McLennan County, Texas
October 1914

Transcribed by Jane Combs, Barbara Davidson, M K Popp and Amanda Sipes

Waco Daily Times Herald
Friday, October 2, 1914

Accorded full Masonic honors, the funeral of J. K. Street, veteran journalist, who was found dead yesterday morning, at the home of W.A. Poage, in North Waco, took place this morning, services being conducted in the mortuary (sp) chapel of Undertaker L. G. Puckett by Rev. A. C. Chappell, and the Masons had charge at the grave. Interment was made in the Odd Fellows’ cemetery, Mr. Street being laid to rest beside the grave of his wife.
The pall bearers were selected from among the Masons, as follows: W. J. Dorsett, O.C. Griffin, R. L Hatton, J. L. Prince, J. W. Brown and W. D. Hudgins.
The sudden and unexpected death of Mr. Street caused the most sincere regret here, where he had a host of friends.

Friday, October 2, 1914

Had Charge of Moody Postoffice 15 Years and Had Lived There Quarter of Century
W. J. Gilmore, aged 62, postmaster at Moody for about 15 years, died this morning at 11.55 at his home, 719 North Fourteenth street. The remains will be shipped tonight by Undertaker L. C. Puckett to Moody for interment, which will take place there tomorrow. Mr. Gilmore moved to Waco from Moody about eight months ago. He had been in ill health for the past seven months, and had been confined to his room for the past two months.
Born in Kentucky, Mr. Gilmore came to Moody a quarter of a century ago, and he was one of the best known residents of that part of McLennan county, in addition to being one of the most highly esteemed citizens of that place. During the many years he served as postmaster, he gave universal satisfaction to the patrons of his office and the general public. He was always found most courteous and obliging, and the affairs of his office were always in such splendid shape as to win for him the most generous approbation, whenever an inspection was made.
Of most kind and generous disposition, Mr. Gilmore endeavored himself to all with whom he came in contact. He was big of stature and big of heart, and his best efforts were ever in evidence, in behalf of his friends, regardless of the personal sacrifice involved. Mr. Gilmore never sought praise for himself, preferring that his kindly deeds and his many acts of benevolence should speak for themselves. His liberality and generosity in all things were only a few of his many commendable traits.
Besides his widow, Mr. Gilmore is survived by the following children: Mrs. Eaton Williams, Mrs. Bess Anderson and Blaine Gilmore, Waco; Miss Helen, Carl, Clay and Bruce Gilmore and Mrs. J. A. Phillips, Moody; Mrs. Taylor Knight, Forth Worth. These have the sincere sympathy of many in their great bereavement. Miss Helen Gilmore is now assistant postmaster at Moody.
Mr. Gilmore was a prominent Odd Fellow, and members of this order will very likely take part in the funeral at Moody tomorrow. Rev. O. C. Hightower will conduct the services.

Saturday, October 3, 1914

 Nanette Guy, infant of Mr. and Mrs. Cliff Guy, died this morning at 2:45 at the residence, 913 Clay street. The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 o’clock, interment being made at Holy Cross.

Monday, October 5, 1914

Word Was received in Waco yesterday that John B. Anderson, aged 70, real estate dealer of Waco, is dead in Little Rock, Ark. Owing to indefinite statements regarding the cause of his death, an investigation has been started by the sheriff’s department, but no results have yet been reached.
Anderson left Waco Wednesday for Little Rock, having a few days previously signed a will drawn up at his order by F. H. Kingsbury. Yesterday a telegram was received at his residence here that he had died as the result of injuries received in Crittenden county, Arkansas. The body was held by a Little Rock undertaking company until instructions were sent that it be shipped to the L. S. Puckett company of Waco.
Anderson lived at the home of L.S. Chiles, 1114 North Fourth street. He came to Waco from St. Louis about seven years ago.
Fleming’s Telegram Answered.
In answer to a telegram sent yesterday, Sheriff Fleming today received a telegram from Sheriff W. G. Hutton of Little Rock. It state that Mr. Anderson was killed on a railroad in Crittenden county, under peculiar circumstances. The detective of the road is making a full investigation.
Detailed information will be forwarded later.

Tuesday, October 6, 1914

Leaves Note to Mother Giving Reasons For Act
Had Told Girl and Boy Friends Jokingly That She Intended Suicide – Funeral Today.
Anna Lee Moody, aged 16, died last night two hours after she had swallowed a small bottle of carbolic acid.
The following note was taken from the pocket of her jacket:
Waco, Texas. October 5, 1914
Dear Mother:
I cannot find work and it seems as if we will starve, so I had rather take my life.
Please don’t grieve so hard over my death. It seems as if I haven’t a friend in the world. You have not spoken a kind word to me in so long. I can stand it not longer. My life has been a burden to you ever since my father died.
After I am dead you will have my insurance to live on and you can take care of sister. I know I will perish in hell, but I can’t live here on earth in peace, so I leave my love with you and all my friends that claim to be my friends.
I will die with father’s picture in my hand so please lay me down to rest by his side with his picture clasped in my hands. Your death-craving daughter.
Anna Lee Moody lived with her mother at the residence of Mrs. G. D. Dillard, 7272 South Sixth street.
It was stated by the police that the conditions stated in the girl’s letter regarding threatened starvation and cruel treatment were apparently imaginary, and due to her melancholy state of mind.
At the time she took the poison, she was at her home with a friend, Ora Lard of 1415 South Ninth. The two girls had been to town to buy the acid, and had told a number of boys, jokingly, that Anna Lee was going to kill herself. While Ora went out for a drink of water, Anna Lee took the poison. Ora coming back and finding her drinking it, attempted to stop her but it was to late.
Physicians were summoned but they were unable to save the girl’s life. She became unconscious after a few minutes, and died within two hours.
Her mother is employed at a local laundry.
The funeral will be this afternoon at 4 o’clock, from the residence. Rev. Tom Chester of the Pentecostal church will officiate.

Thursday, October 8, 1914

Stricken With Paralysis on Train from Mineral Wells to Harlingen.
L. S. Ross, aged about 40, son of the late Gov. L. S. Ross, died at 1 o’clock this morning in Houston. The remains will arrive here tomorrow morning and funeral services will be conducted at 3 p. m. Friday from the residence of his brother, H. B. Ross, 528 Sedwick street. Interment will be made in Oakwood. Rev. C. T. Caldwell will very likely officiate. The pallbearers selected are: Shel Sparks, John W. Baker, James Hayes Quarles, W. H. Jones, Charles E. Moore and Henry Munnerlyn.
Mr. Ross was stricken with paralysis yesterday afternoon while enroute from Mineral Wells to Harlingen, it being his intention to stop over in Houston for a while. He had been in ill heath for some time.
At the time of his death Mr. Ross was president of one of the banks at Harlingen, and he was one of the very prominent men in Southwest Texas. Born and reared in this city, he went to Austin with his father when the latter was elected governor. He later returned to Waco, and was engaged in the wholesale grocery business for some time. He was also in the insurance business here at one time.
Mr. Ross is well known to the old time residents of this city. He was a man of his word in every instance, one that could be relied on implicitly in connection with any statement he might make. He was loyal to his friends and associates, and his uniform courtesy and kindness to all endeared him to many. It has been about ten years since Mr. Ross lived here.
Besides his widow, he is survived by three brothers and two sisters. H. B. and N. P. Ross of Waco, Dr. Frank R. Ross of Houston. Mrs. H. H. Harrington of Kingsville and Mrs. Frank Clark of Fort Worth.

Friday, October 9, 1914

Had Lived Here About Ten Years and Was Councilor for State Medical Association.
Dr. John M. McCutchan, aged 42 years, passed away at 11:30 THIS MORNING AT providence sanitarium, an affection of the kidneys resulting in his death. An operation performed a week ago last Monday failed to effect the desired relief, and Dr. McCutchan has been in a critical condition for the past few days. It was known last knight that his death of a question of only a few hours.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed and it is not known whether Interment will take place here or whether the body will be sent to Temple for burial.
Dr. McCutchan was born at Burton, Texas on August 6, 1873, and he came to Waco, from Temple, about ten years ago. He had not been here long before he became known as a very skilled medical practitioner, and he built up a very large practice in Waco and adjoining cities in Central Texas. He retired from general practice in January 1912. To become assistant medical director of the Amicable Life Insurance company, which position was tendered him by Dr. G. B. Foscue, then medical director for the company. Dr. McCutchan continued as assistant medical director for the Amicable up to the time of his death.
There are few physicians here who had a larger acquaintanceship or more friends, considering the length of time he had lived in Waco, than Dr. McCutchan. He was devoted to his profession, was a careful, painstaking student and generally beloved as a medical adviser by his many patients, so long as he remained in active practice. His death today has caused general and widespread regret, not only in this city, but in Temple other places throughout the state, where he was so well and so favorably known.
Dr. McCutchan was prominently identified with the State Medical association, having been a member of the board of councilors for two years.
Besides his widow, Dr. McCutchan is survived by a three-year-old daughter and three brothers and two sisters, C. A. McCutchan, Brownwood; W. R. McCutchan, Hallettsville; J. O. McCutchan, Memphis, Tex (note from typist – it does say Memphis Tex) Mrs. T. J. Awald and Miss Gertrude McCutchan, Burton, Tex. These have the sincere sympathy of many in their great bereavement.

Friday, October 9, 1914

With Rev. F. N. Calvin officiating, the funeral of J. B. Anderson who met violent death in Crittenden county, Ark., took place this morning at 10 o’clock, service being conducted in the mortuary chapel of Undertake L. C. Puckett, by Rev. F. N. Calvin. Interment was made at Park Lawn.
Among those who called to view the remains this morning was Anderson’s first wife, Mrs. Ana Anderson, who now lives on Fifteenth and Bagby, who according to her statement this morning, was married to Anderson in New York in 1869 and who continued to live with him until December 17 of last year, when she filed for divorce.
The dead man, according to his first wife, was 77 years old, and they came from St. Louis to Waco six years ago last March.
As already stated in these columns, Mrs. J. B. Anderson No 2, who was formerly Mrs. Melissa T. Vaughn, and who was married to Anderson on May 14 of this year, is now under arrest in Little Rock charged with the murder of her husband.

Friday, October 9, 1914

Yesterday afternoon Justice J. J. Padgett completed the inquest to determine the cause of the death of Motorman T. A. Pyles, who died last Monday night. He announced that his verdict would be that Pyles came to his death as a result of injuries received when he was struck by an automobile last Sunday night, in front of the Southern Traction company’s office, driven by J. S. McClintock.
So far no complaint of any kind has been filed against Mr. McClintock. The matter is now under advisement by the county attorney’s department, and a decision will soon be reached.

Saturday, October 10, 1914

A meeting of the McLennan County Medical society was held this morning on account of the death of Dr. J. M. McCutchan, and resolutions of commemoration adopted. These will be published in Sunday’s papers.
There was a large attendance of Waco physicians, most of who expressed themselves feelingly in regard to Dr. McCutchan’s death.
The funeral of Dr. J. M. McCutchan, who died yesterday, will be held this afternoon at 3:30 o’clock from the residence, 2518 Colcord. Rev W. B. Andrews will officiate. The following are the pall bearers:
Active Dr. W. W. Witte, Dr. John McCelvey, Dr. John L. Davis, Dr. J. H. Harvey, E. B. Baker, Leslie Gardner
Honorary Dr. G. B. Foscue, Dr. M.M. Lanham, Dr. O. V. Hale, R. G. Wendland, A. R. Roberts, John A. Freeman, Dr. John I. Burgess, Dr. Doyle Eastland.

Saturday, October 10, 1914

Prominent and Wealthy East Texas Resident Passed Away at Nacogdoches.
This afternoon Layton C. Puckett received a telegram telling of the death at Nacogdoches this morning of Colonel E. A. Blount, well known here, and an uncle of Mrs. Puckett. Colonel Blount, who was about 63 years old, was also a brother of Mrs. J. B. Holmes of this city. She returned only yesterday from a visit to her brother, and had scarcely arrived home before she was again summoned to his bedside. She left for Nacogdoches last evening.
Colonel Blount, besides being one of the pioneer residents of Eastern Texas, was also one of the wealthiest. At one time he was the owner of extensive property interest here, having purchased from Alfred Abeel little more than eighty-five feet at the southeast corner of Austin and Sixth streets. He later disposed of this to Edward Rotan and others making a considerable profit on his investment.
IN this city Colonel Blount had a host of friends who learn of his death with the most sincere regret. He is survived by his widow, one daughter and three sons. Colonel Blount’s father was the last signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

Saturday October 10, 1914

Long Sing, a Chinaman, aged 50, died this morning at 7:30 at 104 South Second streets. The funeral took place this afternoon at 2 o’clock form the John Fall Undertaking company, and interment was made in the Chinamen’s lot at First Street cemetery. The dead man had been ill for some time, death resulting from tuberculosis.
It was customary, in the past, for the Chinese colony here to have rather elaborate services when any member of their race died, but this, in recent years, has been greatly curtailed.
Long Sing was engaged in the restaurant business here, and had lived here quite some a while.

Waco Daily Times Herald

Oct 11, 1914

Times-Herald Special.
Riesel, Tex., Oct. 10, --Fred Holze, aged 33, was found dead at the home of his parents, who live at Stamp, six miles southeast of Riesel, at 3 o'clock this afternoon.  He had a bullet wound in his head, and a shotgun was found near his side.  It is believed the weapon was accidentally discharged, death resulting instantly.

Robert Columbus Johnson Attended to Grave by Pat Cleburne Camp.
The funeral of Robert Columbus Johnson, aged 67 years, who died yesterday morning, was held yesterday morning at the residence, 110 Lelia Street.
Five of his seven sons and one of his two daughters were present at the funeral services, the other three children being prevented from attending.  His sons are Frank of Martindale, John of Gonzales, Aquilla and Clyde of Houston, G. W. and P. D. of Waco, and Robert C. Jr.  The daughters are Mrs. E. M. Blair of Houston and Mrs. J. R. Spencer Jr. of Waco.  His wife survives him.
Mr. Johnson was a Confederate veteran, a member of the Fifty-first Alabama cavalry.  He was born at White Plains, Ala.
The funeral services were held under the direction of Pat Cleburne camp, burial on the camp lot in Oakwood.  This makes the seventeenth Confederate buried on the lot.
Rev. Ashley C. Chappell officiated at the funeral.

Oct 12, 1914

Miss Willie Arendale, aged 18, dies of typhoid fever late last night at the home of her parents, Mr. And Mrs. E. B. Arendale, 905 South Seventh street.  The funeral was held this morning at 10 o'clock from the residence, Rev. F. C. McConnell and Rev. O. E. Bryan officiating.  Burial was at Oakwood.  The following were the pallbearers:  Earl Davis, James Davis, G. K. Smith, Lee Jones, Albert Bland and Albert Lattimore.  Miss Arendale came to Waco from Tyler with her parents four years ago.

Mrs. Minna Adam, aged 69, died this morning at 2:45 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. Rubin, at 605 North Thirteenth street, after an illness of about two weeks, Mrs. Adam having suffered a stroke of paralysis about that time, from which she never rallied.  The dissolution came very peacefully, the deceased passing away in peaceful repose.
Mrs. Adam was born in Konitz, Germany, January 10, 1846, came to this country in early life and has resided in Waco over a quarter of a century.  She was very popular with all who knew her and while never desiring notoriety, yet her life was filled with good deeds, and there is no doubt a crown of glory awaits her on the other side.  A daughter, Mrs. J. Rubin, and three grand children, Goldie, Gus and Harry Rosenthal, survive, and to these the sincere sympathy of many friends go out.
The funeral will take place at 3 p. m. tomorrow from the family residence, 605 North Thirteenth, with interment at Hebrew Rest.

Oct 13, 1914

Marcus C. Abernathy, aged 26, died in the Cotton Belt hospital at 3:10 yesterday afternoon.  The body will arrive here tonight, and the funeral will take place tomorrow at 2 p. m. from the residence of Mr. And Mrs. A. J. Matthews, parents of Mrs. Abernathy, who lives at 1509 North Eleventh street.  Interment will be made at Oakwood and Rev. J. J. Creed will officiate.
Mr. Abernathy had been in the hospital at Texarkana for the past three weeks.  It is understood that his death resulted from a hemorrhage of the lungs, and dissolution was expected 24 hours preceding his death.
Born in Tennessee, Mr. Abernathy had lived here practically all his life.  He was in the employ of the Cotton Belt here as fireman for about five years.  He was very highly esteemed by his fellow workmen and by a host of friends.  Besides his widow and one child, he is survived by his parents, Mr. And Mrs. Dave Abernathy, a sister, Mrs. Callie Varuer, and a brother, W. R. Abernathy of this city.  He also has a brother in San Angelo and a sister in Shreveport.  These have the sympathy of many in their great bereavement.

Charles Mayr, aged 53, died this afternoon at 1:30, at his home, 1900 South Twelfth street.  The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock from the family residence, interment to be made at Oakwood, Rev. W. W. Melton officiating.  Death was due to a general breakdown, decedent having been in ill health for the past six or eight months.
Had he lived until next month, Mr. Mayr would have been a resident of Waco 36 years.  He was well known here, especially among the older inhabitants, and he was most highly respected and esteemed.  His many sterling traits, his loyalty to his friends and his uniform courtesy endeared him to all.
He is survived by his widow, four children, two brothers and one sister.  The condolence of many is tendered them.

Delbert Hay, aged 2 years and 9 months, died this morning at 9 o'clock at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. G. D. Hay, 1516 Chandler street, North Waco.  It has not yet been decided whether the funeral will take place here or whether the body will be shipped to Eddy.

Oct 16, 1914

Walter Weihs, aged 28, died yesterday at Sherman from the result of a gunshot wound accidentally received while hunting.  Mr. Weihs was formerly a resident of Waco, but moved to Sherman several years ago with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Weihs.
Information regarding his death was received here yesterday by his grandmother, Mrs. Kate Weibusch.  The funeral will be held today in Sherman.

Program Arranged for the Occasion.  Crosses of Honor Will Be Presented by the U. D. C.
Next Sunday afternoon, beginning at 3 o'clock, memorial services will be conducted at Pat Cleburne camp, for the sixteen members of that organization who have been called to their reward during the past year.  The following official call has been issued for the meeting:
Attention, Confederate Veterans:  Members of Pat Cleburne Camp No. 222, United Confederate Veterans, are hereby notified to attend the regular monthly meeting of the camp at the armory of Company K on Sunday, October 18, at 3 p. m.
Memorial services will be held for all comrades who have dies since our last memorial day, in October, 1913,  Our loss has been heavy, sixteen comrades having passed to the great beyond.  We earnestly urge every member of the camp and the relatives and friends of our departed comrades to meet with us.  An appropriate program has been prepared by our chaplain, Comrade William Lambdin, assisted to the Daughters of the Confederacy, who will take part in the exercises.
Mary West Chapter U. D. C. will bestow crosses of honor on veterans who have applied for same.  The Daughters of the Confederacy, all visiting comrades and the public generally are invited to meet with us.
GUS H. WEST, Commander.
Pleasing Program.
The program arranged by Mr. Lambdin and the Daughters of the Confederacy follows:
Opening Hymn..................”Sweet Bye and Bye.”
Invocation.........................Rev. A. D. Porter
Duet, “O Morning Land”...Mrs. J. T. Strain, Mrs. D. A. Kelley
Memorial Address..............Capt. John C. West.
Brief impromptu addresses by Comrades.
Violin Solo........................Prof. [?] W. Krause[?]
Reading..........................Mrs. J. Arch Gamell
Hymn,.............................”God Be With You Till We Meet Again.”
Mortuary Roll.
Roll of members of Pat Cleburne Camp No. 222, U. C. V., who have died from October 18, 1913 to October 18, 1914:
Sam R. Evans, Co. G, Sixth Texas Cavalry; R. B. Wilson, Co. F, Eighth Mississippi Rangers; Henry B. Heath, Co. F, Eighth Mississippi Infantry; Dr. J. T. Parker, Co. A, Twelfth South Carolina Infantry; Stephen N. Price, Co. F, Fifteenth Arkansas Infantry; Davis B. Gurley, A. A. General Ross Brigade; S. A. Wood, Co. D, Twenty-second South Carolina Infantry; Alexander Turner, Co. C, Twenty-seventh Louisiana Infantry; James E. Hutto, Co. H, Cook's Heavy Artillery; W. C. Dodson, Pr. C. C., Fortieth Alabama Infantry, Commissary Captain Staff General Fergus; John S. Pinkston, Co. F, Eighteenth Mississippi Infantry; W. T. McClatchey, Lieutenant Co, K, Ninth Texas Cavalry; J. T. Hughston, Co. K, Eighteenth Alabama Infantry; Henry C. Smith, Co. G, Twenty-fifth Arkansas Infantry; Robert C. Johnson, Co. D, Fifty-first Alabama Cavalry.

OCTOBER 16, 1914


Bessie May Douglass, age 16, daughter of Mrs. W.T. Douglass, died at her home in Mart at 10:15 p.m., Oct. 14, after a lingering illness of many months.
Deceased was a victim of tubercular trouble for which every relief possible was sought with the hope of her restoration to health, without avail.
Loving hand ministered to every need of the patient suffering whose young life was to the home as a sweet flower that bloomed and faded, but to blossom in eternity.
Funeral services were conducted at the home Thursday morning at nine o'clock by Pastor W.H. Howard of the Methodist church, following which the body was carried throught the county for interment in the cemetery at Waco.

Oct. 20, 1914

The third victim of the Katy wreck at Bartlett, early yesterday morning, when the northbound Flyer was derailed, B. F. Campbell, who lived here, died yesterday afternoon.  The funeral will take place at Italy.
A pathetic feature in connection with Mr. Campbell's death was the fact that he died before his wife could reach Temple, where he was taken soon after the accident.  It was her intention to make the trip to Temple at noon yesterday, on the southbound limited.  That train was three hours late, and some of the employees at Bellmead secured an automobile for Mrs. Campbell and the lady who went with her, Mrs. Dennison.  It is understood that Mr. Campbell passed away before his wife left here.
Besides his widow Mr. Campbell is survived by one child.  He had been in the employ of the Katy since 1908, and was very highly esteemed by the officials of the road and his fellow workmen.

Fatal Accident Near Eighteenth and Jackson Streets Yesterday Afternoon.
Injuries received at 3:30 yesterday afternoon, at about Eighteenth and Jackson streets, when he was struck by a Katy passenger train, resulted in the death at the Katy depot here, fifteen minutes late of Ben Cox, aged 53, a painter.  The train that struck Cox was Nos 6 and 2, consolidated, some of the cars of which were in the wreck at Bartlett yesterday morning being included in the equipment.
Cox was going south on the track as the train approached the city.  Just as soon as possible the train was stopped, Cox was placed aboard the train and brought here, dying just as the train reached the station.
Cox's right leg was broken below the knee, and he also had a cut on the top of his head, the body being badly bruised.  The man make his home with his half-sister, Mrs. Ed Dunn, who lives at 312 Webster street.
The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 0'clock, services being conducted in the mortuary chapel of Undertaker F. M Compton.  Rev. O. E. Bryan officiated, and interment was made at Park Lawn.
Besides his half-sister here, Cox's stepmother lives in Dallas.  He has three half-sisters in the same place.  Another half-sister lives at Louisville, Ky., and he has a half-brother at Winnsboro.
Yesterday afternoon as inquest was conducted by Justice J. J. Padgett, the testimony of the train crew being secured at that time.

 Death of Miss Hoven.
Miss Bessie Hoven, aged 23, died last night at 8:30, at 2525 Asbury street, North Waco.  The remains will be shipped in the morning to Clifton by Undertaker F. M. Compton, and interment will be made in that city tomorrow afternoon.  Miss Hoven had been in ill health quite a while.  She is survived by four brothers and two sister, who live here, C. A., A. H., Martin and Ole Hoven, Mrs. A. F. Casey and Mrs. W. W. Dodson.

Wednesday  Oct. 21, 1914


Alf Moses,  proprietor of the Guarantee Light and Supply company, 309 Austin avenue, died this morning in Dallas, after an illness of several weeks. Mr. Moses was 66 years of age.  He had formerly lived in Dallas,  but since opening the Guarantee Company here ten years ago,  had spent most of his time in Waco.  He  was taken ill while in Dallas early in October.  He is survived by one daughter in New Orleans, one in Ardmore,  two sons and two daughters in Dallas.

A telegram received today by Lee Williamson, Manager of the Guarantee company, states the funeral will be held Thursday in Dallas.

Friday  Oct. 21, 1914


Louis Kolber, aged 42, died at 3 o'clock this morning at his home, 225 North Fourth street.  He became sick yesterday evening about 6 o'clock, death resulting from apoplexy.  The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, interment being made in  Hebrew Rest.

Mr. Kolber, who was engaged in  the mercantile business here, had been a resident of Waco about four years.  He was very highly esteemed by numerous friends and acquaintances.  Besides his widow, he is survived by seven children and four sisters, Mrs. J. S. Cohen of Waco, another in Chicago and two in  Germany.

Saturday Oct. 24, 1914


The funeral of William Floyd, White Hall farmer, who committed suicide yesterday afternoon, was held this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the residence of his sister, Mrs. T. G. Martin, 1817 South Tenth street.  Burial was at Park Lawn cemetery.

In addition to his immediate family consisting of his wife and four children, Mr. Floyd is survived by his sister Mrs.Martin, a sister in Rome, Ga., Mrs. J. T. Payne, and two brothers, R. L. and T. S. of Oklahoma, and his father, T. R. Floyd, of  Thackerville, Okla.

Saturday Oct 24, 1914


W. K. Smith, aged 75, died this morning at 1:35 at his residence, 2001 South Seventh street.  He was seized with a stroke of apoplexy while in the business district last Tuesday morning and never rallied.

The body will be taken to Milano this afternoon in charge of the Puckett Undertaking company.  The funeral will be held at Milano.

Mr. Smith served throughout the civil war in the Confederate army. He is survived by a brother and two sons in Collins county near McKinney.

Saturday Oct. 24, 1914


J. W. Jackson, aged 62, died this morning at 3:10 o'clock,at his residence on the Watt place, three miles west of Waco on the Old McGregor road.  Mr. Jackson had lived in McLennan county near Waco for thirty-eight years.

He is survived by six children, four daughters and two sons. The funeral will be held at 3 o'clock this afternoon from the residence, burial at Greenwood cemetery, Rev. O. E. Bryan will Officiate.

Sunday Oct. 25, 1914


Mike McSheehy, aged 73, died last night at 8 o'clock, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. J. Flanagan, 1220 Clay Street.  The funeral will take place this afternoon at 4 o'clock from the Church of the Assumption,  interment to be made at Holy Cross cemetery.

For the past three weeks Mr. McSheehy had been confined to his bed, though he had been in ill health for several years.  He had been a resident of Waco for the past 30 years, and he came to the United States from Ireland, his native country.  There were few here who had a wider acquaintance than Mr. McSheehy,  especially among the older inhabitants of Waco.  Always loyal to his friends, there was no sacrifice her would not make to aid them.  He was generous and liberal to the fullest extent at all times, and he was ever at the service of the distressed and unfortunate.  Quite and unostentatious at all times, he never gave publicity to any of his many good  deeds.

Besides the daughter here, Mr. Mcsheehy is survived by another daughter and two sons.  They have the sincere sympathy of many for their great loss.

Monday Oct. 26, 1914


Prominent German Citizens Passed Away Yesterday After Week's Illness - Funeral Today.

A stroke of paralysis, which manifested itself a week ago yesterday, while he was attending a mass meeting of German-American citizens at the Maennerchor club rooms, resulted in the death at 9:30 0'clock yesterday morning of Herman Siemers, aged 55, who passed away at his home, 1418 North 5th Street.  The funeral took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, services being conducted by Rev. J. Jaworski, pastor of the German Evangelical Zion Church.  Interment was made at Oakwood, and the German Veterans association took charge of the body at the grave.

Active pall bearers were: M. Petzold, E. Winkler, E. Blans, M. Hille, J.Northdurft, and  W. E. Schramm.  Honorary, Dr. A. Suhler, S. Archenhold, C. Mailander, F. Mailander, J.K. Rose and John Hunke.

Herman Siemers had been a resident of Waco about four years, coming here from Riesel, where he located in 1891. At that place he was engaged for a number of years in the lumber and hardware business, and soon became one of the most prominent residents of McLennan county.  He was born in Hamburg, Germany.

As a result of industry and perseverance, Mr. Siemers amassed considerable wealth. He was agent here at the time of his death for the Hamburg-American Steamship Company.

Mr. Siemers was one of the most prominent and popular of the many German residents of this city.  He was conspicuous in every movement here that tended to better the community, from every standpoint, and his optimism and cheery good nature acted as an inspiration to all who were associated with him in enterprises of various kinds.  Among his innumerable good traits, none was more marked than his intense loyalty to his friends.  He was ever at their disposal, particularly in time of need, and there are many here whose distress and suffering were alleviated as a result of Herman Siemers benevolence.  He was the soul of honest and intergrity in his business dealings, and his word,in every instance, was equivalent to his bond.

Besides his widow, Mr. Siemers is survived by seven children.  All of these have the sincere sympathy of many in the loss of a devoted husband and father.

Monday Oct. 26, 1914


 Mike Hennessy Took His Own Life Sunday Morning
In Rooming House on Square.

A dose of carbolic acid resulted in the death early yesterday morning, in a lodging house on the south side of the square, of Mike Hennessy, aged about 63, one of the oldest residents of Waco to engage in the butcher business.  The remains are being held at the undertaking establishment of  L. C. Puckett, pending an effort that is being made to locate some of the dead man's relatives.

The remains were reviewed by Justice J. J. Padgett.

News of Mr. Hennessy's death became generally known before noon yesterday. It was understood that he had financial reverses recently, and had become despondent as a result.  He went to Dallas and Fort Worth a short time ago in search of work, which he was unable to procure.

Mike Hennessy had been a resident of Waco for at least forty-five years, and many years ago he was employed in the old city market house, which was later replaced by the structure known as the Peerless building, at the corner of  Fourth and Franklin.  As to his own affairs, he was always very reserved, and he had few, if any, confidants.

It was due to his liberality towards his friends more than any other one thing, perhaps, that prevented Mike Hennessy from becoming a rich man.  The cry of distress was never heard by him without producing instant and generous response, and few knew even the full extent of his benefactions.  Mike Hennessy was of the type of man to whom publicity and notoriety were always distasteful, and he never spoke of his good deeds.

No man in the state engaged in the butcher business was regarded as  being more capable than Mike Hennessy, and his name was known in hundreds of households here.  He retained his energy and activity to the very last, and he joked and chatted with the keeper of the lodging house where he roomed only a short time prior to his death.

Mr. Hennessy's wife died here sixteen years ago, and she is buried in the family Lot at Holy Cross cemetery.

Waco Daily Times Herald
Wednesday Oct. 28, 1914


Barge at Lock and Dam Broken from
Moorings, and One of the
Crew Perishes.

Jumping from a barge which had been swept down the river by a sudden rise, F. M. Parham was drowned yesterday at the lock and dam.

Parham was 21 years old.  He was employed on the construction work, with a fellow workman,  Louis R. Boatner on the pile-driving barge, which was moored to the east side of the river.  They were driving piles for the east end of the coffer dam.

Unexpectedly a seven foot rise swept down the Brazos.  They attempted to move the barge behind the completed section of the coffer dam,. but while they were in the act, the timber-head of the craft, by which it was moored, pulled loose, and the barge floated rapidly down stream.

A crowed of workmen and others ran down the bank with the barge, hoping to rescue the men.  After they had gone half a mile the drifting men began to cry that the barge was sinking.  They jumped into the river.  Boatner swam ashore.  Parham went down after a few strokes. The swiftness of the water prevented his rescue.

Under the direction of Captain Harris, in charge of the works, an effort has been made for the past twenty-four hours to recover the body, but has so far proved unsuccessful.

Parham was unmarried.  He came here from Mississippi about six months ago.  He was a member of Geyser City camp W. O. W.  He is survived by a brother, D. R. Parham at Gorman, Texas.

Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1914


 Shoots self in Temple at 7 O'clock
This Morning-Lived in County
Many Years

Times Herald Special

Riesel, Oct. 28.- Ernest Metthys, a farmer near Riesel, killed himself this morning at 7 o'clock.  He was found with a bullet wound in his temple, and a 22 calibre rifle by his side.

Mr. Metthys has been well known in the county for many years.  He was 50 years of age, and leave a wife and eight children.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, but it is probable that the service will be done tomorrow afternoon from the residence, four miles north of Riesel.  

OCTOBER 30, 1914

 Mrs. Andy J. Oliver, Mart R 4, died Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, following a lingering illness.  Deceased is a sister of T.A. Wooten of Mart and besides leaving a husband to mourn her loss, a three weeks old infant is left motherless.  Her mother also survives her, and much sorrow is felt among her many friends in Mart, where she was popular as a young lady before her marriage. Funeral services were conducted by Pastor W.H. Howard at the Methodist church, Mart, at 3 o'clock this afternoon, following which interment was made in Mart cemetery.
The bereaved ones have the sympathy of all their acquaintances.
This site designed and maintained by .
Copyright 2005.