This is a beautiful town on the west side of Connecticut
River, and supplied with mill privileges by Wells River, and Harimanís
and Hillís Brooks. These brooks have their sources in ponds of considerable
Newbury comprises the tract commonly called the Great
Oxbow, on a bend in Connecticut River. This tract is of great extent,
and celebrated for its luxuriance and beauty. The agricultural productions
of the town are very valuable, consisting of beef cattle, wool, and all
the varieties of the dairy. The town contains a number of mineral
springs, of some celebrity in scrofulous and cutaneous complaints.
The villages of Newbury and Wells River are very
pleasant; they command a flourishing trade, and contain manufacturing establishments
of various kinds. Some of the buildings are very handsome.
The scenery of the windings of the river through this fine tract of alluvial
meadow, contrasted with the abrupt acclivities in the north part of the
town, is very striking and beautiful.
The town is connected with Haverhil, N.H. by two
Newbury village is the site of a well conducted seminary,
under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal Church; but it is open to
Boundaires. North by Ryegate, east by Connecticut
River, which separates it from Haverhill, N.H., south by Bradford, and
west by Topsham.
First Settlers. The settlement of this township
was commenced in the spring of 1762. The first family was that of
Samuel Sleeper. The next were the families of Thomas and Richard
Chamberlain. John Hazleton also moved his family to Newbury in 1762, and
his daughter Betsey, born in 1763, was the first child born in town.
Jacob Bailey Chamberlain, son of Thomas C., born the same year, was the
first male child. The parents of the latter received a bounty of
100 acres of land, agreeably to a promise of the proprietors of the township.
Among the first settlers, in addition to the above, may be mentioned Gen.
Jacob Bayley, Col. Jacob Ken, Col. Thomas Johnson, John Taplin, Noah and
Ebenezer White, Frye Bayley, and James Abbott.
First Minister. The Congregational Church of
this town was formed at Hollis, Mass., in September, 1764. The Rev.
Peter Powers, the first minister of Newbury was installed over this church,
Feb. 27, 1765, and he preached his own installation sermon.
Distances. Twenty-seven miles south-east from
Montpelier, and twenty north-east from Chelsea. The Connecticut River
Railroad passes through this town.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 91-92)