McLennan County, Texas
January 1915

JANUARY 01, 1915


Mrs. P.J. Cooke, age 51, died at her home on North Pearl St., Mart, Texas, Sunday morning, Dec. 27, at six o'clock, following a lingering illness of many months.
Funeral services were held at the residence at 3 p.m., conducted by Rev. J.W. Mayfield, and interment made immediately following in the Mart cemetery.
Besides her husband, the following children mourn the loss of this devoted mother: Mrs. G. C. Ashford of Plantersville, Ernest L. Cook of Dallas, Victor and Fred Cook of Mart.
Deceased was a consistent member of the Baptist Church, and her virtues were appreciated by all who knew her modest and lovable spirit. Her patient suffering during a long period of affliction was remarkable.
The bereaved ones have the sincere sympathy of all their friends and acquaintances.

JANUARY 08, 1915


Little Hazel, 2 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo Teagle, of Kirk, died Jan. 4th and was buried in the Kirk cemetery.
Their friends and acquaintances sympathize with them in their bereavement.


R. C. Towery of Kirk, Texas, passed to his reward on Dec. 30, 1914, at 2:30 p.m.
Bro. Towery was born in Jefferson county, Ala. Should he have lived until Jan. 13, 1915, he would have been 84 years of age. He has six children living by his first wife, four sons and two daughters. Two of these sons live in Texas, the other children live in Kentucky. There were given to him two children by his second wife, both are girls ages 13 and 15 years. He leaves these eight children and last wife to remember his long and eventful life.
Bro. Towery joined the Baptist church at the age of 16 years, and for nearly seventy years lived a consistent christian life and served faithfully in this capacity while able to be an active worker in the church.
He was made a Mason in his early manhood and was enthusiastic in the principles of Masonry. When he was called to his final home he held his membership at Mart, Tex., Oak Point lodge 636.
No words that we could speak would do Bro. Towery any good, but a man who lived the life he did and with the numbers of years he spent in the service of Christ deserves some tribute as a memorial that we may frequently have our minds refreshed that men still live who are witnessed to the saving grace of the One who died for the sins of the world.
His age and afflictions caused him to suffer many weeks and days, but now he is gone-gone to the home of the redeemed and if we could call him back we would refrain -his joys and pleasures of the other world are our prayers.
Bro. Towery believed in the Bible as God's message revealed to the world. His faith was anchored in the Christ of the Bible. He believed in the blood to save from sin and spoke so often in his last days of the power of Christ to save sinners.
His faith in Christ as a Saviour bridged the chasm between this world and the one from whence no traveler has ever returned.
There seemed to be no fear of death before his eyes. He spoke at the end frequently and was conscious it was drawing near. The only regrets he expressed of leaving this world, was his home ties. He did not as those who have no hope, but retired in the arms of Jesus to wake in His likeness, in the home prepared by his Saviour. When the summons came he answered and we can only say good bye until we shall meet again where there will be no more sickness, nor sorrow, nor pain, nor separation, for former things will be passed away.
His pastor, C.R. Steward
Kirk, Texas, Jan. 4, 1915

JANUARY 15, 1915


The one year old child of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. McElreath, Mart route 4, died January 8, and was buried in Mart cemetery Saturday afternoon, Jan. 9, Rev. J. W. Mayfield officiating.


The 5-year old boy of Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Poole, died Friday morning, Jan. 8, of scarlet fever. Interment that afternoon in the Mart cemetery at 3 o'clock. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of all their friends.

JANUARY 22, 1915

 Mrs. Nora Martin McDonald, wife of Neil McDonald, Mart route 4, died at their home Wednesday morning, Jan. 20. Funeral services were held at the residence at 1:30 p.m., conducted by Rev. J. W. Mayfield of Mart. Interment made in Mart cemetery immediately following the funeral service.
Deceased leaves an infant child, besides her husband and a number of relatives who mourn her loss.
They have the sympathy of all their friends and acquaintances.

JANUARY 29, 1915


Mr. Richard Boykin, age 28, years, living at Watt, fell ill with pneumonia, Sunday and died Wednesday morning at 4 o'clock. He leaves a wife and 3 children.


Mrs. Mary Huttenlocher of Perry, died Tuesday morning, Jan. 19, and was buried the following morning in the St. Powell cemetery about 5 miles north of Marlin. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Jaworsky of Waco. Deceased recently moved from Mart where she had many friends who join in sympathy with the bereaved relatives over their loss.


Death claimed Mrs. Mary Winfrey Guynn, one of the oldest and most lovable women of Prairie Hill, Thursday evening at 7:15, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. R.F. Alexander.
Mrs. Guynn had been a sufferer for several years of the complications that accompany old age but had not been confined to her bed continuously until about ten days preceding her death. Death was due to bronchial pneumonia and old age. When the summons came, she was surrounded by her loved ones.


Keet McDade, aged 52 years, died at a hospital in Houston at 2:30 o'clock, Sunday afternoon. Death followed a paralytic stroke occurring about ten days ago. Slightly more than a year ago he had experienced a similar stroke while employed as chief clerk of the Sunset-Central railroad yard office. The funeral will be held at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon from the residence, 2013 Gentry street. Interment will take place in Hollywood Cemetery. Rev. J.O. Coppage will officiate.
The survivors are his widow, two sons, Keet McDade, Jr., and Geo. W. McDade of Houston; three daughters, Mrs. John Ed Punchard of Mart and Mrs. J. G. Le Gros and Miss Elizabeth McDade of Houston. Mr. McDade was born in Austin county and was educated at the Emory and Henry College of Virginia, where he joined the Kappa Sigma college fraternity. He was also a member of Popular Camp, Woodmen of the World. Mr. McDade was district clerk for ten years at Hempstead, Texas. He had resided in Houston for ten years.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.