympathy is proffered.

Sunday  January 2, 1910

To the Memory of our Honored and Esteemed Citizen,  J.M. Freeman

The Lord giveth and taketh at His will, so did he take from our midst the most loving, amiable and devoted husband, father and citizen, one who at all times stood with untiring outstretched arm to give a helping hand to the distressed and afflicted.

When the announcement of his death was made known, it occasioned general sorrow.  The news of his demise spread rapidly and many friends called at his residence when he died, to extend condolence and sympathy to the bereaved family who survive him.  For nearly twenty-two years Mrs. Freeman has lived here, and for many years has conducted a grocery store on South Eleventh street.  Through his close attention and loving way, he has built up a lucrative business and became very prominent in local commercial circles.

Besides the widow, the deceased is survived by six children, Mrs. Sadowski of San Antonio,  Mrs. A.H. Rich, Misses Ella, Zetta and Messrs. Harry and Nathan Freeman of this city, whom he cared for and protected, giving them that love
which is only expected from a father, providing each of them with an education and helping them in every way possible to throughly equip them for future lives of usefulness.  The good example he gave has borne fruit, for his children, all now grown, are a credit to the communities wherein they reside, and if they continue to follow the footsteps of one once so dear and loving, the highest regard can only be bestowe upon them.

Sunday  January 3, 1910

 Bryant Allen's Sister Dead
A letter received from Public Weigher Bryant Allen, who was called to  Grove Hill, Alabama, recently by the illness of his sister, conveys the information that she died December 31.  Mr. Allen will return home at an early date.  The sincere sympathy of many here will be proffered him in his bereavement.

Sunday January 3, 1910

W. C. Talbert's Funeral
The funeral of W.C. Talbert, who was well known in this county, took place at Patrick Saturday afternoon.  Following were the pallbearers: Active: T.J. Davis, Bob Culpepper, Stephen Eichelberger, Henry Harrison, Lee Williams.
Honorary: Eli Ditto, Ben Kennedy, Sr., Dave Nall, E.L. Harrison, T.M. Fresnall and Charles D. Eichelberger.

There was a large attendance at the funeral, attesting the esteem in which deceased was held.

Sunday  January 3, 1910

Infant Dead
 Tim Brumfield, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brumfield, who reside near China Springs, died at 3 o'clock this morning.  The funeral occurred at the same hour this afternoon.  Many friends of the sorrowing parents tender to them the most sincere condolence in their affliction.

Monday  January 4, 1910

 J.J. Swann Dead
Chilton, Tex., Jan 3-Ex-Senator J. J. Swann died here at his home last night at 7:30 o'clock, after a lingering illness of several weeks.  His remains were laid to rest in the Chilton cemetery this afternoon.  He was a prominent Mason and was buried with Masonic honors.  He leaves a wife, one son, Capt. J. W. Swann, who is in the Phillippines, and one daughter, Mrs. George McDonald of  Tyler.

January 5, 1910

Little Girl Dead
Trent, the 4-year-old daughter of  Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Alford, who reside at 717 South Third street, died at 5 o'clock this morning, after an illness of only a few hours. The remains were prepared for burial and shipped to Brenham, where  interment will take place, accompanied by Mrs. Alford and her surviving children.
The sympathy of many here is extended to the bereaved parents in the great loss they have sustained.

January 6, 1910

Will Be Buried Tomorrow
The remains of  Mrs. Ophelia Reed, aged 60 years, who died at Dallas yesterday afternoon, arrived here today on the noon Katy.  Funeral services will be conducted at the First Baptist church at 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, Dr. F.C. McConnell, the pastor, officiating, assisted by Dr. A. ? Barton.

Great regret has been caused here by the news of Mrs. Reed's death.  She lived at  706 South Sixth street and had for years been a resident of Waco.  An ideal neighbor, kind-hearted and lovable, she gathered around her a host of devoted friends.

Three children survive the deceased, two sons, Jim of this city, Carl of El Paso, and one daughter, Mrs. Annie McGuire, who lives in Mexico.

Friday January 7, 1910

A Child Dead
 William Ellisson Gooch, Jr., son of  W.E. Gooch, died at the residence, 1123 North Thirteenth street, aged 7 months and 7 days.

The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning from the residence, Rev. W.B. Andrews officiating, interment at Oakwood cemetery.

Friday January 7, 1910
 Mrs. Lula Smith died last night on South Eleventh street and was buried at Whitehall cemetery today.  The funeral was conducted by Rev. W. L. Nelms.  Deceased leaves a husband and little babe.

Friday January 7, 1910

 W.A. Alexander Dead
W. A. Alexander, aged 46 years, died at 12 o'clock last night at 2026 Webster street. He was born in Canada, but reared in Detroit, Mich., and has been in Texas about  twenty years.  He leaves a wife and two sons besides numerous friends to mourn his loss.  The funeral will take place at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon, conducted by Rev. J. W. Foster, pastor of Clay Street Baptist church, interment at Oakwood cemetery.
Following are the pallbearers: Cecil Shear, W.F. Quantey, A.L. Busch, Clyde Barker, J.M. Nash and W.C. Bacon.

Friday January 7, 1910

Two shots from a 38 caliber Colt's six-shooter, held by Mose Rawls, killed  W.G. Ripley, aged 24 years, about 10:30 this morning, the killing taking place on North Sixth street, between Washington and Austin streets, in the front portion of the Brazos Electric company, of which Rawls is the proprietor.  Death was almost instantaneous.

Immediately following the shooting, Rawls surrendered to Deputy Constable Early Sparks, to whom he turned over his pistol.  Deputy Sparks handed the man and the weapon over to the custody of the sheriff's department, and Rawls was placed in jail.

One shot entered the right chest, just over the right lung, while another passed through his chin, breaking the right jaw.  The ball entering the right side passed through the body and came out under the left shoulder.

As soon as he had been notified of the killing, the remains were viewed by Judge Albert Boggess, and his verdict will be rendered later.  The body was lying in the spot where it fell after Ripley was shot when Judge Boggess entered the building.

According to information which the latter secured, the two men were in the office by  themselves when the tragedy took place, hence no statement could be secured as to the direct cause leading up to the killing.

Mr. Rawls was seen by a Times-Herald reporter in jail soon after his arrest, but declined positively to make any statement as to the killing.  He refused to discuss in any manner the details of any incident in connection with the shooting. The dead man is Rawls brother-in-law, having married Rawls sister.  From Ripley's brother, who reached the scene shortly after the killing, it was learned that friction had existed between the two men for some time. Ripley's brother is authority for the statement that the dead man and his wife were separated some time ago, and this seems to have led to an estrangement between Ripley and Rawls. Ripley has been out of town for some time, but returned to Waco shortly before Christmas.

A few minutes before the killing this morning he went to Rawls establishment, but what took place between the two meant is solely a matter of conjecture as no one else entered while the two meant were discussing matters.

Mr. Rawls met Deputy Constable Early Sparks near the court house.  He handed his gun to the officer, remarking, "I've shot a man," giving no name or any of the particulars.

After he had been turned over to the sheriff's department, Deputy Sparks went to the place where the killing had occurred and made an examination of the dead man.  He states his right hand was in his pants pocket, and when the hand was taken out of the pocket, an open knife, with a blade very keenly whetted, fell out on the floor.  The knife was picked up and retained by Mr. Sparkes.  Further than this, no weapon was found on the dead man.

Very little blood could be found on the floor where Ripley fell and had it not been for a slight discoloration visible on his shirt front, the wound in the chest would have passed unnoticed, unless the body had been minutely examined.

Many persons were attracted by the two shots fired, and when the report spread that a man
had been killed, a big crowd surged in the building, eager to catch a glimpse of Ripley. Officers arrived soon after the fatal affair and held the crowd at bay, refusing admittance to all save those entitled to view the remains.

The body was taken to the undertaking establishment of Fall and Puckett, where it was prepared for burial.  Funeral arrangements had not been made this morning, but the remains will very likely be interred here tomorrow.

A date for Rawls examining trial will very likely be determined soon.

Friday January 7, 1910

Aged Resident Dead
 Mrs. Ann Lafavor, aged 65 years, died at her home, six miles west of Robinson, yesterday afternoon.  The funeral took place at 11 o'clock this morning.  Interment at Robinson cemetery.
Deceased had lived many years in this county and was beloved by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.  Besides her husband, W.H. Lafavor, she is survived by several grown children.

January 8, 1910

 Mrs. Eleanor Rippetoe, aged 70 years, died last evening at 7 o'clock at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George W. King, 2014 Austin street.  The funeral will take place from the residence, Rev. J.J. Grier, pastor of the Second Presbyterian church, officiating.  Interment will occur at Oakwood.

The following pall-bearers have been selected: J.T. Brodie, J.D. Douglas, Willard Jackson, D.A. Saunders, W.F. Daly and J.H. Brookshire.

Deceased had been a resident of Waco about six years, and during that time she made many friends in this city.  She was a native of Kentucky.  Of most pleasing personality, this aged lady was greatly beloved by all who came in contact with her during her brief residence in  Waco.

Besides Mrs. King, three other children survive the deceased, as follows:  Mrs. Fuller, Eltopia, Washington; Mrs. Myrick, Glidden, Texas and Wm. Rippetoe, Odessa.

January 8, 1910

Succumbing to burns received Thursday, Mary Louise, the 18 months-old daughter of  Mr. and Mrs. Walter W. Bell died, at the family residence, 610 South Fifth street, at 5 o'clock this morning.
The funeral will take place in the morning at 10:30 from the house, Rev. Father P.J. Clancy officiating, interment at Holy Cross cemetery.

The death of their little one came as a very great shock to the parents and their friends.  Her condition was so favorable yesterday that Mr. Bell was enabled to resume his daily occupation.
Late in the evening a change for the worse became evident, and it was then observed that the child's injuries were fatal.  Physicians were at once summoned, and though they labored faithfully to save the little girl, their efforts were fruitless, and she passed away at the hour above named.

It is believed that the child inhaled the flames.  While her lips were burned, no trace of burns could be found on her tongue, neither did her throat have the appearance hence it was hoped that she had escaped internal injuries from the accident, an account of which was printed in yesterday's paper.

To the bereaved parents the most tender sympathy of a host of friends is extended.

Monday January 10, 1910

Passed Away at 3:50 O'clock Yesterday After Long Illness

Mrs. J.A. Burkhead, aged 52 years, died at 3:50 yesterday afternoon at the family residence, 2201 North Fifth street, after and illness lasting from last April until death came.

Mrs. Birkhead leaves a husband and the following children to mourn her loss, besides many friends: Mrs. J.M. Purcell, Albert Birkhead, Heady Birkhead, Miss Lottie Birkhead, Darwin and Joe Birkhead.  All of these reside in Waco except Heady, who is in the employ of the Southwestern Telephone company at Marlin.  The children were present, as it became apparent Saturday that Mrs. Birkhead cold not last long.
The family came here from Troy, MO., about fifteen years ago, and have been living here ever since.
They are held in high esteem, and the death of Mrs. Birkhead will be deeply regretted.

The funeral services will take place from the residence at 3:30 o'clock this afternoon, followed by interment at Oakwood cemetery.  The following are pall-bearers: Jack Owens, J. Pritchett, Ed Williamson, John O. Beckley, Charles Lancaster and L.A. Dupre.

January 11, 1910

Victims of Tragedy in Runnels County Shipped to Old Home.
Times-Herald Correspondence

Lott, Tex., Jan 9 -  Mr. J.S. Derr, one of our prominent citizens received a telegram from Ballinger today stating that Frank Kimbler of that place had killed his wife, both children, a boy age 8 years and a girl age 3, then killed himself.  None of the particulars is obtainable at this writing.  Mr. Kimbler resided near Lott for a number of years and married Miss Mary Jordan, a popular young lady of the Busby community.
Both have a host of friends who were shocked and grieved to hear of the awful tragedy.  His mother, Mrs. Mary Kimbler, and a sister, Mrs. J. S. Derr, reside here.  Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Kimbler, cashier of the First National bank of Boerne, who arrived in Lott yesterday on a visit to his mother and sister, left immediately for Ballinger to have the bodies prepared for shipment.  They will be brought back to Lott and laid to rest in the family burying ground four miles north of Lott.

January 13, 1910


 John A. Stewart, aged 43 years, died yesterday afternoon at Terrell.  The remains will arrive here tonight on the Katy flyer and will be taken to Fall & Puckett's mortuary chapel, where services will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock.  Rev. W.B. Andrews, pastor of the Austin Avenue Methodist church, will officiate, interment at Oakwood.

The following pall bearers have been selected, Wm. Lambdin, N.T. Cheatham, A.R. McCollum, W.B. Knight, Mike Adam and Albert Cornellussen.

Deceased was born at Old Jefferson, Rutherford county, Tennessee, on October 25, 1866, and had been a resident of Waco for 38 years.  In this city he was well known.  In musical circles of days gone by he was especially prominent.  It was said of John Stewart that music formed a  part  of his make-up, and this, in a measure, was true, for he never seemed quite so happy or contented as when playing his beloved snare drum, he being considered one of the best in the state when in his prime.  He was also a pianist of great ability and a vocalist of note.

John Stewart was a man of kindly impulses, who could be depended on to aid and assist a friend whenever his circumstances permitted, and his generosity was often invoked by those on whom the hand of affliction had been laid.  His sympathies were ever with the oppressed and downtrodden, and his voice was always raised in behalf of the unfortunate.

Besides a widow and one brother, A. J. Stewart of this city, he is survived by three sisters, Miss Lillie Stewart, Waco; Mrs. J.U. Clabaugh, Ross; Mrs. John Amonett, Pauls Valley, Oklahoma.  To these the sympathy of all friends of the family is sincerely tendered.

Thursday January 13, 1910


Large Number of Friends of the Kimbler Family Pay Tribute at Lott
Times-Herald Correspendence
Lott, Tex., Jan 12 -The remains of  Frank Kimbler, Mrs. Mary Kembler, his wife, and two children, all of whom were victims of the awful tragedy in Runnels county Sunday, arrived in Lott on the northbound train this morning.  The Lott camp W.O.W. met the train in a body.  Mr. Kimbler having at one time been a member of this lodge.  Besides the lodge a large concourse of sorrowing friends were at the depot when the train arrived.

Three hearses were in waiting.  The two caskets containing the remains of the children were placed in one hearse.  The hearse bearing the remains of the husband and father led the procession, the one bearing the wife and mother second, the bodies of the sweet innocent children being in the third.

As the procession, over a mile long, wended its way to the family burying ground, it passed the old home of ____arrival at the cemetery the Lott camp of W.O.W. assisted by the camps from Chilton and Durango, took charge of the bodies.  After the beautiful and impressive ceremony, Rev. Calvin Adams of the M.E. church and Rev. B.T. Goodwyn of the Baptist church, both spoke tender words of sympathy and consolation to the bereaved ones.  At the conclusion of a beautiful prayer by Rev. Adams, the four beautiful white caskets were lowered into one large grave.

This terrible tragedy has cast a gloom over the entire community.  Mrs. Kimbler having been born, reared and married, in a mile of where they were both laid to rest.  Mr. Kimbler having lived near here a number of years before they were married.  After their marriage they still resided in the Busby community, until his health failed and they went west hoping he would be benefited, but his mind gave way and the awful deed was the result.

Thursday January 13, 1910

Death of Doctor Parshall
Times-Herald Correspondence.
Clifton, Tex., Jan. 12 -  Dr. James G. Parshall, an old resident of Clifton and Bosque county, was buried yesterday at the old cemetery near Clifton.  Dr. Parshall came to this county from Pennsylvania in 1869, and for many years was one of the leading physicians, but for the last few years his health has not permitted him to engage in active practice; he was well known and had many friends, which was attested by the large number who gathered to pay the last and respects at his funeral.

January 15, 1910

Waco Times-Herald

 Louise Hunter, Little Child Dead

Louise, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Hunter, Twenty-second and Lasker, died early this morning. The body will be shipped to Sherman this afternoon, where interment will occur.
The child, aged two months, had been ill for the past few days, suffering from an attack of colic. The parents did not dream their baby's condition was serious, but when Mrs. Hunter awoke about 5:30 this morning she found that death had claimed the little one. The body was still warm when the discovery was made, and a physician was summoned, but it was found that life was extinct.
Mr. Hunter is an advertising solicitor for the Times-Herald and the sympathy of many friends is tendered the bereaved parents.

January 17, 1910

Waco Times-Herald

 Mrs. W. D. Eastland

The funeral of Mrs. W. D. Eastland took place yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock from the residence 1725 South Eighth street, Rev. E. E. Ingram officiating, interment at Oakwood cemetery.
Following were the pallbearers:
Active: M. L. Garrett, Judge W. H. Jenkins, Judge A. C. Prendergast, Dr. J. M. Witt, Captain J. D. Morrow, D. C. Warren.
Honorary: Dr. J. E. Johnson, Dr. Andrew Goddard, B. F. Graves, S. P. Goddard, E. A. McKenney, Dr. J. I. Kesler.
The following sisters and brothers of deceased were present: Mr. and Mrs. H. R. Kelso, Belton; Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Eastland, Haskell; Mr. A. B. Parker, Big Springs, Miss Norma Parker, Dallas; Miss Annie Mae Eastland, Dallas; Mrs. John Woodall, Mr. John Woodall, Robinsonville. Hiram Eastland of Hillsboro, a cousin, was also present.

 James Horn Dead

James Horn of Kerrville died in San Antonio this morning. The deceased was a brother of Mrs. S. C. Littlepage of this city.

 Lucille Overby

Little Girl Electrocuted. Twelve-Year-Old Girl killed by coming in contact with live wire.
Death in sudden and horrible form was the fate meted out last night to Lucile Overby, aged 12 years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Overby, the child being electrocuted at the corner of First and Lelia streets about 7 o'clock.
The funeral will occur from the residence at 4 o'clock this afternoon, interment at Oakwood. Rev. James Campbell, pastor of the Fifth street Methodist Church, will officiate.
Lucile, together with a crowd of boys and girls, was playing in the street. She came in contact with a wire extending from the cross arm on a pole. The wire, according to the statement of those who live in Edgefield, where the accident took place, is not supposed to be charged. Those who claim to be familiar with the condition of electric light wires in that vicinity claim the insulation had worn off one of the charged wires, the current being communicated to the wire which the little girl touched.
Her companions were unaware of the agony the little one was undergoing, until a piercing scream rent the air, and they saw the child writhe and squirm in pain. Ed Carey, aged about 14 years, who also lives in Edgefield, made a heroic attempt to jerk the child loose from the wire, his hands being badly burned as a result.
Efforts to resuscitate the child proved fruitless, and she was removed to the home of her parents, two blocks from the place where she was killed.
The little girl was very popular with her playmates and her sudden and tragic death has caused general sadness in the neighborhood where she lived. Lucile was a bright, cheerful child, kind and considerate toward others, and this made her a general favorite with all who knew her.
News of the girl's death spread very rapidly last night, friends of the family in various portions of the city being informed of the terrible occurrence. They were stunned, as were the parents, by the suddenness of the sad affair which terminated, in such a brief space of time, the life of a happy, lighthearted child.
Mr. Overby, father of the girl, is well known in local newspaper circles, having been connected with them in different capacities most of his life. To the bereaved parents the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends and acquaintances here is proffered.

 Mrs. John F. Feagan
The funeral of Mrs. John F. Feagan, who died last Saturday, took place Sunday, the remains being laid to rest at Oakwood. Mrs. Feagan, who was 54 years of age, lived at 1403 Jackson street. She came to Waco about six months ago from McGregor and was highly esteemed here.

January 18, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 R. T. Pippin

Yesterday afternoon the funeral of R. T. Pippin took place from the residence of his brother in East Waco, interment occurring at Greenwood.
Many attended the obsequoes. while the following were chosen as pallbearers: Felix Jones, Dave May, George Fuston, Dick Scott, Ezra Harris and Bunk Turner.

 Mrs. Mary Smith Dead

Mrs. Mary E. Smith, aged 65 years, died at her home, 327 North Third street, at 9:15 last night. The funeral took place at 2 this afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. J. H. Appell. The remains were laid to rest in First Street cemetery. Deceased was well known here and had many friends, all of whom mourn her death. She is survived by two grown sons, who reside in Houston.

January 19, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 John Riley Dead

A telegram was received this morning by Mrs. F. H. Kingsbury, announcing the death at Omega, La., of her cousin, John Riley, aged 16 years. The boy attended school at St. Basil's the early part of the present session, but was forced to return home on account of ill health.
By his companions at school and others who came in contact with him during his stay here the boy was highly esteemed, and new of his death will be received by them with great regret.
In addition to Mrs. Kingsbury, young Riley has a sister here, Miss Kathleen Riley, who is a boarding pupil at the Academy of the Sacred Heart.

 Death of T. S. Hall

T. S. Hall, aged about 46 years, died at 10 o'clock this morning at the residence of his brother, P. A. Hall, 503 North Eighth street, after an illness of several months duration. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning from the residence, conducted by the Woodmen, interment at Oakwood.
Deceased came here last December from Little Rock for the benefit of his health. He was a man of kindly, genial traits, admired by all who met him.
Besides his widow, who came to Waco with him, he is also survived by two brothers here, Policeman R. H. Hall and P. A. Hall.

January 20, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Eldred Cox

Only Child died at 11 this morning.
Eldred, the 13 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Cox, died at the family residence, 1819 Washington street, at 11 this morning, from the result of an attack of typhoid fever. While no time for the funeral has been definitely set this afternoon, it is believed the services will take place tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock, interment at Oakwood.
Though the little girl had been quite ill, it was not believed by her parents and companions that the attack would prove fatal. Her condition yesterday became alarming, but still the devoted parents did not give up hope, for they thought the change for the worse was only temporary. During the night no improvement was visible, and it was known this morning that the child was beyond mortal aid.
A particularly sad feature in connection with the little girl's death is the fact that she was the only child. On her had been lavished a wealth of love and affection by devoted parents, whose grief over the loss of their treasure is well nigh inconsolable.
Little Eldred was an unusually bright child, one whose sweet disposition, cheerful temperament and thoughtful kindness endeared her to friends of the family and made her the idol of a large circle of playmates. With her teachers she was a favorite.
To the deeply bereaved parents the most sincere sympathy of hundreds of friends in this city is proffered.

 Mrs. Belle Hudson Dead
Mrs. Belle Hudson, aged 44 years, died at the home of the Good Shepherd yesterday.
The funeral services were held in the parlors of the Home in the afternoon by the superintendent, Rev. J. L. Russell. Mrs. Hudson had been a great sufferer for years from an internal cancer.
The funeral was attended by a few of the Christian friends who had ministered to her needs often through her sickness. She left an abiding testimony that God had saved her from sin and that she was going from suffering to eternal rest.

January 21, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Mrs. John T. Flint
Death of Pioneer Resident Today.

Mrs. John T. Flint, aged 70 years, died at 1:50 this afternoon at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. J. R. Davis, corner Eighteenth and Franklin streets. Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.
Deceased has been a resident of Waco since 1861, a period of nearly 50 years. She is well known in this city, especially among the older people.
Mrs. Flint was born at Aiken, South Carolina, most of her life having been spent in Waco.
She was beloved by a host of friends for her many virtues, her uniform kindness, her gentle, loving disposition and her cheerful temperament.
Her death is universally regretted here, and to the surviving relatives the most sincere condolence is extended.

 Child's Funeral Tomorrow, Eldred Cox

The funeral of little Eldred Cox will take place tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock, the services to be conducted at the home of her parents, 1819 Washington street, Rev. E. A. Temple, rector of St. Paul's Episcopal church, officiating. It was at first believed that the services would be held this afternoon, but a postponement was decided on early today.
The following pallbearers have been chosen: T. C. Walker, H. O. Tesson, A. H. Jacobs, R. L. Capell, A. C. Wiebusch and Leslie Finucane.

 Will Mitten, Popular Hackman, is Dead

A recent issue of a Corsicana paper contains notice of the death of Will Mitten, the former well known hackman of Waco. Will died at the home of his parents in Corsicana, and the cause of his demise is said to have been dropsy. He was well known in this city, where he resided for a few years.
Shortly before leaving Waco he bought an automobile, which he used for the purpose of transporting passengers to and from local depots. Mitten was popular here with a number of friends and acquaintances.

January 22, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Mrs. John T. Flint

Funeral Tomorrow Afternoon

The funeral of the late Mrs. John T. Flint will take place from the residence of her son-in-law, J. R. Davis, corner Eighteenth and Franklin streets, at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, Dr. F. C. McConnell, pastor of the First Baptist church, of which the deceased was a member for nearly fifty years, officiating. Interment will occur at Oakwood.
The following active pallbearers have been selected: E. H. Hardin, J. M. Carter, Edward Carter, Beverly Hardin, Ralph Rodgers and Albert Flint.
Honorary: R. H. Gray, Judge J. C. West, W. H. Jenkins, F. A. Winchell, C. L. Johnson and S. B. Humphrey.

January 23, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 C. P. Albea Dead.

C. P. Albea, aged 66 years, died last night at 10:15 having been ill for some little time.
He suffered from a kind of breakdown. Recently he grew much worse and it became apparent that he could not hold out much longer. He has been living in Waco for many years and had a great many friends here.
The funeral will take place from the chapel of Fall & Puckett Monday morning at 10 o'clock, and members of Pat Cleburne Camp, U.C.V., are invited to attend, as he was a member of this organization, having served the Confederacy faithfully.

 R. G. Pidcocke Died Yesterday

Reginald Goodman Pidcocke, aged 78 years, died yesterday morning at 5 o'clock at the residence, Twelfth and Jefferson streets. after an illness which really extended over some time, as he has been failing for the past two or three years rapidly and has had one or two bad spells in that time, rallying somewhat, only to drop back into a state of poor health.
The death of Mr. Pidcocke, while anticipated, cause genuine sorrow all over the city. He was a man of gentle spirit, altruistic to a degree, and not only loved by his fellow man but was always ready to put this into practical and concrete form in the way of service. He was a man of the finest principles--upright, honest, charitable, active in all those things making for the best citizenship and the advancement of real society--it was small wonder, therefore, that when he fell on sleep his fellow men shed tears of genuine sorrow to his memory. He has been a citizen of Waco for many years, and his record here is one of which those who survive him may well feel proud. As a confederate soldier he met all the requirements of patriotic service, and in this, as in other things, filled the measure of self-sacrifice and devotion to duty.
R. G. Pidcocke was born in Staffordshire, England, in 1831. He was educated in London and came to Texas in the fifties. He was one of the early teachers, and taught at Lampasas one of the first and best schools.
During the war he joined and was a member of Gurley's regiment and did valiant service. He ranched awhile in Coryell county and came to Waco late in the sixties, entering the banking business with Flint & Chamberlain and afterwards with the First National Bank. He was married here to Miss Jessie Layton, whose death occurred eleven years ago. He is survived by one son, Reginald, who lives in South Carolina, and four daughters, Mrs. G. H. West, Mrs. Walker F. Moore and Misses Fannie and Azalette Pidcocke of this city.
The funeral will take place at 3 o'clock this afternoon from St. Paul's Episcopal church, of which he was a consistent member, Rector E. A. Temple, officiating. Interment at Oakwood cemetery.
Following are the pallbearers: Active: R. F. Gribble, J. R. Rose, L. B. Black, John W. Baker, C. L. Johnson, John L. Brockenbrough. Honorary: E. Rotan, Judge T. L. McCullough, Prof. J. C. Lattimore, John Moore, George Jones, Evans Lossing, Dr. S. E. Shelton, E. M. Parnum, A. R. McCollum, F. B. Robinson, E. A. McKinney, C. Hodgeon Jones.

January 25, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Floyd Wiley Died Early This Morning

Floyd Bradford Wiley, aged 30 years, died at 12:15 o'clock this morning at the residence of his father, H. P. Wiley, 1004 South Fifth street.
He contracted pneumonia some little time ago while engaged at his duties with T. H. Kessler & Co., and though a brave fight for life was made it was in vain, and the family and friends saw yesterday that it was only a question of hours until the end must come.
The funeral will take place at 4 o'clock this afternoon from the residence on South Fifth street, interment at Oakwood cemetery, Rev. Jones Campbell, assisted by Rev. M. S. Hotchkiss, officiating. Floyd Wiley was born in Kenney, Austin county, Texas on August 10, 1879, and moved to Waco in September 1902. He joined Fifth street Methodist church during the time that Rev. M. S. Hotchkiss was pastor and has been serving on the board of stewards, assistant secretary of the Sunday school, and in other ways. He was a young man of the most exemplary habits, kind and thoughtful always, and to his splendid character was added the grace of a smiling, cheerful presence and a desire to serve his fellows at all times.
His life was a real inspiration to those with whom he came in contact, and none will doubt who knew Floyd Wiley that when he fell asleep he was simply obeying the call to come up higher. R. L. Brewer, a life-long friend who is attending Southwestern university at Georgetown, is here and paid the deceased a high tribute this morning.
Following are the pallbearers:
Active: E. C. Street, Ira Huddleston, Sam Knight, R. V. Jones, Walter Klentzmann, Luke New.
Honorary: J. F. Adams, J. W. McLaran, Oscar Myre, U. J. Barber, Sam Smith, Prof. J. M. Ferguson, Eugene McGlasson, Will Dodson, A. L. Elliott, C. J. Clanton, J. A. Littlefield, V. V. Damon.

 R. G. Pidcocke's Funeral

The funeral of R. G. Pidcocke took place at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon from the Episcopal church, Rector E. A. Temple officiating.
The Confederate soldiers, wearing their mourning badges, were present in numbers to honor their dead comrade, as were many others who wanted to pay their last meed of respect to the memory of a good man who had wrought well.
The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful.

January 26, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Mrs. M. B. Griggs Dead

Another Early Settler and Good Woman of Waco Passed Away.

Mrs. Martha Bussey Griggs died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. T. McCrary. She was born in Georgia on December 10, 1822, and was married in her youth to Joseph P. Griggs, coming to Texas with him fifty-five years ago. Her husband died in 1865. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. McCrary of Waco, Mrs. G. A. Stapley of Waxahachie and Mrs. W. T. Murphy of Mexia, also a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be from the First Baptist Church, of which she was a member, and will take place at 10 o'clock tomorrow. Interment at Oakwood cemetery. Services conducted by Rev. Jeff O. Ray and Rev. J. W. Foster of Clay street church.
Following are the pallbearers:
Active: Frank Wells, Will Miller, Lee Busch, Sam Stewart, Warwick Jenkins, Richard Burleson.
Honorary: S. B. Humphreys, Judge John C. West, M. H. Standefer, William H. Gaston of Dallas, Judge Prendergast of Mexia, Dr. W. F. West of Waxahachie.

 Mary Barok, A Child Dead

Mary Barok, the 1-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Barok, died at her home, 404 Taylor street, last night at 9 o'clock.
The funeral took place form the residence this morning at 11 o'clock, interment at Greenwood cemetery.

January 26, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 James Hogan, Wealthy Farmer Found Dead

West, Texas, January 25. James Hogan, a prominent farmer and landholder of Hill county, who lived in the Brigman community, was found dead in his bed this morning. He had been indisposed and under medical treatment for several days, but as he was up and attending to business most of the time, his sudden demise is a great shock to the community and his many friends.
In addition to his large land holdings in Hill county Mr. Hogan was identified with some of the leading enterprises in West and was a frequent visitor to our city and had many friends here.
As he had no family nor relatives here funeral arrangements will probably not be made until communication can be had with relatives in Kansas City.

 J. A. Marley, Old Citizen Dead

J. A. Marley of Erath, aged 85 years, died at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon after a brief illness.
The funeral will take place at 3 o'clock this afternoon at Battle. Mr. Marley leaves a family of several children, among those being J. H. Marley, who has a gin at Erath. His wife died some little time ago. Mr. Marley has lived in the county for about half a century, and was a quiet, unassuming and excellent citizen.

 Margaret Mitchell, Funeral This Afternoon

The remains of little Margaret Mitchell, the 7-year-old daughter of Rev. and Mrs. J. C. Mitchell of Martindale, Hays county, will reach Waco at 4:30 this afternoon.
The funeral will take place at once, interment at Oakwood cemetery. Mr. Mitchell will be accompanied to Waco by Rev. Mr. Wray of Martindale. The father of the little girl is a brother of W. J. Mitchell of this city, and will have the sympathy of many friends here.

January 27, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Albert Harris. Homicide Last Nigh Twelve Miles North

Albert Harris was killed last night near Gholson on the Lee Mosels place.
Particulars of the affair have not yet been gleaned, but T. B. Clements was brought to Waco this afternoon from West by Deputy Constable Hightower and placed in jail on a charge of committing the deed. He was arrested by the officer after the shooting.
It is understood that Harris was shot twice with a pistol, dying almost at once. The men are farmers and it is stated that each had a family. It is also stated that the trouble came up at a dance. The point where the killing took place is about twelve miles above Waco. Clements, after being arrested, was taken to West, and was then brought to Waco.

 Mrs. Rudisail Dead

Mrs. Martha Elizabeth Rudisail died at 11 o'clock last night in East Waco. The funeral will take place at 4 p.m. today from the residence, near the old compress, interment at Greenwood.
Mrs. Rudisail leaves her husband and three children, Mrs. Grover Rudisail and Mrs. Estell Philips of Waco and Mrs. Maud Fowler of Whitney. She was born in South Carolina and came to Texas in 1901, settling at Whitney, where she resided up to two years ago, when she moved with her family to Waco.

 Coleman King.

Coleman Y. King, age 17 years, son of George King, living at North 1500 Webster street, died this morning at 5 a.m.
The remains will be shipped this afternoon on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad to Hillsboro for interment.

 William Vivrett.

William D. Vivrett, age 74 years, died last night at 11:40 at the corner of Wood and South Tenth streets.
Funeral and interment at White Hall church at 4 p.m. today. Mr. Vivrett was born in Tennessee and came to Waco in 1871. He has resided in Waco since that time. He was a member of the Confederacy, belonging to the cavalry service.

 Mrs. Addie Hargrove.

Mrs. Addie Hargrove died at 10 o'clock this morning, aged 30 years. She died on the Robinson road some two or three miles south of the city.
The funeral will take place from the residence of J. E. Bledsoe, where death occurred, at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning, interment at Oakwood cemetery.

 R. J. Matthews' Funeral.

R. J. Matthews was buried yesterday afternoon. He had been sick for three months, and was given every attention by the Salvation Army, the ministrations of the Army being careful and tender, alleviating the sufferings of the sick man during his last days.
The funeral sermon of Matthews will be preached Saturday night at the Army hall by Capt. W. L. Beard, who has done all he could for the sufferer. Captain Beard leaves next week for Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and his work in Waco has been an earnest and active one. He has lost no opportunity to do good, and will be followed by the best wishes of many.

January 28, 1910
Waco Times-Herald

 Mrs. S. A. Hogan Died at Noon Today

Mrs. S. A. Hogan, aged 63 years, died at noon today at the family residence, corner Eighth and Austin streets.
The funeral will be from the residence at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon, interment at Oakwood cemetery. Following are the pallbearers: Active, J. K. Rose, J. A. Lord, Nat Harris, George Weibusch, Herman Hempkins, J. R. Downs. Honorary, Judge M. Surratt, George Clark, F. S. Ryan, A. N. Earle, T. P. Stone, William Sleeper Judge R. L. Munroe, Albert Boggess, Tom McCullough, John McNamara, Erwin Clark and J. E. Yantis.
Only one son, Mont Hogan, survives, and the husband, S. A. Hogan, the latter having been ill with pneumonia for the past three weeks. Mrs. Hogan was born in Brazoria county in 1847 and came to Waco in 1869, having lived here ever since. She was a loving faithful wife and mother, a true and devoted friend, and has many friends in WAco and this section who will be deeply pained to learn of her death. During her long residence in Waco she has naturally made many friends, all of whom will sympathize with those who are left in this hour of gloom.
Mrs. Hogan was suddenly stricken with apoplexy day before yesterday, as mentioned in these columns yesterday afternoon, and it was clear from the first that should be probably not survive.

 Mrs. O. H. Judkins died in Plainview.

Commercial agent J. W. Byars of the I. and G.N. railroad, this morning received a telegram stating that Mrs. O. H. Judkins died at Plainview at 7 o'clock.
Mrs. Judkins, who was a most lovable character, was Miss Lola Hardy, and was married here in Waco last June. She was a sister of Mrs. J. L. Valentine of this city, and her home was in Calvert, but she visited in Waco and was known here to many. News of her death will cause much sadness.

January 29, 1910

Waco Times-Herald

 Ollie Hudggings Dead
Ollie Hudggings, aged 34 years, died at 2:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the corner of First and Jackson streets.
The remains have been held for the arrival of relatives, but will probably be sent to Weatherford today, where interment will take place tomorrow some time.
Hudggings had no immediate family; that is to say, he was not a married man.

 M. D. Burge Dead.

M. D. Burge, aged 55 years, died at 2 p.m. yesterday. The body was removed to the undertaking parlors of F. M. Compton and prepared for burial.
The funeral will be from the home of his nephew, J. W. McMurrain, 900 Turner street, at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. He has lived in Waco since 1882.
He leaves no family. Deceased was a member of the Maccabees and that lodge will have charge of the services. Rev. Mr. McCann of East Waco Baptist church, will officiate, interment at Greenwood.
The pallbearers are: Active -- F. B. Henry, J. S. Thompson, J. B. Sawtelle, Harry Arnold, Tom Kelly, William Reese.
Honorary: C. G. Peterson, Perry Bailey, C. W. Kirby, D. O. Post, R. G. Ard, J. N. Thomas.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.