McLennan County, Texas
November 1906

Transcribed by Amanda Sipes

Waco Daily Times Herald
November 1, 1906

 Mrs. Temple Morrow, aged 25 years, died this morning at 9:30 o'clock at the residence, 1101 Washington Street, after an illness lasting some time, though she has been acutely ill for only about a week.
     Mrs. Morrow has not been a resident of Waco long, having come here from Quanah with her husband, who accepted a responsible position with William Cameron & Co., several weeks ago. She has however; been here long enough to make some devoted friends, for she was a woman of a lovely Christian character, kind and gentle, and performing well the duties of life, making the lot of ethers easier and bettering the world about her. She drew people to her instinctively, and the friendships formed will not be severed by the placing of the clods above the remains, but the little children who are left will be remembered with a large measure of the love and affection borne the Christian mother, while the sorrowing husband will feel that he has the tender sympathy of the community. The family claimed the highest esteem of the people of Quanah, and the same is true of the brief stay in Waco. Mr. Morrow is a cousin of City Passenger Agent William A. Morrow of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad here.
     There will be a brief service this afternoon at 4 o'clock from the residence, where the remains will be taken to the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas depot and sent to Quanah for interment. Rev. C. R. Wright, pastor of Austin Avenue Methodist Church will conduct the service and the following will act as pallbearers: J. F. Farmer, W. J. Odell, C. A. Kelly, D. D. Fairchild, J. H. Mackey and E. M. Ainsworth.
     Mrs. M. E. Morrow, mother of Temple Morrow, and Mrs. Carl, mother of Mrs. Morrow also Mrs. Lasster of Guthrie, Texas, a sister of Mrs. Morrow, are here to attend the funeral.

Waco Daily Times Herald
November 1, 1906
Farmer Living Near Mart Ran Over Today By Passenger Train on I. & G. N.

     News reached here this morning of a most horrible accident one mile south of Mart and about twenty-one miles south of here, in which  Charles Schroeder, a farmer, lost his life, his team being killed and his wagon splintered.
     The man was in a wagon on his way to Mart, and while crossing the international and Great Northern Railway at what is known as the Grohoski wagon road crossing he was run into by the northbound passenger train, pulled by Engineer James Wilcox. The wagon was knocked into kindling wood, the team killed, and the driver Mr. Schroeder killed. He received only one blow, that being in the back of the head, and the concussion from this produced almost instant death.
     The train was stopped and the man taken to Mart where he was identified by a number of Mart people. His family were at once notified of the death and the remains were given over to them.
     Mr. Schroeder lived on the Grohoski farm, one mile south from Mart, and had started to Mart early this morning. It is supposed that in crossing the track the team became unmanageable and could not be driven further. There is somewhat of a dump where the wagon road crosses the railway track and some seem think that the team had perhaps balked and could not be forced to move in time to keep  from being knocked off the track. Another supposition is that his driver has stopped his team for some purpose not knowing of the approach of the train.
     Engineer Wilcox, who was at the throttle is one of the oldest engineers on the road, and has always been regarded as one of the safest men. He gave the usual signals, and supposed the man would drive off, and was too near the man to stop the train when he realized the driver and the team did not leave the track.
     Deceased is a farmer about middle aged and is well known in the portion of the county in which he resided. He lived in Falls County, just a short distance from the McLennan county line, and the accident in which he lost his life was only a short distance form the county line. He leaves a wife and children.     

Waco Daily Times Herald
November 2,1906
The Victim Was J. B. Harper and Not Chares Schroeder  
Times-Herald Correspondence

Mart, Tex. Nov. 1.  Mr. J. B. Harper, not Schroeder, a farmer living on the Heaton Ranch, a mile and a half southwest from Mart, was killed, and was also his team, while crossing the railroad track, one mile south of town, this morning, the north bound passenger train running into his team and wagon. Mr. Harper was bringing cotton into town. Your correspondent could not learn all the particulars. Mr. Harper was a good man, a splendid citizen and was very much liked by all of our people, he having lived here and in Limestone County for many years. He was a brother in law to Mr. Jeff Bryant, manager of the Heaton ranch, and as lived in the Mart county for some years, coming here from Kosse and Big Hill, Limestone County.   

Waco Daily Times Herald
November 2, 1906

     A telegram was this morning received by W. S. Gillespie telling of the death last night, in Elkton, KY. of  Mrs. E. E. Ingram, wife of Rev. E. E. Ingram, pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church here. The telegram was as follows:
Elkton, Ky. Nov. 2,1906
W. S. Gillespie Waco, Texas
Mrs. Ingram passed peacefully away
at 8 last night. Interment here tomorrow afternoon.
Mrs. Ingram leaves three little boys besides her husband, and was a woman who was loved by all who knew her. She has been at many different places in the past year or two, in the hope of being restored to health, but all in vain. There has been anxiety here, as it was feared she could not recover. The congregation was faithful to the pastor, who had been faithful to them, and assisted him in every possible manner while he labored beneath the shadow of the oncoming sorrow. He will have the heartfelt sympathy of hundreds of people here. The family of Mrs. Ingram live din Elkton and that was why she went to that place when it became evident that there was no hope.
It is understood that Rev. Mr. Ingram will return to Waco in a short time to take up his work again.  

Waco Daily Times Herald
November 3, 1906
German Farmer Mortally Wounded By A Tenant After A Quarrel
Times-Herald Special

      Mart, Tex. Nov. 1-This morning at 9 o'clock Mr. Vitticoe, a prosperotan German farmer, living three miles south of Mart in Limestone County, was in ridden with bullets and is now in a dying condition. The shots were fired by J. R. Barfield, a tenant on Mr. Vitticoe's place, and Mr. Barfield has gone to Groesbeck to surrender to the Limestone County officers.
     The trouble came up; according to statements made on an account of a disagreement between the landlord and tenant as to the division of the crop.
     The two men met at Mr. Vitticoe's barn, which was used jointly by the two men, and afterwards passed it reclaimed that Mr. Barfield began shooting, using a pistol until it was emptied and then grabbed his shotgun and emptied both barrels into the landlord. Barfield claims that he never made a move until Mr. Vitticoe started toward him with a pitchfork, and then pulled his pistol and began to shoot. He claims that Mr. Vitticoe continued to advance and when he had emptied his pistol that he grabbed his shotgun and the last shot he fired the landlord fell mortally wounded.
     Mr. Vitticoe made a dying statement to the effect that after a few words Mr. Barfield began shooting at him with a pistol and he ran until he got into the barn. That after he had gotten inside of the barn he was begging for his life when Barfield opened fire with a shotgun, shooting the first time through a crack. He claims that Barfield then came in the barn and shot him the last time.
     Drs. Carpenter of Mart and Beard of Otto are in attendance upon Mr. Vitticoe, and both say that he cannot live. Both men are well known and have families.

NOVEMBER 05, 1906


There was a fatal shooting on the  J. H. T. Hunter farm, about five miles from Lorena and in the Spring Valley neighborhood, about 3 a.m. yesterday. The victim was Bidal Salazar and he was shot with a pistol, the ball entering his left arm, going into his body, ranging downward and piercing the heart.  Domingo, alias Sanda Artego, who is still at large, is said to have done the shooting .  All parties are Mexican. The story as gathered from the officer this morning seems to be about as follows:
For some time Mr. Hunter, who has a very large farm and a big acreage of cotton, has had quite a number of Mexicans on his place gathering the crop and the crowd included deceased and family and Artego.  Saturday night the Mexicans had a dance and a regular pow-wow and jubilation generally. Some time after 1 or 2 o'clock Salazer went out into the yard and entered a tent , where he retired, leaving his guests to the care of his son, wife and daughter.  Some time after he had retired, the gathering became very noisy owing to the fact that to much mescali and other intoxicating beverages had been indulged, and it looked as if there would be a general row.  Artego went out into the yard and proceeded, it is said, to fire off his six-shooter. When this occurred, Tufilo remonstrated and told him he must desist. Artego was not willing to do so,  and said as much in no uncertain tones. It is said he then turned upon young Salazar, apparently with the intention of shooting him. Just as this juncture, however, the elder Salazar , who had been awakened by the shooting, ran out of the tent to ascertain the cause of the trouble.  He ran towards the men and, as Artego fired, the ball struck the older man, killing him instantly.  
Artego then lost no time in making his escape and up until this afternoon, has not been apprehended, though Sheriff Tilley with confident with the information he has that a capture will soon be effected.
Although the killing occurred about 3 o'clock yesterday morning, officers here were not notified until nearly noon yesterday. Sheriff Tilley and Justice of the Peace Tom Dillworth repaired at once to the scene. The body of the dead man had not been moved from the place where it had fell, the officers say, and a most pitiful spectacle presented itself. The wife was sitting on the ground, holding her husband's head in her lap, while the daughter, a pretty girl of about 16 years sat at his side, both evidently having been there for twelve hours. They had wept until they could weep no longer, and were completely prostrated. They were tenderly led from the scene, after which the inquest was immediately held.
Justice Dillworth's verdict was that “deceased came to his death from a pistol wound, said weapon having been in the hands of Sanda Artego.”

NOVEMBER 06, 1906


Roy Lucille, the 6- year old daughter of  Mr. and Mrs. Dan L. Nicholson, died at the home No. 800 South Sixteenth street, last night soon after 9 o'clock. She had been in ill health for some time, but her death which was unexpected came as a great shock to the family, and their friends throughout the city will extend them sincere and loving sympathy. The little one was unusually bright, and was a flood of sunshine in the home at all times. She was a favorite with all, and her cheerful and happy manner was frequently commented upon by those who knew her.  Her little playmates were especially fond of the little girl and during her illness all have hoped and believed that she would recover. Her death will be a blow to the many friends, and will be deeply mourned.
The funeral will take place this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock from the family residence.

NOVEMBER 07, 1906


Isadore Sleeper, aged 5 years, the child of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Sleeper of the Indian Territory, died at 7 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the residence of Charles Evans, corner of Thirteenth and Morrow streets, from diptheria.
The family had come to Waco on a visit and this sad termination will will the hearts of friends and relatives with sadness for the joy of the family had been turned into grief, and their happiness in seeing relatives and friends has been embittered by the cup, which has been pressed to their lips.
The funeral will be held at 3:30 this afternoon from the residence of Mr. Lewis, interment at Oakwood cemetery.


 George Molloy Munnerlyn, aged 1 year, 2 months and 27 days, child of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Munnerlyn, died this morning at 2:40 at their home on the extension of South Third street.  It had only been sick for a few days, and all that loving friends could do to relieve the little one was done, but fell asleep to awaken in the heaven.
This is the only child and the parents are heart broken over the loss of their baby.
The many friends of the family will sympathize with them in this their great affliction.
The funeral services will be from the family residence tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. C.R. Wright, assisted by Revs. R.E. Smith and Ingrani officiating.  Interment at Oakwood cemetery.


 Reuben Charles, the 2-months old child of Mr. J.D. Moore, died at his home 610 South Tenth street. The services will be this morning at 10 a.m. and the remains will be sent to Eddy for interment.
Its mother died only a few weeks ago and the friends of Mr. Moore sympathizes with him over the loss of his wife and child.

NOVEMBER 08, 1906


 Mr. J. H. Lindsay, formerly a resident of Groesbeck later of Plano, died in that city Saturday afternoon, at 2:20 o'clock, at the ripe old age of 91 years. Mr. Lindsay was very feeble for a number of years, having suffered a great deal with rehumatism, which together with his extreme age, made it quite difficult for him to get about, but through it all he maintained a cheerful disposition and it was always pleasant to be in his company. We are informed that he was sick for a few weeks before the end came, which was sudden, and the result of a heart failure. The remains were brought to Groesbeck on the noon train, Monday, accompanied by his bereaved widow, daughter and grandchildren, and buried in the Faulkenberry cemetery, under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity of which order he had been a long and faithful member. He is survived by his widow and two daughters, Mrs. J.M. Stroud of Ft. Parker and Mrs. Horton of Plano, with whom he lived at the time of his death, and several grandchildren.

NOVEMBER 12, 1906


 Miss Mary Smith, daughter of C.T. Smith, age 18 years, died near Bosqueville at an early hour this morning after an illness of some duration. She was an excellent young lady and had many friends in the city who will be saddened by news of her death.
The funeral will be from her home and interment in Greenwood cemetery at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

NOVEMBER 14, 1906


 Richard L. Marsh, son of R.B. Marsh, died at the family home, No. 610 Elm street, East Waco last night.  His death will be learned with much regret by those who knew him for he was quite popular, and was highly respected by all who knew him.
Deceased was taken ill last week with an acute attack of pneumonia and notwithstanding everything possible was done for him, he grew from bad to worse, until last night at 8 o'clock when he passed away. He was 25 years of age and resided with his parents. He had been the right hand man of his father in conducting the business in East Waco. His sterling integrity, thrift, enterprise and good nature made him a general favorite and his death will be a severe blow to all of his friends.
The parents have the tender and loving sympathy of all of their friends in their great bereavement.
The funeral occurred this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence, Dr. E.W. Ingram officiating, the interment being at Oakwood cemetery.

NOVEMBER 16, 1906


Hewitt, Tx.--The remains of  Mrs. I.H. Earle, wife of Major Earle, who died at the family home early Tuesday morning were laid to rest in Oakwood cemetery at Waco yesterday afternoon, the funeral exercises having been held at the residence at 10 o'clock in the morning,
Rev. B.C. Williams conducting the services. A large crowd of sympathetic friends and neighbors drove from Hewitt to Waco to pay the last sad respects to a noble woman and many citizens of Waco joined the procession when it reached the city. The procession indeed, was quite a large one as Mrs. Earle had so long been a resident of this county that she numbered her friends by the hundreds, aside from the extensive number of relations.
For forty years she had resided about a mile south of this place, and during that time had continued to make friends and indulge in good works until she had endeared herself to every one with whom she came in contact.  She was 62 years old at the time of her death.  The floral tributes that were brought and sent to lay upon the new made grave yesterday, served as a slight token indicating the number of her friends and how kindly they felt towards her.  When all the flowers had been properly placed the mound which marks Mrs. Earle's last resting place was a veritable flower bower, and the incense arising there from was truly characteristic of the sweet kindly life she lived.  For years she had been a devout Christian and with that same faith by which she lived, she passed away.
Deceased is survived by her faithful husband, Major I.H. Earle, Misses Addie Wells and Eliza Earle, both of whom reside here, Miss Hallie Earle, who is in Dallas at present, and Sam Earle, who is making his home in California.  She was also the mother of Mrs. John H. Harrison, Jr., who died but a few months ago.
The sorrowing relatives and immediate family are consoled by the knowledge that they have, in their hour of deep affliction, the heartfelt sympathy of a legion of sincere friends.

NOVEMBER 23, 1906


Yesterday morning about five o'clock, Miss Georgia Howard, of Prairie Hill, died from the effects of burns received Wednesday.
Definite particulars are unobtainable.
But she was the teacher of the school at Mustang, a small place near Delia, and it seems that at the noon hour Wednesday, she and the larger pupils attempted to burn the tall grass which covered the school ground, and that the fire soon got beyond control. In her frantic efforts to stop it she received the injuries which caused her death.
She was about 23 years of age, a popular young lady and a daughter of J. B. Howard, formerly a well known citizen of Prairie Hill, but now living in New Mexico.
She was a sister of Mrs. E.L. Hunt of Mart, who, of course, went to her aid as soon as possible and with the best of medical skills and the aid of loving friends did all that could be done to restore her, but alas! 'twas in vain, and as first noted, her sweet young life was snuffed out, her spirit joined the waiting throng and her frail, blistered body lies beside that of her long since departed mother in the Prairie Hill cemetery.
Telegrams were sent to her father but he could not reach here in time for the funeral and it is presumed will not now come.


Mr. D. L. McDonald, tax-assessor and collector of Mexia, died very suddenly Monday afternoon, after having spent a busy day in his daily calling. He went home as usual and entered the house, fell over on the bed and was dead in a few moments. The cause of death was given as heart failure. Mr. McDonald was a prominent business man of Mexia and his death is a shock to his many friends throughout this section of the country.
He was prominent in lodge work, being an active member of several lodges.
He is survived by a wife and several children to whom the sympathy of a large circle of friends is extended.

NOVEMBER 30, 1906

The home of the  Rev. Mr. Barron, of Prairie Hill, has been saddened by the death of one of his children from tonsillitis; while two others are quite ill with the same disease. The Herald joins the many friends of the family in extending heartfelt sympathy.


 J. B. Howard, father of Miss Georgia Howard, mention of whose tragic death was made in the Herald last week, reached Mart Saturday, but too late for the funeral. He did not know of the death of his daughter until he reached Waco, as he left his home in Lake Arthur, New Mexico on the first train after receiving the message that Miss Georgia had been burned, but before word could be sent that she was dead. He was accompanied by his daughter, Mrs. Ira Beasley, and followed by his son, W.H. Howard. They have the sincere sympathy of a large circle of old friends and acquaintances.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.