McLennan County, Texas
July 1908

JULY 02, 1908


Enough has developed in connection with the killing of J. T. Goode on Thursday night near Ben Hur to establish it as one of the darkest and most brutal assassinations known to Texas criminology.
Three negroes are under arrest charged with the crime. Circumstantial evidence against one of these is very strong and the web of guilt is being more firmly drawn around him every hour, and its meshes may; involve others and disclose a conspiracy to take the life of Goode for which the law scarcely supplies adequate punishment.
The negro against whom the weight of suspicion rests is known as Joe. He worked for Goode and occupied a room in the house in which Goode and his wife and her child by a former marriage resided. This negro states that he was not awakened by the explosion of the gun, though it occurred in eight feet of him.
Following the tracks leading from the house toward a tank on the premises, the tank was dragged and a double barreled shotgun was brought to the surface. This gun had an empty shell in the righthand barrel, and showed that it had recently been discharged. The left barrel was loaded.
The shells were the same kind sold one of the negroes the day before by a merchant in Ben Hur. The gun was that stolen from a neighbor on the Sunday night before the killing. A pair of shoes that fits the tracks also fit the foot of Joe, and have been identified as his.
The three negroes were hung up but steadily refused to make any statement that would incriminate themselves but told conflicting stories.
Negro women around the place profess no knowledge of the matter, yet they tell things that look ugly. Another arrest is expected at any time.
The people are cool, but they are determined to ferret out the crime and run down the guilty parties regardless of who they may be.
Mrs. Goode was a widow when she married Mr. Goode in Fort Worth about two and a half years ago. The name of her first husband was Hyfield; her maiden name was Pearle Glasscock.

JULY 26, 1912


The death of Mrs. W. S. Mizell which occurred at the Moody Sanitarium in San Antonio Friday morning, was unexpected to many other Mart friends and relatives who had not realized that her condition was so serious. It brought sadness to numberless hearts who held the deceased in highest esteem for her friends were legion. Mrs. Mizell had a heart truly responsive to the needs of suffering humanity. There was no night to dark and stormy for her to heed the call for help and her willing hands came like a ministering angel to soothe and relieve the suffering ones while she lived. Her last days were full of suffering which she patiently endured to the end.
The body was brought to Mart from San Antonio, accompanied by the faithful husband and a daughter, Mrs. J. W. Thomas. The funeral services held at the Methodist Church 5 o'clock Saturday afternoon were deeply impressive and largely attended, showing the high esteem in which deceased was held by the community. Pastor Fort conducted the services paying a worthy tribute to the memory of the departed one and appealing to the living for a preparation for death, which is as sure as life is uncertain. He plead that sons and daughters should be faithful to their mothers while they are living, and repeated the testimony given him as her pastor by the deceased, that husband and children have been kind and faithful to her through all the trying days and years.
The body was tenderly laid to rest in Mart Cemetery. A bank of flowers brought by loving friends and sympathizers completely obscured the grave.
The ladies of the Woodman Circle of which the deceased had been a member, were present in a body.
Nothing could have been more beautiful than the sight presented when the Ladies of the Methodist Mission Society circled the grave with a wreath of roses, singing, "In the Sweet Bye and Bye"
It was no doubt such inspiration that caused the poet to write:
There is no Death! What seems so is transition.
This life of mortal breath
is but a suburb of the life elysian.
Whose portal we call Death,
She is not dead- the child of our affection
But goes unto that school
Where she no longer needs our protection
And Christ himself doth rule.
In the great closter's stillness and seclusion,
By gaurdians angels led,
Safe from temptation, safe from sins pollution
She lives, whom we call dead.

The honorary pallbearers were: Dr. E. L. Wedemeyer, A. P. Smyth, Dr. J. R. Gillam, Dr. M. L. Langford, J. E. Carroll and W. O. Sheely. The active pallbearers were L. W. Hillman, E. M. Parks, H. L. Hunter, G. M. Barnes, W. A. Lucas and J. L. Spencer.
Mrs. Mizell died at the age of 48 years. Besides her husband she leaves six children, Ray and Hardy Mizell, Miss Gertrude Mizell, Mrs. J.W. Thomas and Mrs. Joe Wayland of Mart, and Mrs. Chas Robinson of Tyler, all of whom were present at the funeral. There were also present Mrs. Dave Magee and J.O Ray of Waxahachie, a sister and a brother.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.