McLennan County, Texas
June 1914

Transcribed by Jane Combs and Bentley Hooks

Waco Daily Times Herald

June 1, 1914


This morning a telephone message was recieved by J. F. Wells, announcing the death in Palestine last night of Mrs. Mary A. Jackson, aged 76 years. The funeral will take place when the Houston and Texas Central reaches the union station, at 4:45 this afternoon. Rev. A. C. Chappell will conduct the services, and interment will be made at Oakwood.
Pall bearers selected are: N. S. Hill, Judge T. L. McCullough, John Sleeper, E. M. Ainsworth, F. A. Winchell, Wm. Lambdin, Judge D.A. Kelley and Sam Smith.
Mrs. Jackson was the widow of the late W. D. Jackson and she came to Waco from Cameron, in 1873. She left Waco about two years ago, to make her home with her daughters, Mrs. H.V. Hamilton, of Palestine, where her death occurred.
Something like two months ago Mrs. Jackson had a fall which resulted in breaking her left arm. Paralysis developed, and this, together with the infirmities due to old age, resulted in her death.
For many years, Mrs. Jackson had been a member of the Fifth Street Methodist Church, and her husband donated the land occupied by that edifice and the parsonage. She was especially well known to the older residents of this city, and she represented the highest type of Chritianity. Throughout the course of her life it seemed to afford her particular pleasure to minister to the wants of the distressed and afflicted, and her lengthy career was spent in doing good. Mrs. Jackson cared absolutely nothing for the praise of the world, content in doing the work of the Master, and in exemplifying , in her daily life, the Golden Rule.
Beside the daughter in Palestine, Mrs. Jackson is survived by three other children, Mrs. J. F. Wells, Waco; Mrs. G. Lamar Robinson, San Francisco; Gus B. Jackson, Winnepeg, Canada. She also has one brother, Lee Battle of Cameron. All these have the sincere sympathy of many friends.


Mrs. Edith Smith, aged 35, died at her home, 603 Turner street, early yesterday morning. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock, interment being made at Greenwood. She had been ill for some time. Her husband, W. T. Smith, and four children survive.


Hampton B. Smith, a resident of Waco for the past eleven years and prominently identified with the religious and philanthropic work of Second Presbyterian church, died at 6:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon at Providence sanitarium. Mr. Smith, who was 76 years of age, had been in failing health for more than a year. Until his health began to break, he was bookeeper in a local hotel, having taken that position when he first came here in 1903.
He was born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania. When he came to Waco, he affiliated with the Second Presbyterian Church and was made an elder. He was interested particularly in work among boys who were seeking educational advantages, and he was instrumental in doing much good among them. He is survived by one son, J. E. Smith of the Minneapolis Journal, by a brother at Mercer, Pa.; and two sisters at Marionville, Mo.
The funeral will be held from the Second Presbyterian Church this afternoon at 4 o'clock, Rev. J. J. Greer officiating. The deacons and elders of the church will be pall bearers as follows: R. A. Word, E. M. Ewing, J. C. Smith, S. Y. Lee, J. W. McLaren, W. R. Smith, William Fox, J. M. Clement, H. A. Bruyrere, P. A. Warren, J. H. Stribling and S. N. McLaren.


The funeral of Mrs. Marietta Odom, wife of Prof. I. N. Odom of Brook Avenue school, was held yesterday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock in Oak Lawn Cemetery. Mrs. Odom died at 11:30 o'clock Saturday night. She was 37 years of age. She moved to Texas with her husband from Tennessee fifteen years ago. After eight years in Dallas, they came to Waco, where Mr. Odom has been since employed in the Waco Public Schools. She is survived by her husband, two sons and one daughter. The pall bearers were J. C. Lattimore, J. B. Johnson, W. H. Pool, T. G. Martin, W. R. Marrs, and S. R. Spencer.


The body of Miss Jessie A. Harper, aged 20 years, who died yesterday afternoon at the home of her mother, Mrs. J. B. Harper, 1905 South Twelfth street, was taken this morning to Mart. Funeral services will be held in Mart Cemetery this afternoon at 3 o'clock. The body is in charge of Undertaker L. C. Puckett.

JUNE 2, 1914


Mrs. S. P. Gammons was shot and killed about 1 o'clock this afternoon at her home in the southern part of town. Her husband came out of the house a few minutes later with a shotgun and was arrested. He admits the shooting, but claims he was attempting to shoot his uncle, a blind man that lived with them, and that his wife got in the way and recieved the charge. The man has just been discharged from an insane asylum.


Rev. C. J. Tatum, pastor of Riverside church, Beaumont, who was shot and killed yesterday, an account of which was given by the Times-Herald yesterday afternoon, was a brother of Mrs. W. B. Brown, whose home is 1425 Summer street, Waco. Mrs. Brown received the sad news by telegram and left for Beaumont last night to attend the funeral, which will take place today.
Rev. Tatum formerly lived near Waco and was well known to many of the citizens of the city, as well as county, who will be sorry to learn of the sudden ending of his life, and also extend sincere sympathy to Mrs. Brown, his sister.


The home of Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Broadway, near Hewitt, was made sad at an early hour yesterday morning when death entered and claimed for its victim their fourteen-months old child.
Funeral took place yesterday afternoon at White Hall, conducted by Rev. A.M. Turner, pastor of Hewitt Methodist church. Mr. and Mrs. Broadway, the devoted parents of the dear child, have the sincere sympathy of hundreds of friends in this sad hour.

JUNE 3, 1914


Typhoid fever, which first manifested itself three weeks ago, resulted in the death yesterday afternoon at 5:45 of Albert Hudman Taylor, Jr. He died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hudman Taylor, 809 North Fifth Street.
The funeral will take place at 4 o'clock this afternoon from the family residence, Revs. F. C. McConnell and F. S. Groner officiating, and interment will be made at Oakwood. The active pall bearers have been selected from among his companions in the high school, as follows: C. W. Rhea, Curtis McClain, John Mayfield, Ben Lee Boynton, Oliver Winchell and George Lane.
Honorary: Asher Sanger, J. C. Daniel, T. F. Bryan, R. V. McLain, A. J. Flowers, S. R. Hankins and Judge J. N. Gallagher.
Hudman Taylor, Jr., was one of the most popular boys in the high school.
Of studious disposition, yet taking keen interest in all those activities that enter into the life of a healthy, care-free boy, he was, in every sense of the term, a manly boy, one in whom the most implicit confidence could be placed.
Young in years, Hudman Taylor, Jr., had already made a record of which many an older boy might have well felt proud. His progress in his studies had been most satisfactory and he gave promise of developing into man's estate under the most favorable conditions. He was one of the type of boy that intuitively won the commendation of his elders.
Some years ago the boy had an attack of meningitis, from which he recovered, as a result of the most careful nursing. Everything was done to save his life, when he was siezed recently by an attack of fever but the attention of the most skillful medical practitioners, the love and patient
watchfulness of devoted parents and friends proved unvailing to stay the approach of the grim reaper.
In the contest inaugerated by the Y.M.C.A. some time ago, Hudman won the prize, a free trip to the annual camp this month, offered by the local association, and he was anticipating this event with boyish eagerness.
Besides his parents, the boy is survived by one brother. These have the most sincere sympathy of a host of friends in their great bereavement.


 Remains of Miss Jessie Harper were given interment Monday

The death of Miss Jessie Harper occured at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 31, at the home of her mother, Mrs. J. R. Harper of Waco.
They had only recently moved from Mart to Waco, Miss Jessie being in a low state of health while here.
Deceased was beloved of all her associates, having a sweet and winsome disposition, pure in life and character, it was indeed a case of the good dying young. She was a patient sufferer and leaves a beautiful example of her sorrowing loved ones and friends, who grieve because of her loss.
The body was brought from Waco to Mart on the noon train today, and funeral services were conducted at 2 o'clock by her pastor, Rev. W. H. Howard, at the Methodist Church, where her membership remained. Interment was made in Mart cemetery following the services at the church.
The following were pall bearers: W. O. Sheely, J. C. Stauts, J. L. Spencer, Harley Huddleston, G. M. Barnes, and Charles Russell.
Besides the bereaved mother, Mrs. J. B. Harper, there were present at the funeral Mr. and Mrs. Charles Abbott of Fort Worth; George Harper, brother of Waco; Mrs. J. M. Bryant of Kosse; Mrs. Alice Kitchens of Dallas, Mrs. Griffin and daughters of Waco.


Telegrams were received here yesterday afternoon by Waco friends of  R. T. Crawford, a former prominent resident of this city, now living in Houston, telling of the death of his son there, the boy having been struck and killed by an automobile. From the Houston Post of today the following story is taken relative to the accident, the H. N. McAshan mentioned as having witnessed it being a brother of S. M. McAshan of Waco. "Murphy Crawford, 10-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. R. T. Crawford, St. James apartments, died in Westheimer's ambulance Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from injuries recieved when he was run over by an automobile driven by Frank M. Van Brunt, chauffer of Allen Paul. A charge of negligent homicide was placed against Van Brunt in Judge McDonald's court, and he was allowed bond in the sum of $2500, which he furnished. Several eye witnesses to the accident declared it was unavoidable.
"According to the stories told by those who saw the accident, the boy who had been playing ball on a vacant lot at Main and Lamar, had run out into the street to pick up the ball. His view of the approaching automobile being obstructed by an express wagon, the child ran out almost into the car.
Catching hold of the back of the express wagon, he attempted to check his speed, but slipped and fell, his body rolling under the passing car.
"According to one man who saw it, the right rear wheel of the automobile passed over the child's head, while another eye witness said that the wheel passed over his entire body. The base of his skull was fractured, his face was badly bruised and his left leg broken near the ankle. There were other bruises on his body, particularly on his chest, but no bones broken other than the left leg.
" H. N. McAshan, who witnessed the accident, said that the boy tried to get out of the way of the car after he had fallen under it, and that the accident probably would not have been as bad as it was had not the child in his efforts to get out, thrown himself directly under the wheel of the car, which was a big seven-passenger automobile, with several passengers."
The most sincere sympathy is expressed for the bereaved parents and the surviving brother and sister, the latter being well known in local social circles.

JUNE 4, 1914


Harvey C. Brazelton, aged 33, died in a local sanitarium this morning at 9:20, just as physicians were preparing to operate on him. His heart was weak, and he passed away before he had entirely succumbed to the anesthetic that was administered. He went to the sanitarium Tuesday, though he had been in ill health for several months. He was suffering from an abscess on the liver and complications.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, pending the arrival here of his brother, Oscar Brazelton, who is now at Paris. The funeral will probably take place tomorrow afternoon from the residence of his mother, 613 North Ninth street.
Harvey Brazelton was born and reared in this city, and he was well known in plumbing circles throughout the state. For a number of years he was in the plumbing business here, and after he retired, he was on the road for several years. He served in the Spanish-American war, and had visited the Phillippine islands twice.
The death of Harvey Brazelton comes as a very painful shock to a host of friends here and in other Texas cities. It was not thought that his illness had assumed a critical stage, and there was little reason for believing it would result fatally at the time he entered the sanitarium. Loyal and faithful to every task assigned him, Harvey Brazelton was always willing to make every sacrifice to accommodate his friends. He was greatly attached to his mother, the bond of affection between them being a striking manifestation of the love of mother and child. Harvey Brazelton could be relied on in any emergency as one who would do his duty as it was given him to see it.
Besides his mother here, Mrs. L. P. Brazelton, and the brother in Paris, he is survived by one sister, Mrs. O. B. Wiggins of Waco. These have the sincere sympathy of many in their great bereavement.

JUNE 5, 1914


Nathan Freeman, aged 43, died this morning at 2:15, at his home, 1404 North Sixth street. The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, services being conducted at the family residence by Rev. S. Levy. Interment was made at Hebrew Rest. The active pall bearers were: Dave Hawtof, F. Adelman, H. B. Cohen, I. Rosenberg, I. Goodman and N. Suravitz. Honorary: Ike Levy, A. H. Gans, J. Goldberg, L. Ginsberg, O. R. Senberg and Z. Hoppenstein.
Mr. Freeman had been ill since December 24 of last year, when a clot of blood formed on his brain. He had been critically ill since last Tuesday evening, a decided change for the worse becoming apparent at that time.
For nearly a quarter of a century Mr. Freeman had been a resident of this city, being one of the prominent Jewish merchants here. He gave careful attention to his business, attended strictly to his own affairs, never interfering with the concerns of his neighbors. Firm in his belief, his life was lived in accordance with his religious principles, and no member of the orthodox congregation here were more faithful or devout in his religious duties.
Besides his widow, he is survived by two children, Bessie and Ben. They have the sympathy of many in their great affliction.


With Revs. J. J. Grier and E. E. Ingram officiating, the funeral of Harvey C. Brazelton, who died yesterday morning, just as he was about to be operated on for an affection of the liver, took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the residence of his sister, Mrs. O. B. Wiggins, 1002 North Seventeenth Street. Interment was made at Oakwood.
The active pall bearers were O. R. Douglas, W. H. Wiggins, Walter Weaver, Ed Vance and Chester Wilkes.
Honorary: J. A. Mason, Mike Adam, J. J. Powers, H. M. Baine, Ed Bauerie and Albert Cowan.

JUNE 5, 1914


At 7 o'clock Sat. morning, death claimed little Phocian Park Johnson, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Johnson. The little fellow was barely four months old and has been ill for several weeks, but his loss is none the less a grief to his parents as every one knows who has had similar experience, and they have the sympathy of all their friends and acquaintances.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W.W. Sadler at the family residence on Emerson street, at 10 o'clock a.m., Sunday, May 31. Interment following in Mart Cemetery.

The death of Miss Jessie Harper occurred at 8:30 p.m. Sunday May 31, at the house of her mother Mrs. J. B. Harper in Waco.
They had only recently moved from Mart to Waco, Miss Jessie being in a low state of health while here. Her loved ones were hopeful that a change would prove beneficial but her condition grew worse and the dread pellagra claimed its victim. Deceased was beloved of all her associates, having a sweet and winsome disposition, pure in life and character, it was indeed a case of the good dying young. She was a patient sufferer and leaves a beautiful example to her sorrowing friends and loved ones, who grieve because of her loss.
The body was brought from Waco to Mart on the noon train Mon. and funeral services were conducted at 2 o'clock by her pastor, Rev. W. H. Howard at the Methodist church, where her membership has remained.
Interment was made in the Mart cemetery following the services at the church.
The following were pall bearers: W. O. Sheely, J. C. Stauts, J. L. Spencer, Harley Huddleston, G.M. Barnes, and Chas Russell.
Besides the bereaved mother, Mrs. J. B. Harper, there were present at the funeral Mr. and Mrs. Chas Abbott of Ft. Worth; Geo Harper, brother of Waco; Mrs. J. M. Bryant of Kosse, Mrs. Alice Kitchens of Dallas, Mrs. Griffin and daughter of Waco. Mrs. L. B. Graves of Mart and Mrs. Chas Abbott of Ft. Worth are surviving sisters of the deceased.
All the bereaved ones have the sympathy of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

JUNE 8, 1914


Charlie Girrard, aged about 21, was shot and instantly killed by his brother, Joe Girrard late last Saturday night. A charge from the shotgun entered the man's head, near the left temple, part of the head being torn away. The man who did the shooting was arrested soon after the killing, by Constable A. W. Russell of this place.
Joe Girrard claims self-defense, alleging that his brother had threatened his life and also that of his father. Charlie Girrard was killed on the place owned by his father, John Girrard, a mile and a half southeast of West.
Some time ago a suit was filed in the district court at Waco by Charlie Girrard, asking for a division of the estate left by his mother, at the time of her death.
The inquest was conducted by Justice J. M. Moore. The date for the examining trial of Joe Girrard has not yet been set.

JUNE 9, 1914


Mrs. S. E. Killion, aged 51, died last night at Gholson. The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, interment being made in the Gholson cemetery. She is survived by ten children.

JUNE 10, 1914


Ollie Black and Cleo Castleberry, the two little girls burned yesterday by a kerosene explosion at 1313 Mary street, died yesterday afternoon a few hours after the accident. Cleo, who was most badly burned, died at 4 o'clock. Ollie died at 5.
Mrs. Castleberry, who was prostrated by the accident and taken to Providence Sanitarium in a serious condition is slightly improved today. She was kept under the influence of opiates yesterday afternoon and last night. Mrs. Black stood the shock better, and sat up last night by the body of her child.
The little Black girl, previous to her death, talked of the accident, and explained how it occured. They had been left at home alone she said, and decided to cook something. They gathered some mullberries from a tree in a neighbors yard, and placed them on the stove. There was still a little fire in the stove. They placed wood on it, and decided to hasten the blaze by pouring on kerosene from a 5-gallon can standing near. While one held the stove-door open, the other poured the oil. The explosion which followed enveloped them both in flames. They ran into the yard blazing. Ollie was reached by Mrs. A. T. Chandler, who tore her clothes off her. Cleo was reached by her mother, but only after her clothing had been burnt entirely off. It was thought at first that Ollie's burns might not prove fatal, but she was unable to stand the shock, dying an hour after her younger playmate.
Their ages were given by their mothers as six and eight years.
The funeral of Cleo Castleberry was held this morning at the residence, 1313 Mary street. Services began at 10 o'clock under the direction of Rev. A. D. Porter, pastor of the Morrow Street Methodist Church. Burial was made at Oakwood.
The funeral of Ollie Black will be held tomorrow morning at 9:30 o'clock from the residence, No. 1309 Mary Street. Rev. F. S. Groner will have charge of the services, assisted by Rev. O. E. Bryan. Burial will be at Park Lawn Cemetery.


In a duel before the home of T. H. Lankford, one mile this side of Levi, Ferdie L. Oakes was killed yesterday afternoon about five o'clock. T. H. Lankford, his brother-in-law was arrested an hour later by Sheriff Fleming and Deputy Constable E. H. Smith. He is now in county jail charged with murder. His examining trial will be held Saturday, in Judge Richey's court. There was one eye witness to the duel, a neighbor named McMurtrey. He said he was 300 steps away when Oakes drove up in a buggy in front of Lankford's house. He heard a report and saw smoke coming from the buggy and from the porch of the house. It was stated by neighbors who reached the scene shortly afterwards that Oakes fired five shots from an automatic shotgun. Lankford is said to have used two shots from a double-barreled shotgun and then discarded it for a pistol. A pistol shot through the head was the cause of Oakes death. He is believed to have died immediately. He also recieved shotgun wounds in various parts of his body. Lankford was uninjured, except for a slight scratch from a shotgun pellet that struck his right hand.
Oakes was 34 years of age, Lankford a few years his senior. Neighbors state that Oakes went to Lankford's house yesterday morning and took his sister, Mrs. Lankford away with him. Oakes home is four miles east of Lorena. Oakes is survived by his wife and three children. His father, Newton B. Oakes lives in Waco at 2800 North Twenty-third Street.
Lankford has two brothers in McLennan County, J.A. and J. M. Lankford. J. A. Lankford lives at Spring Valley, J. M. Lankford in Waco. They were in conference with their brother at the jail this morning. They declined to make any statement whatever in regard to the shooting.
The funeral of Mr. Oakes will be held this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Methodist church in Rosenthal.

JUNE 12, 1914


Leslie Duncan is dead and Pendleton G. Midgett seriously injured as a result of a heavy automobile crashing thirty-five feet from a bridge on the Maple Avenue Rd. to the bottom of a creek. The dead man is said to have come from Waco, where he had been employed. The injured man is a real estate broker residing at 1605 Grand Avenue. He has a wife, who hurried to his beside at the city hospital. Duncan is said to have a brother, Henry Duncan, employed by an ice company at Waco, and a mother, Mrs. Nat  Duncan, living at Fort Worth. A sister, Miss Pauline Duncan, lives in Dallas, it is said. The accident occured about 9:15 o'clock last night.
The two men were in the car alone when it took its fatal fall to the narrow bottom of the creek's bed. According to the story told by some people who were the first to reach the wrecked car and its dead and injured passengers, the car had been moving at a great rate of speed, the witnesses claiming to have passed them just a very short time prior to the accident.  Moving on after they had passed the ill-fated car, they heard a crash and the cries of the men, and hastening to the scene, found the car a mass of wreckage and one of the men pinioned underneath it.
That Duncan was killed almost instantly was the belief of all who saw the wreckage. When his body was found it was lying a scant foot from the heavy body of the automobile. Apparently death had come from a broken neck and internal injuries. The injured man was underneath the car and had to be dragged from the heavy wreckage. He was hurried to the city hospital near by and given medical attention. Following investigation of his injuries, the doctors at the hospital said that he had suffered three broken ribs, internal injuries and a deep cut over the left eye. His injuries are not thought serious enough to necessarily prove fatal, but are serious enough to cause some fear to be expressed.
The first intimation that an accident had occured at the same spot where Dr. Tipton was killed and others of his party injuried some two months ago came to police headquarters. Answering the frenzied callof those who hastened to the scene just after the car fell from the bridge, Night Desk Sergeant Vaughan hastily dispatched the police ambulance, Henniger & Brewer's ambulance, and Cheif Ryan and Tanner to the scene. A record run was made to the accident's scene, but the injured man had already been taken to the city hospital before they arrived. The dead man was still lying where he met his death. They lifted him out of the creek bottom and took the body to Henninger-Brewer's undertaking parlors.
The car left the bridge at the left side, tearing its way through about twenty feet of railing and dropping over the edge to hurl itself against some iron girders, ending the fall at the bottom of the creek, estimated to be fully thirty-five feet from the bridge. The accident last night was at the opposite side of the bridge from where the fatal accident to Dr. Tipton occured. Maple road in that vicinity has a dangerous figure-eight bend, which is difficult of negotiation.
Last night from the city hospital Mrs. Midgett made a statement deeply deploring the accident and the death of Leslie Duncan. She said her husband had bought the automobile scarcely twenty-four hours before the time of the accident, and that he was not accustomed to driving a car before its purchase.
She said: " The car was a sixty-horse-power machine. Wednesday evening Mr. Midgett and myself went for a drive in it, Mr. Midgett driving it alone for the first time."
She said that her husband had not regained consciousness and consequently had not been able to make a statement. No arrangements as to the disposal of Duncan's body had been made at a late hour last night.
Resident of Waco
Leslie Duncan was a resident of Waco, for about three years, living at 209 North Eighth street. He left here the early part of 1914. While in this city, he was employed by the Big Four Ice Company. His home was originally in Fort Worth, where he is survived by a sister. He leaves a brother in Waco, Henry Duncan, who left for Dallas this morning at 8 o'clock to take charge of his brothers body.

McLennan Co., Texas Obituaires

Saturday, June 13, 1914

   Venganza Martinez, aged little more than a month, daughter of Mr.and Mrs. Leon C. Martinez, died at 4 o'clock this morning at the family residence, 522 North Second street.
   The child was born just two days before her brother, L. C. Martinez, Jr., was hanged at Pecos  for the murder of Miss Emma Brown.  The little one had never been strong, and the worry and strain under which the mother labored, due to the fact that her son was to be hanged, made the child's birth premature.
   Mrs. Martinez is able to be up now, though still very weak.  The father intends to bury the bodies  of both his children, his son and the baby girl, either at some place in  the state of Durango,  or else at Monterey.  He will wait until conditions in the neighboring republic are a bit more settled before the  date for interment is set.  As stated before, the body of the boy is here, having been brought to Waco soon after the hanging.

Saturday, June 13, 1914

   Mrs. Nancy Garrison, for over fifty years a resident of McLennan county, died at 7:20 last  night at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. L. L. Orelle, on the Dallas road, four miles north of Waco.  Mrs Garrison would have passed her eighty-fourth birthday on July 11.
   She is survived by eight children.  Her daughter, Mrs. Orelle, with whom Mrs. Garrison lived, is the only child living in McLennan County.  She is survived by a number of grandchildren in this county.
  Mrs. Garrison was married three times.  A daughter, Mrs. Annie Speegle, lives at Blue Rock Texas.  Two son's live in the state of Washington, Jim Garrison and Young Staton.  Tom Stewart, another son, lives in Burnett county.  Mrs. Lillie Smith, a daughter, lives in South Texas.
She also leaves a son in the Mexico.
   The funeral will be this afternoon at 4:30 o'clock from the residence of Mrs. Orelle.  Burial will be at  Greenwood cemetery.

Sunday, June, 14, 1914

   Mrs. J. R. Amiott of 1520 Barnard, was called to Oglesby yesterday morning by the death  of her mother, Mrs. J. T. Rogers.  The funeral will take place this afternoon, interment to be made in Post Oak cemetery near Oglesby.
   Mrs. Rogers had lived in Oglesby many years, being one of the very highly esteemed residents of that portion of Coryell county.  She had a large circle of friends and acquaintances.  Besides her husband, she is survived by four children.

Sunday, June 14, 1914

  J. F. Brooks, aged 73, died yesterday about noon, at his home, near Robinson.  The funeral will take place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, interment to be made in the cemetery at Robinson. Mr. Brooks had been a resident of the Robinson community for many years ane was well known throughout the county.  He is survived by his widow and three children.

Monday, June 15, 1914

   News was received here today of the sudden death at Bartlett, about 8 o'clock this morning,  of Mrs. Charles Bailey,  sister of Mrs. J. M. Witt,  Mrs. Sallie Thurman and Dr. W. S. Ferguson of Waco.  The two first named were with Mrs. Bailey when  the end came.  Mrs. Bailey was  one of the most prominent and universally esteemed women of Bartlett.  She was about 35 years old.  Her husband and four children, the youngest an infant, only a few days old, survive.

Tuesday, June 16, 1914

Estimable Woman Passed Away Sunday morning at West.
Times-Herald Correspondence
West, June 15-Mrs. Maude E. Gidney, wife of Dr. J. W. Gidney, died Sunday morning at 2 o'clock after ten days illnes, from an acute attack of memingitis.  Her case was given every attention possible from the best physicians, locally and from Waco and Temple, but to no avail.
   Mrs. Gidney was in her 40th year and had been a resident of West for 15 years.  She is survived by her husband, Dr. J. W. Gidney, and two children, her mother, Mrs. A. C. Mitchell, and brother, J. H. Mitchell, all of West, and a sister, Mrs. Hoxie of Electra, Texas.  Hers was a lovable Christian character.  She numbered her friends by her acquaintance.  She will be greatly missed in her home, her church and by many friends.
   The remains were tenderly laid to rest in Bold Springs cemetery Sunday afternoon, after a short  service by her pastor, Rev. W. T. Kinslow, in the presence of a large gathering of friends.  The mound was then buried beneath a bank of beautiful flowers in token of the love and respect in which she was held.

Tuesday, June 16, 1914

Aged Man Found by Police Near Second and Jackson-Succumbs to Loss of Blood.
  C. Van Dorne, aged sixty years, died in the police ambulance about 10 o'clock last night, just before it reached the Provident Sanitarium.  Twenty minuters before, the old man had been found by Deputy Constable E. H. Smith and Phil Hobbs, with knife wounds in half a dozen places about  his head and shoulders, one of them severing the jugular vein.  When he met the officers, he was driving in an old buggy from an alley on the South Second street between Jackson and Mary.
   He was too weak to do more than give the officers his name and say A negro woman stabbed me.
   A negro woman was arrested about midnight and locked up as a suspect.  No formal charge has been filed against her.
   The dead man was well known to police and business men on the square, having been a dealer in sacks and bottles for many years.  He lost left arm earlier in life, it being amputated near the elbow.
His body is being held by the John Fall Undertaking company to await findings in regard to his  relatives.  No arrangements have been made for the funeral.  An inquest was held by Judge  J. J. Padgett.

Wednesday, June 17, 1914

   Yesterday the body of John McGrath, aged 38, which has been held at the undertaking establishment of L. C. Puckett, since the date of death, October 18, last year, was buried at Greenwood cemetery.  The man was seized with a hemorrhage on Austin street, between Third  and Fourth and died enroute to Providence sanitarium.
   Mr. Puckett made every effort to communicate with supposed relatives of McGrath in Colorado and California, Missouri and Illinois, but he was never able to find any one related to McGrath, neither was it possible to locate any one that knew the man. It is understood that McGrath has a wife and two children, but their addresses were never ascertained by Mr. Puckett.

Friday, June 19, 1914

 C. L. West, Jr., infant son of  Mr. and Mrs. C. L. West, living at 692 Rusk street, East Waco, died this afternoon at 1 o'clock.  The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock, interment to be made at Oakwood.

Friday, June 19, 1914

Mrs. Mary Bowers, aged 37, died at 4:30 yesterday afternoon at her home, 916 Austin street.  She had been ill about a year.  The funeral arrangements have not been completed, pending advices from relatives.  She is survived by her husband, I. D. Bowers, and five children.

JUNE 19, 1914


The fourteen month old baby of R. M. Taylor, an employee of John Collins on the L. B. Hudson farm near Kirk, was fatally burned Monday afternoon by falling into hot ashes. A physician was summoned and the little sufferer did not rally from this influence of anesthetics administered during treatment.

Saturday, June 20, 1914

   News was received here this morning of the death at Junction City, Texas, last Thursday of  T. C. Tibbs, Jr.  The body will reach Waco tomorrow morning, accompanied by Mr. T. C. Tibbs, Sr. and her daughter, Mrs. Lida Robinson.  Funeral arrangements will not be made until that time.  This was the information contained in a dispatch from Wm. Winston of Rome, Ga.
   It was stated in the message that Mr. Tibbs had died rather suddenly.  He had been in ill health for some time, and had been in West Texas for the benefit of his health.
   Mr. Tibbs left Waco several years ago.  For awhile he lived in the east, and when he found that he could not stand the climate in that part of the country, he returned to Texas.  Born and reared in Waco, Tom Tibbs had a host of friends here.  Loyal and genrerous at all times to his friends, he would make any sacrifice to accommodate them or to render them a service.  He made a brave fight for life, but his constitution had become weakened by the disease from which he suffered, and the best medical aid proved unavailing.
The most sincere condolence is extended his mother and the other bereaved survivers.

Sunday, June 21, 1914

   It is expected that the funeral of  T. C. Tibbs, Jr., who died last Thursday to Texas City Junction, will take place this morning, from the John Fall Undertaking company, interment to be made at Oakwood.  Arrangements for the funeral were made yesterday by ex-Mayor
J. H Mackey, a close personal friend of the Tibbs' family.  Mrs. T. C. Tibbs, Sr., and her daughter, Mrs. Lida Robinson, are due here this morning on the Cotton Belt train, coming from Rome, Ga.
   As stated in the Times-Herald yesterday. The decedent was the son of the late Major T. C. Tibbs, one of the pioneer business men of the city, and for so many years alderman in the City council from the first ward.

Transcribed by Bentley Hooks


Former Waco Resident Died at Riesel This Morning

    Mrs. P. E Hunter, aged 63, died this morning at 12:40 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nettie Kilpatrick, Riesel. The funeral took place this afternoon at 2 o'clock, from the residence of County Commissioner and Mrs. J. N. Boyd, 1204 North Twelfth street, Rev. Hewing of Riesel officiating. Interment was made at White Rock cemetery.
    The pallbearers were: George W. Tilley, Joe Johnson, John Reed, Howard Sanger, W. Henry, and J. Watson.
    Mrs. Hunter had lived at Riesel for the past year, and she was a resident of this city for about ten years, having many friends and acquaintances in this city. She is survived by the following children: E. R. and W. M. Connor, Waco; J. E. Connor, Marlin; H. H. Connor, Mangum, Okla., Mrs. Nettie Kilpatrick, Riesel, and Mrs. Mary Easterling, Talladega, Ala. These have the sincere sympathy of many in their great bereavement.



    With Rabbi I. Warsaw officiating, the funeral of Mrs. Minna Friedlander, who died yesterday afternoon at 2:35, will take place at 4 o'clock this afternoon from the family residence, 1703 Franklin street. Interment will be made at Hebrew Rest.
    The pallbearers are: H.S. Long, Mose Friedman, N.D. Naman, H. Mayer and Dr. P.R. Hengst.
    At the time of her death Mrs. Friedlander was 51 years old, and she had been a resident of this city nearly 30 years, coming to Waco from San Antonio, in 1885. She was born in San Antonio and came here from that city.
    For nearly two years Mrs. Friedlander had been in ill health, and she was able to leave her home for the last time on Febrary 22 of this year. More than a week ago her illness assumed the acute stage, and attending physicians announced several days ago that there was no hope for her recovery.
    The death of Mrs. Friedlander brings sincere sorrow and regret to a host of friends of the family, not only here, but in many other parts of the state. Mrs. Friedlander was a devout and most consistent member of Congregation Rodef Sholom, and her children were reared and carefully trained in the manner that always denotes the path of duty which the conscientious mother marks out for herself. There was no one who found greater pleasure or happiness in the companionship of her family than this truly good woman, and her life was an inspiration to others. In times of distress and affliction the counsel and advice of Mrs. Friedlander were invariably sought by her friends. Her genuine sympathy, her kindly deeds, her loving tenderness, all these were foremost in a life well spent, a life of service for others, rich in sacrifice, teeming with acts of benevolence, characterized, in every instance by a studious avoidance of publicity, performed quietly and unostentatiously, with no hope of reward, save to please the Master and to exemplify the golden rule.
    Mrs. Friedlander is survived by six children, three daughters and three sons. Mrs. Blanche Friedlander, Mrs. Eli Marks, Miss Rose Friedlander, Isadore, Simon and Leon Friedlander. She also has one brother and two sisters, Abe Frank of Waco, Miss Pauline Frank, Waco, and Mrs. Morris Schoenfeld, Tyler. All these have the loving sympathy of many in their great bereavement.

   Funeral of Belton Pioneer

    The funeral of Col. J. L. Wilson of Belton, who died in that city last Wednesday, took place yesterday and was largely attended. Colonel Wilson was one of the pioneer settlers of Bell county, having lived in the same house at Belton for more than thirty years. During the war between the states he served in the Confederate army. He is survived by his widow, three sons, and a daughter. Colonel Wilson was a brother-in-law of J. R. Railey of Waco.

 Mrs. Della Lewis Dead

    Mrs. Della Lewis, aged 43, died this morning at 12:15 in a local sanitarium, where she had been since last Tuesday. The remains were prepared for burial and will be shipped tonight to Talpa, Texas, for interment, by Undertaker L. C. Puckett. Mrs. Lewis had been ill for nearly a year. She was reared in Falls county, having many friends in that county. Besdides her husband, J. C. Lewis, she is survived by seven children.



Pioneer Citizen Passed Away Early Today- Had Lived Here Nearly Half Century

    Walter S. Plunkett, aged 69, died this morning at his home, 916 Columbus street. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock, services to be conducted at the family residence, Rev. W.P. Witsell, rector of St. Paul's Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made at Oakwood.
    The active pall bearers selected are: T.J. Primm, R.L. Cartwright, John B. McNamara, Lee Richards, W.S. Gillespie, Sam Keeble.
    Honorary: J. McCune, W.T. Robinson, Jim Anderson, James B. Baker, H.B. Mistrot, Robert Frazier.
   About two years ago, Mr. Plunkett had a stroke of paralysis, from which he never recovered. He had virtually been an invalid since that time. Several weeks ago, his condition became very serious, and the absent children were summoned.
    Born at St. Augustine, December 31, 1844, when Texas was a republic, Walter Plunkett came to Waco in 1867, two years after the close of the civil war, and he had been a resident of Waco for 47 years. At one time he was a printer on the old Waco Examiner, and in 1877 he engaged in the grocery business here with Bart Moore, the firm being known as Moore and Plunkett. When the late Mayor C.C. McCulloch conducted a grocery store on Austin street, at a place now occupied by the retail store of Sanger Bros. [Fourth & Austin], Mr. Plunkett employed as a salesman, remaining there for many years. For the last few years, up to the time his health began to fail, Mr. Plunkett was employed by J.P. Carpenter, corner Third and Austin streets.
    No one here was more familiar or better posted relative to Waco's growth than the pioneer citizen who passed away early this morning. He had watched with interest and pride Waco's development, from a village to a wide-awake, progressive city, and his remembrance of interesting events of by-gone days which he recalled with the greatest ease and familiarity, has delighted hundreds.
    Among Walter Plunkett's many noble attributes, none was more prominent than his faithfulness and devotion to duty. No task, no matter how trivial it might have been, was to him unimportant, and he gave to each the fullest measure of conscientious and painstaking care. He was ever loyal to his friends, and he gave cheerfully of his means, time and efforts to accomodate them. His life was filled with good deeds, each of these being rendered in quiet and unostentatious manner. Walter Plunkett never tried to get in the limelight. He was ever ready to serve others; for himself, he asked nothing in return.
    Mr. Plunkett was one of the oldest volunteer fireman here, and for twelve years he served as president of the Waco Fire department. This was the designation given the man at the head of the department in the early days. He was also a very prominent Odd Fellow, at one time he held the highest office in the Grand Encampment, that of chief patriarch. This was in 1890.
    Enlisting as a drummer boy in the Confederate army in General Waterhouse's brigade, Mr. Plunkett served throughout the civil war with bravery and distinction.
    Besides his widow, Mr. Plunkett is survived by the following children: Lewin Plunkett of Dallas, Mrs. Dr. George Red of Houston, Mrs. G.E Cranz of Fort Worth and Mrs. B.N. Dean of Waco. He also has four brothers: Tom O. Plunkett of Atlanta, Ga.; Frank Plunkett of Cleburne; Will Plunkett of Chalk Bluff and Riley Plunkett of Little Rock, Ark. All these have the sincere sympathy of many.

 Funeral of Mrs. Friedlander

    The funeral of Mrs. Minna Friedlander took place yesterday afternoon from the family residence, corner Seventeenth and Franklin. Following the brief but very impressive service by Rabbi I. Warsaw, the remains were interred in Hebrew Rest. Many gathered to pay a last tribute of respect to the memory of this universally beloved woman, and the floral tributes were numerous and of exquisite beauty.

 Burial Sunday of John Foulks

    The funeral of J. O. Foulks, aged 22, killed by a train at Pendleton, Ore., on Friday night of last week, will take place tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock, services to be conducted in the mortuary chapel of the John Fall Undertaking company, by the Loyal Order of Moose, of which decedent was a member. Interment will be made at Oakwood.



    Attempting to swim a hundred yards across the Blue Hole, near Walker's Crossing, where he was setting a trot line, Eugene K. Minor, negro, 26 years old, was drowned yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock.
    J.T. Mains, a white man, was near the negro when he drowned, and attempted to rescue him. The two had been setting a trot line in a leaky boat. The boat had sunk with them near the bank a short while before. They pulled it out, turned the water out of it, and placed it back in the river, but decided it was unsafe for both of them to ride in it. The negro then volunteered to swim across, said Mr. Mains, while the latter took the boat over. The negro said, "It's no swim at all across there", and started with overalls and an undershirt on.
    Mr. Mains, reaching the other side in the boat, was working on the trot line when the negro called for help. He was then about twenty yards away. Mr. Mains was unable to swim out at once, having on his shoes and all other clothes. But he pushed the boat to the spot where the negro was struggling. The negro had gone under once when the boat passed him, and was unable to catch it. The water where he went down was twelve feet deep and very swift.
    About an hour later, the body was recovered by Josh Friday, a negro preacher. It had been carried upstream and across the river by a heavy undertow. Deputy Sheriff John Morgan went to the spot to assist in the search.
    J. Frank Elder, J.T. Mains, Jr., and others had just encamped near the "Blue Hole" when Minor was drowned. The negro was taken along as cook for the party. He is the son of Amy Minor, who lives near Sixth and Indiana.


 Death at Georgetown

    R. L. Galloway of Mart passed through the city last night en route to Georgetown to attend the funeral of W.H. Eanes, whose death occurred yesterday. Mr. Eanes was a brother of Dr. W. H. Eanes of Waco, and had been tax collector of Williamson county for many years. He was very well known in the community in which he resided, and his demise is regretted by a host of friends.


    Arrangements for the funeral of Mrs. Helen Hutto, aged 70, who died very suddenly about noon yesterday, while en route to Hallsburg, on an International and Great Northern passenger train, were made last night. The body was removed from the undertaking establishment of F.M. Compton, where it was taken soon after death, to the family residence, 517 Turner street, where services will be conducted this afternoon at 4:30. Rev. H.D. Knickerbocker will officiate, assisted by Revs. P.H. Faulk and J.J. Creed. Interment will be made at Oakwood.
    The pall bearers selected are: Dr. W.E. Hall, J.J. Twaddell, S.M. Kirkpatrick, Eugene Barton, G.H. Wiebusch, Sr., and Mr. House [no other name/initials].
    Instructions to bury Mrs. Hutto were received from her brother Charles Allen, of Hornell, N.Y.
    Mrs. Hutto, who went to Dr. Hall's farm at Hallsburg last Tuesday returned to Waco early yesterday morning to confer with a physician. She was not feeling well when she left the Hall home, but when Dr. Hall suggested that his daughter accompany Mrs. Hutto to Waco, the latter said she believed she could make the trip alone. As was stated in these columns yesterday, she fainted just as she was about to boatrd the train at the depot, about noon yesterday, and she was in a dying condition before the train had proceeded 100 yards from the union station, dissolution occurring just as the train backed in front of the depot, in order that she might be removed and given medical attention.

 Death of Joe L. Wilson

    Belton, Texas, June 26 -- At his home in this city Wednesday afternoon, Joe L. Wilson, who has been a resident of this city for forty-five years or more, died after an illness extending over two or more years. He was engaged in the hardware business in this city for more than twenty-five years. The funeral took place Thursday afternoon by the Masons, the Belton commandery acting as an escort.

 Funeral Today of W. S. Plunkett

    The funeral of W. S. Plunkett, mention of whose death was made in yesterday's Times-Herald, takes place this afternoon at 4 o'clock, services to be conducted at the family residence, 916 Columbus street, by Rev. W.P. Witsell. Interment will be made at Oak Lawn. [? - Oakwood previously mentioned]


 Killed in Quarrel Over Dollar Loan in Gambling Game

    Quarreling over the loan of a dollar in a "coon can" game yesterday afternoon caused the death of Ed Bivens, a negro aged 24. He was killed with a twelve gauge, single barrelled shotgun by George Harrison, another negro, according to the latter's statement to Waco officers. Harris [yep!] stated that a number of negroes were gambling under a shed on the farm of E.H. Crook on Bullhide Creek, fifteen miles south of Waco; that Bivens, who was losing, asked Harris for a dollar; that Harris told him he did not have it; that Bivens began to abuse him, and he answered with similar talk; that they both started to the house a short distance away for the shotgun, Harris reaching it first; that Bivens stood a short distance away and continued to threaten and abuse Harrison [yep!] and that the latter shot him. Bivens was killed instantly, shot striking him in the face and breast.
    Constable Leslie Stegall, Deputy Constable Phil Hobbs and Deputy Sheriff Joe Roberts went to the scene and arrested Harris. He is charged in Judge Richey's court with murder and his examining trial set for Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

 Grim Reaper Claims Baby

    The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom W. Shields, Adelaide Frances, died yesterday afternoon at 2:30, at the home of Mrs. Shield's parents, Dr. and Mrs. T.R. Baldwin, corner Eleventh and Morrow streets. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 4 o'clock, interment to be made in Holy Cross cemetery.
    Pall bearers selected are: Earl Walker, Walter Klentzmann, Jarvis Fields and Herbert Harlow.
    The child died on its birthday, lacking just three hours of being a year old at the time of dissolution. While the baby had been sick for a few weeks, the little one was able to play with its toys Saturday morning. The same afternoon its condition became serious, and though all the love and attention of idolizing parents, and the watchful care of physicians were exerted in its behalf, their efforts proved unavailable. The baby had just reached the age when her cute ways and childish prattle gave joy unmeasured to her parents.
    The most sincere sympathy of many is tendered to Mr. and Mrs. Shields in their great bereavement resulting from the death of their only child.


   Cortege Headed by Fire Chief Prescott
    With Rev. W. P. Witsell officiating, the funeral of Walter S. Plunkett took place yesterday afternoon from the family residence, 916 Columbus street, interment being made at Oak Lawn. The cortege was led by Fire Chief A.M. Prescott in his car, followed by the hook and ladder truck. Mr. Plunkett, for twelve years, was at the head of the local fire department. Many friends of this revered citizen attended the obsequies, and numerous beautiul floral tributes adorned the grave.

 Burial Mrs. Hutto

    The funeral of Mrs. Helen Hutto took place yesterday afternoon from the family residence, 517 Turner street, East Waco, Rev. H.D. Knickerbocker officiating, assisted by Revs. Faulk and Creed. The sudden death of Mrs. Hutto on a train here last Saturday morning brought sincere sorrow and regret to many friends. The funeral was largely attended.



 Man Who Slew Boggs Says Latter Attacked His Sister

    Winfield Boggs, aged about 34, is dead, and a complaint, charging murder, has been filed against his brother-in-law,
C.A. Crum, aged 26, in Justice J.J. Padgett's court. The defendant has been allowed bond in the sum of $500, to await the result of his examining trial, set for Monday, July 6, at 2 p.m., the hearing to take place before Judge Padgett.
    Shortly after 8 o'clock last night Crum shot and killed Boggs, the killing taking place at the dairy of C.T. McCoy, Thirty-eighth and Washington streets. Immediately after the shooting, Crum, who was employed by Mr. McCoy, for two months, but who had resigned after familiarizing Boggs with the duties he had performed, telephoned his former employer, telling him of the trouble. Mr. McCoy communicated with Sheriff S.S. Fleming, at Crum's request, and he and Mr. Fleming went to the scene in an auto. They met Crum and his sister, at Thirty-third and Austin, and Crum formally surrendered to Mr. Fleming. He and Mrs. Boggs accompanied the officer and Mr. McCoy to the place where Boggs was killed.
    One shot from a 38 Colt's pistol entered Boggs' breast, just a little to the left of center, while another bullet tore away the top of his head. Crum told Mr. Fleming that Boggs was attempting to throw his sister downstairs, when he, Crum, shot and killed him. The first shot, he said, entered Boggs' breast, but failed to stop him, and the second shot penetrated the head. Either wound would have produced death.
    Crum and his sister returned to the McCoy place, earlier in the evening, Mrs. Boggs having gone to town, where she met her brother. It was also stated that he had attacked her before she left the place, and her face was bruised and discolored. Mrs. Boggs and her brother declared that practically all her clothing had been burned by Boggs.
    The body of the dead man was removed to the L.C. Puckett undertaking establishment and prepared for burial, after the remains had been viewed by Justice Puckett.
    Boggs' father, mother and brother live at Hillsboro. They have been communicated with, and funeral arrangements will be made later.

   Typhoid Proves Fatal

    The funeral of Luther E. Goff, aged 26, who died yesterday afternoon in a sanitarium here, took place this morning at 10:30, from the home of his sister, Mrs. Zim Trout, 821 Earl strret, East Waco, interment being made at Greenwood, Rev. P.H. Faulk officiated. Typhoid fever was the cause of death. He had been in the employ of the Southern Traction company as motorman, having a run on the Waco-Dallas interurban. His mother, five brothers and six sisters survive.

Saturday, June 30, 1914

   Mrs. T. H. Baxley, aged 61, died last night at 611 South Fourth street, where she was rooming with Mrs. Charles W. Lane.  Mrs. Baxley was a resident of Tyler, having been in Waco about three weeks.  She has two cousins in this city, J. F. Baugh and M. C. Baugh.  Her husband arrived from Tyler this morning and will take the body to Tyler tonight.  Funeral services will be held in Tyler tomorrow afternoon.  Mrs. Baxley is survived by three sons, one in Houston, one in Nacogdoches and one in Tyler.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.